Fan Clubs (beta)

Wolverine R.I.P. - Marvel Comics are killing off Logan in September

DC

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ly23hi.jpg

Cover by Steve McNiven

Screen Rant are reporting that Marvel Comics will be running the upcoming story arc (written by Charles Soule and drawn by Steve McNiven) called 3 Months To Live will start in June and culminate in the death of Wolverine on September 24th.

“For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he’s been the eternal victor. He almost always comes out on top. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight. What does that mean for this character who’s been around for hundred years?”

http://i62.tinypic.com/28sx8ba.jpg

The writer said that this will be a retrospective piece for both Logan as a character and the reader as a fan.

“He’s reflecting on his own life as he’s reflecting on his own death. We wanted to have the reader do that at the same time. In each issue, we’re focusing on a different aspect, or a different quintessential Wolverine.”

“You’re gonna be entering into a world without Wolverine. That affects not only his teammates, but also the Marvel Universe at large. We’ve got a lot of things in the works already.”

Guest John Hancock

I wonder how long that'll last. I give it three minutes. Literally three actual minutes before they bring him back. Superhero death publicity stunts are so tired now, the only decent one I can remember even slightly recently was Captain America, and that feels like it was like a decade ago.

I guess this is Marvel's reply to Batman punching their sales staff square in the balls every week, so I actually kinda of applaud the attempt to do something new, even if it is the most cliched publicity stunt in the entire industry; killing off a first rate character, and telling everyone months in advance.

EDIT: Some idiot savant actually made a list, which I will know partially steal. These are all the characters who have died in comics, and how long they stayed dead for. I'm only mentioning the ones non-crazy people care about;

Alfred Pennyworth - 2 years

Aquaman - 3 years

Batman - 1 year

Clayface - 20 years (fair enough on that one)

Doomsday - 3 years

Flash - 23 years (again, fair enough)

Green Arrow - 6 years / 9 years

Hawkgirl - 1 year

Hawkman - 1 year

Robin - 17 years (not fair enough, because it was dumb as shit)

Jimmy Olson - 4 months

Lex Luthor - 1 year

Martian Manhunter - 2 years

Ra's al-Ghul - 4 years

Shazam - 4 years

Superboy - 3 years

Superman - 7 months

Wonder Woman - 2 months

-

Apocalypse - 5 years

Ant-Man - 7 years

Aunt May - 3 years

Black Bolt - 2 years

Bullseye - 3 years

Captain America - 2 years

Colossus - 3 years

Dr. Doom - 2 years

Elektra - 1 year

Hawkeye - 1 year

Hobgoblin - 2 years

Human Torch - 9 months

Iron Man - 7 months

Loki - 6 months

Mr. Fantastic - 2 years

Mystique - 1 year

Nick Fury - 3 years

Nightcrawler - 4 years

Punisher - ONE MONTH

Sabretooth - 5 years

Spider-Man - 2 years

Thing - 1 year

Thor - 1 year

I'm not even going to bother counting the 17billion times Professor X has died.

Actually, looking at that list, I'm kinda glad they're killing him for three minutes, because it's weird to have a list of all the big comic book characters without Wolverine on it.

Edited by John Hancock

Superhero death publicity stunts are so tired now, the only decent one I can remember even slightly recently was Captain America, and that feels like it was like a decade ago.
It was in April 2007, so 7yrs ago this month.

This isn't the first time for Wolvie either. Personally I hope the overrated runt stays dead. That's what he gets for sucker punching Lobo in that bar fight that one time. In fact, I wish it was Lobo who puts the final nail in that hairy dwarfs coffin.

See you in hell, bitch!

Edited by Maxximus

Guest John Hancock
It was in April 2007, so 7yrs ago this month.

Yay! It's rare for me to think things are older than they really are. I feel so young.

This isn't the first time for Wolvie either. Personally I hope the overrated runt stays dead. That's what he gets for sucker punching Lobo in that bar fight that one time. In fact, I wish it was Lobo who puts the final nail in that hairy dwarfs coffin.

See you in hell, bitch!

It's hard with Marvel, seeing that they killed every single character they had in the Marvel Zombies storyline. Other alternate, wacky "what ifs" like that, I can't remember Wolverine actually being killed off, and then ret-conned back in, which his previous death being acknowledged before. Enlighten me!

Edited by John Hancock

WikiWikiWiki

In Wolverine vol. 3, #57 it is revealed that, when Wolverine is injured so seriously that his body actually dies before his healing factor can repair the damage, he returns to life by fighting with Azrael, the Angel of Death, while trapped in Purgatory, due to Wolverine defeating Azrael in combat in the real world during the First World War.[89] However, after Wolverine's soul was damaged following his resurrection and brainwashing by the Hand, he made a new deal with Azrael to repair the damage that had been done to his soul that negated their previous arrangement, with the result that, the next time Wolverine sustains death-inducing injuries, he will remain dead, and his healing factor has apparently been slightly weakened in the process.

http://i.imgur.com/IIog0N7.jpg

Guest John Hancock
OH BOO. There's few things I find lamer in comics than dead characters fighting their way out of the afterlife. It's up their with cloning.

That was the annoying thing with the Civil War storyline and the spin off What If. In one of the What If they just spawned a BUCKET load of Thor's that lead to the death of Tony Stark who tried to save Captain America's life. In return Captain America became the Iron Patriot and helped kick the asses of the Sentinel's AND the Thor clones because as we all know a Super Solider from the 1940's in a tin suit can always beat a clone army of Norse Demi-God's.

I give it six months before Wolverine is back and despite the earlier storyline his healing power will be unaffected - he just makes them too much money and despite the spike in one issue sales for his death issue, long term it will hurt Marvel which always amazes me why the death storyline is the go to for comic companies.

Guest John Hancock

I think it's the go-to because it's the only thing that gets them mainstream attention. Characters dying, and universal reboots. Think about the big comic stories of the last few years, and it's the New 52 at DC, and Spider-Man dying at Marvel. I think the fact that they're publicising it so far in advance, and the timing with the new X-Men movie coming out, means they'll have to keep him dead for at least a year just to avoid looking stupid. I think Marvel's biggest seller right now is either the Avengers or Spider-Man, so they can afford to take a hit with the X-Men and Wolverine for a year or two just to build up publicity.

According to the websites Comichron and Bleeding Cool, last months five biggest sellers were Batman, Superman, Forever Evil, Sandman and Spider-Man. Four out of five for DC. The month before that was Batman, Forever Evil, Wolverine, Spider-Man and Justice League. Three out of five for DC. January was Batman, Batman, Avengers, Justice League, Spider-Man. Three out of five again. Makes sense that they had to do something big.

I think the only reason Spiderman made it into the top 5 is because they're running the Otto Octavius/Superior Spiderman arc and relaunching Amazing Spiderman #1 off the back of that, which seems to have pulled a few readers in.

Guest John Hancock
It's crazy that, out of the 15 biggest comics of the year so far, Batman was the main hero, or co-main hero, in six of them.

Guest John Hancock
I haven't cared about Wolverine since they started uncovering stuff about his past. Either stay with the mystery or go f*ck your mother.

http://morethanshipping.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/recipe-774.jpg