Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  33 members  ·  Free

Virtual Reality

New Oculus Quest

DandyMandy

The Oculus Quest, a new standalone VR headset, will be released this week. So far, tech reviewers seem to think it's a good improvement in VR gaming. I was feeling a little iffy about buying one until I saw the games that are coming along. The Oculus Quest is a bit pricey, but the games are surprisingly affordable. I'm interested in the latest Creed and Paranormal Activity the most. What do you think about the new VR headset and games? Are you planning to get one soon, will you wait until it's been out a while, or will you skip it all together?

Guest macroclick
I've been laying low on this front. I think it's the common belief that the software hasn't fully caught up to the hardware in this industry but they're certainly making advancements every day. The Quest looks like another step in the right direction. Then you can add in the hardware concerns between the shear bulk and weight of the devices and of course the hefty price tag that goes with them. Then along the way to making a decision about a purchase you realize there are many players in the VR space and it's very hard to tell which one is going to perform well compared to the others. I'd say the entire industry needs another decade under it's belt.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought it and it's surprisingly good! Much better than previous iterations. Right now I'm really into Superhot which is super fun and immersive and it's easier to play without a bunch of wires. I still find it jarring to take off the headset, but I'll get used to it as time goes.