Fan Clubs | beta

Is stand up comedy still popular?

jack25

It feels that the comedy posts are shifting, with a lot more scrutiny and a desire for this art form to get more socially conscious. Political comedy isn't what it was back then plus there is heightened awareness now, than ever before. Is it time for comedians to change tact?

I think our tastes in comedy are always changing, just as it does with other forms of entertainment. Stand-up comedy is still going strong. The UK has some hilarious comedians at the moment, but if you aren't a citizen there, you have to catch much of it on YouTube. Check out Michael McIntyre for instance.

I agree with you @DandyMandy about our taste in comedy always changing, but it seems like the successful stand-up comedians talk about real-life issues. Look at how Michael McIntyre humorously talks about the fridge? Again, is it always me who feels like all these comedians speak fast?

I saw the new Azia Ansari show on Netflix. He talked about social subjects, but maybe he felt pressure to do so because of what happened — and he talked about that, too. It seems most topics are still okay to talk about onstage, but not women's bodies (if the comedian's male) or racial joking (if not the comedian's race).

I'm watching Crashing on HBO. It's a pretty recent semi-autobiography about a comedian who splits from his wife and most of his religion. It doesn't get into social issues, but the daily struggles of trying to "make it" connect, IMO.