Fan Clubs | beta

What is the best 90s video game ?

Guest Ravishing Empire

Guest Incredible Iron
It depends on what game genre you like to play. My favorite arcade game was Mortal Kombat. When Command and Conquer appeared on the personal computer, then I spent most of my game time with that game.

Fun question :D I'll have to break it down by system, too.

PC - Star Wars: Jedi Knights Dark Forces 2, hands down. I loved everything about that game, but especially the multiplayer. Lightsaber battles were so amazing, people building custom mods and levels and player-skins for it, oh man it was advanced for the time. Honorable mentions to Command & Conquer Gold and Starcraft as well.

NES - Super Mario Brothers 3

Sega Genesis - NBA Jam: Tournament Edition. I'm not really a basketball fan, it's just this game was ridiculously absurd with power ups and crazy dunks and it was hilariously fun. Honorable mention to Sonic, of course.

Nintendo 64 - Super Smash Brothers. Honorable mentions to WWF No Mercy, NFL Blitz, and Mario Party series.

Playstation 1 - WWF Smackdown 2. Honorable mention to Final Fantasy 8 and 9.

I didn't ever own a SNES. I did really enjoy Super Mario World though.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favourites were Donkey Kong Kountry, Mortal Combat, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Many lasses were into skaters at that time, so I became a skater for a couple of years.)

What about you @Ravishing Empire?

Nintendo 64 - Super Smash Brothers. Honorable mentions to WWF No Mercy

Playstation 1 - WWF Smackdown

Wrestling games were much more playable in the 90s! I don't know what happened to the last two releases but both have been full of glitches. At least from what I saw.

The last WWE game I played was WWE2k16 I think. I also did WWE2k13 and either 12 or 14 for a bit (The one that CM Punk was the cover of). While I liked them, I felt they always left something to be desired as far as the submission system and countering system.

I look at Smackdown 5: Here Comes The Pain as the best wrestling game in my opinion. WWF No Mercy is super excellent too, but Smackdown 5 had an absolutely flawless counter system that you could get perfect at (Although some people may not like that as it'd lead to an insane counter war between 2 pro's).

I'm guessing glitches could be more common due to having to make these games cross-platform. I mean in years past, it was exclusive to console. You'd have a different WWE series for the X-Box, different for Playstation, different for Gamecube. But then they decided to just combine them all in to the WWE2K series and make them work on all consoles + PC and I imagine that sometimes creates unexpected glitches.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing glitches could be more common due to having to make these games cross-platform. I mean in years past, it was exclusive to console. You'd have a different WWE series for the X-Box, different for Playstation, different for Gamecube. But then they decided to just combine them all in to the WWE2K series and make them work on all consoles + PC and I imagine that sometimes creates unexpected glitches.

That's such a charitable way to look at it and I'm glad you shared this viewpoint. It makes sense really. I always assumed the games hadn't been thoroughly tested or that the developers knew there would be issues, but were rushed to meet a deadline, wanted to hurry up and make money, or just didn't care about the playing experience as long as it sold. I also figured DRM might have something to do with it as most of my games work better once the update comes out that removes DRM.

You're probably right too, though. They release these games every year, and I believe other game series that do that in the NFL/NBA/MLB space probably have their own share of glitches too due to the speed at which they're developed. They obviously will test as much as they can, but deadlines are deadlines.

• 2 weeks later...

The 90s was my gaming golden era I guess. Young enough that I had time to endlessly play video games and old enough to finally get good at it.

Amen!

I started writing out a list of games I liked but then I realized that wasn't the question. You asked what my favorite game was. I don't know how I could give that to any game other than Goldeneye.

Guest Incredible Iron
While I was reviewing this post, I was surprised that nobody mentioned the Gameboy. Zelda and Dr. Mario were my favorite games on the Gameboy platform.