Fan Clubs | beta

The future of documentary movies

Guest Luna

We are familiar with this format for a serial on TV, but the movie format is something I don't hear often. Now that a few concert films are gaining more popularity, I wonder if we are looking at a potential new trend in this industry.

Guest Incredible Iron

What I see with movie trends is that a genre will appear and other producers or studios will follow suit. The problem with that strategy is that movie houses will be saturated with that genre that people will stop seeing them.

As for documentary films, they come and go. Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, The Imitation Game, and other successful documentary films have changed our society on how we see things. These documentaries will continue to be shown as we love watching what happened in our history.

What I see with movie trends is that a genre will appear and other producers or studios will follow suit. The problem with that strategy is that movie houses will be saturated with that genre that people will stop seeing them.

As for documentary films, they come and go. Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, The Imitation Game, and other successful documentary films have changed our society on how we see things. These documentaries will continue to be shown as we love watching what happened in our history.

I believe that trend is created by the players of the industry. They could've made documentary films a popular genre if they want to, though I suppose it's a very limited niche and variations are unlikely to happen due to the format. It's also rare to see the Western industry working on documentary beyond historical stories.

@Luna I only know of Bohemian Rhapsody unless you're counting musicals. What am I missing? I think more of this theme would be interesting to watch depending on the band or singer.

This is one example. It's different from Bohemian Rhapsody as the example is more of a live documentary than a spin-off, and it only covers one band which is currently riding on their worldwide popularity, but it makes me wonder if the whole industry has neglected one potential field.

Recently, I saw on YouTube that Backstreet Boys and Westlife made new music. With their history and past influences, I think fans would flock to the cinema to see them regardless of the genre. The concept can be expanded further beyond musicians as we've seen some people did in the past.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Incredible Iron
Speaking of musical films, I'm excited to see the movies Yesterday. It is a story where a man entered a parallel universe where the Beatles band don't exist and he became famous by singing the songs of the Beatles.