Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who's the greatest boxer?

coleman

God it depends what you are after and what era you grew up in. Most people are going to say Ali and yes he was great. In my generation the boxers I grew up with and enjoyed would by possibly Tyson although I hate what he did afterwards that kind of tarnishes his accomplishments or for me Lennox Lewis. Lewis was one of the best boxers I have seen.

• 3 weeks later...
@Laffy it is very true that it depends on the era we grew up in. All those names you just mentioned actually ring a bell and one fight that is very clear in my mind is that of Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield. Boxing has really evolved over the years.

• 4 months later...
Guest airgold
It's so hard to determine who the greatest boxer is because of the differences in each era. Today's boxers have the benefit of science to help them maximize their abilities compared to someone from an era like the 1940s. That being said, one of my favorite boxers is the one who called himself, "The Greatest" when he was fight; Muhammad Ali.

Guest planetdoom
Iron Mike Tyson would have to be part of this discussion. When he was in his prime, he was terrifying and unbeatable. For whatever reason, he kind of went a bit crazy and his career started to go downhill from there, but I think he should be at the top of the list.