Fan Clubs | beta

Movie Trailer Bait

Guest Incredible Iron

Guest Incredible Iron
I like to express a pet-peeve. Movie trailers of today are mostly baits for people to watch the movie. In the infinity War trailer, Hulk was with Captain America when they attacked the forces of Thanos in Wakanda. In the movie, Hulk was not there. In the Mission Impossible 6 helicopter chase trailer, Hunt was almost hit by a truck while driving a helicopter. In the movie, that scene never appeared.

I haven't viewed any trailers where the scenes never appeared in the film, but I've seen several that were grossly misrepresented. If the director and producer knew that scene would draw a crowd, why didn't they just shoot it that way to begin with? It does my head in when the movie trailer is more compelling than the film.

Guest chelsea45
They are made to build our curiosity, showing the things we want to see so that we will buy the tickets. I have never experienced a discrepancy so huge that it ruined my experience at the theatre. I didn't remember that much of the trailers anyway. In the case of Infinity War, it didn't matter because there were many things we could focus on and the fights themselves were impressive. The example with MI6 seems more disappointing than that.

I've found that the worse offenders are usually comedy films. They tend to show all of the funniest parts in the trailer. I understand why they do it but really it hurts the film's success more than it helps. It gets me to see it but it won't make me recommend it to others or purchase it/rent it again. Giving people high expectations can be a bad thing when you've got a lackluster film on your hands.

Guest Meerkat
It gets me to see it but it won't make me recommend it to others or purchase it/rent it again. Giving people high expectations can be a bad thing when you've got a lackluster film on your hands.

I share your sentiment on this matter. The first people who have watched the movie will be the first critic. They will determine whether others will watch it too.

Guest milyt g. planet

I'm passingly familiar with other instances of scenes in movies' advertisements being entirely absent from the film itself, but I hadn't noticed this regarding Infinity War. It doesn't surprise me though, everything today is click bait. Sometimes it can seem like companies don't put enough effort into doing things with the consumer in mind.

Franchises of all kinds seem to think there has to be some sort of mystery to every product, or some kind of flat out untruth to reel people in, in order to compete in a very crowded market. While the implementation of some mystery, suspense or even misdirection isn't entirely a bad premise to go by, there are obvious directions this line of thinking can take that will rub the consumer the wrong way.

In the case of Hulk appearing the Infinity War trailer but in Hulk Buster armor in the movie - That could be intended to not give away story. If we saw Banner in the Hulkbuster Armor, we'd know something was up that was preventing him from transforming into Hulk. So instead, show him as Hulk in the trailer and save that bit of the story for the movie itself.

For MI6, who knows. Maybe it was a piece of scrapped footage, or maybe it was intentionally sensational. I agree that if you're gonna deliberately shoot a trailer like that but leave it out of the movie, why not just shoot the movie that way? But whatever.