Fan Clubs | beta

Music that made the game better

Guest milyt g. planet

Guest milyt g. planet

I've played and watched a good amount of video games, and I've come across a couple instances where, in my opinion, the music made the game feel better to play, or even better just to watch. There are many cases where I've read someone say the soundtrack "saved" the game, or turned it from a good game to a great game. This kind of thing happens with movies too, but in the case of video games it's a very unique version of that effect, since the music changes how you feel about what you're doing and interacting with. This makes sense, since hearing a good song can turn a bad day into a better one.

Are there any examples of video games, or moments in video games -- or movies -- that you felt were noticeably enhanced by their soundtrack, or music that happened to be playing in the background at the time. Do you like some games or movies just for their music?

Edited by milyt g. planet

Guest Incredible Iron
Final Fantasy series is my favorite when it comes to background music. I have downloaded some of the OST's of this game and listen to it while relaxing. There are some OST of RPG games that I like, but not as much as Final Fantasy.

Guest The Wild Things
I can't think of anything that was "saved" by a good soundtrack. I'm sure there's been something over the years but nothing is coming to mind. I think that the Kingdom Hearts games have great soundtracks that really add something to games that are already amazing.

Guest The Wild Things
Gimme Shelter will make any battle/fight game better. What game was that used for again? People made a lot of positive noise about that when it came out.

It was used in Call of Duty: Black Ops, so that's probably the one you heard a lot about. I thought it was a great touch too. I'd forgotten all about that one.

Guest milyt g. planet
Final Fantasy series is my favorite when it comes to background music. I have downloaded some of the OST's of this game and listen to it while relaxing. There are some OST of RPG games that I like, but not as much as Final Fantasy.

I also really like a lot of the music from the Final Fantasy games. FF6 has some of my favorite tracks in the series. FF10 prominently features work from one of my favorite composers, Masashi Hamauzu, and his style fits well with the watery, tribal, surreal aesthetic of the game. And FF12's ost was a nice change of pace, features another favorite composer of mine, and is technically impressive considering how the music on the original PS2 game was handled being even though the music sounded realistic, the tracks were actually played real time with soundfonts.

@The Wild Things Kingdom Hearts and KHII are also among my favorites. The music in the series overall is one of its defining traits, in my opinion. The music from the first two games left a strong impression on me.