Fan Clubs | beta

Book vs. Movie

Guest Kira

Guest Kira
Which do you prefer? The book or the movie? I always try to read the book first and then watch the movie. Usually the movie leaves out so much and sometimes even changes the story.

Most of the time, books are more detailed. Some of the things in books can be translated to a single picture on the screen, while other sub-plots can take too much time to tell in a movie. But as long as they try, it's all good. Harry Potter is a great example of them trying to stick to the books as much as possible and for the most part, they did. Not many changes, just some stuff left out due to time constraints.

Guest planetdoom
Books because they provide more detail that movies often do. Movies seldom match what the author had in mind so you hear stories of authors who were really disappointed with what showed up in the theaters. One example that stands out to me is the movie, The Hunt for Red October. The movie ended about 3/4 of the way through the book and I was really disappointed in it.

Guest Evie
It depends on the work in question but I typically prefer books over their film adaptations. However that's not to say that there haven't been some truly wonderful adaptations over the years. It's enjoyable to see how someone else envisions a book I've read. It just goes to show that stories strike different chords with different people and I think there's something really beautiful about that.

Guest spotlight
I grew up on books so they will always be number one in my heart. Nowadays I find a nice balance. I think the books will be better than the movie 99% of the time but sometimes you just don't feel like reading a whole book. Sometimes watching a movie is a good way to let you know if you would like a particular story before investing a day or two into reading it.

I almost always have to read the book before I watch the film. I've always loved reading and can be a little pretentious about my books and their film adaptations. I cannot think of an example where I thought the film was better than the book. I'm sure it's happened, I just can't think of it.

Books. It seems that half the time the book is better than the big screen adaptaion. So if I have a read the book, I won't watch the movie. Movies I will watch if there hasn't been a preceeding book, or if I haven't read it.