Fan Clubs | beta

How you get better at your favorite video game

coleman

How was it when you first started out? I kept getting killed at Call of Duty until I learned how to use the equipment properly. I improved my skill by learning the maps and selecting the gun that best suited me. I also noticed that when I used the gaming headphones (back then I didn't wear them all the time) I would hear someone shooting and react appropriately. Edited by coleman

This thread took me way back. Are you all old enough to remember those magazines with Nintendo's 800 hotline that you could call for expert help? This was way before the internet and gaming guides/cheats became a thing. I never called the hotline, but the question reminded me of it.

Guest Mecha Jaraxxus
@Poppy I certainly remember those. I used to have loads of those magazines but can't say I ever rang for expert help! Personally, I find all the walkthroughs and cheats available online really suck the fun out of a game.

YouTube is my friend in order for me to get better or to pass a very difficult level of the game. I have unlocked secret passages, that I normally don't know about, through watching other gamers play the game.

Practice is the best way to get good at a video game. I also used to get killed a lot in Call of Duty when I first started playing. However, I got better over time. Also, I believe diversifying your opponents can improve your gaming skills.

Guest Incredible Iron
Time and learning from my mistakes will help me become better at my game. Changing tactics or strategy is also a key in order to become better, cue Plants VS Zombies.

Indeed, the more we play, the more we get good at whatever video game we've embarked on, at times subconsciously. YouTube has evolved into a really useful tool for most gamers. Learning from mistakes is also a great way to get better.

Guest FlyyGurl
I think it is a matter of finding out how you focus best. I play best when there is quite some distance between me and the TV, especially with games like GTA I get very dizzy when I sit too close to the TV and my focus is off. I have not tried gaming headphones yet, but I definitely need to not have any distraction around, such as different sounds in the background.