Fan Clubs | beta

The Dying Breed of City-Building Gamers

Guest Meerkat

Guest Meerkat
I love playing city-building games like The Sims Series, Caesar IV, Pharaoh, Emperor, Zeus, Tropico Series, and other games I can't recall. The problem is there aren't enough players who like this kind of games so developers don't create games like these any longer. I was expecting for Tropico 6 to be released this summer but was moved to the end of this year.

Guest Incredible Iron
I'm playing The Sims 4 every now and then. I think this game genre is not dying. There are still a lot of players who like simulation games. In my opinion, simulation games are just evolving like Anno.

Guest Meerkat
You may be right Incredible Iron. Civilization is one of the games I like because I play both city-building and strategy in just one game. Civ is also evolving in every time a new installment is released.

Is Minecraft included in this genre? Minecraft still seems to have a cult following, especially since the developers made game play compatible with all devices and someone with a PC can participate with someone who is playing on a tablet.

• 4 weeks later...
There are many city-building games you can find on the mobile platform; SimCity has many competitors. The Sims, on the other hand, is the real dying genre; I haven't found a house-building and character-building game after them. It does make you wonder if players these days prefer actions and social interactions instead of compelling stories. It isn't necessarily bad, but it is an unfortunate situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlexMack
There are quite a few city-building games out there but most of the ones I've seen are either apps or through social media. I wish there were more city-building games out there that weren't linked to social media (or my wallet). I also wish there were more games like The Sims, @Glimm. There's nothing else out there quite like 'em.