Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

I've seen this done on other forums and in honesty, there have several times where I've wanted to say certain things on wrestling that don't really need me to make a thread on them. So I figured this'd work here. Basically, just use this thread to make idle comments as you think of them, or to reply to the thoughts of others.

I'll kick us off.

I'm watching Raw Is War from May 26th 1997 and it's sad to know how bad Jerry Lawler became. He used to be a great heel and cut a great promo on Goldust, saying that he kisses men like a "f*g" and that his daughter Dakota should have been called Target because "everyone had a shot".

He then takes on the babyface Goldust and gets lots of cheers from the pro-USWA and pro-Lawler crowd. Even through cheating, the heel gets cheered as he wins the match. Ah, good days.

It's just so sad to know that most people think of Lawler as an old guy who can't accept growing old. In reality, he was one of the greatest babyfaces in wrestling history, and a great heel too.

Your turn :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jack

You know what is genuinely turning me away from wrestling? Fans. I'm absolutely fed up of great atches being spoiled by morons who think they know what they are talking about. In particular, UK fans. I watched a fantastic tag match last night, between The Briscoes and Strong and Aries. Absolutely great match, but the fans almost ruined it totally. Every chop Strong did got a massive reaction and even chants of "Holy Sh*t!!". A butterfly suplex got one of the biggest pops in the match, and for no reason at all.

another problem with these UK fans is how they used American chants. In America, it obviously works, but when have you ever heard a British person say "Holy sh*t" in real life? Nobody really says "Awesome" either. The "Let's go ..." bit is usually chanted in an America accent too. It annoys me so much.

Then you get those who try to make a name out of themselves by being a kn*bhead. Those who chant stpid stuff all the time. What's the point? I remember seeing Super Dragon, who I can't stand, make one of these idiots almost sh*t himself, because Dragon reacted to his nonsense.

What happened to politely clapping at good sequences, popping for big moves, booing heels, cherring faces and reacting to the finish? The only good crowds in America at the moment are in the WWE. TNA, ROH and other indy fans are morons. There is o many matches getting spoilt by people it's incredible.

WWE fans arent so innocent. Standing up and waving every time they appear on the tron. Yes we know you bought front row tickets and we can see you, so could you please sit down and stop acting like a child.

Guest Twig
What happened to politely clapping at good sequences, popping for big moves, booing heels, cherring faces and reacting to the finish? The only good crowds in America at the moment are in the WWE. TNA, ROH and other indy fans are morons. There is so many matches getting spoilt by people it's incredible.

Why can't people work a headlock for 15 minutes anymore? Why won't nobody believe an aerial finisher is if doesn't have at least half a flip or a twist in it? Why isn't every promo cut with the wrestler screaming at the top of their lungs with their face shaking and turning red? I call it progress.

It's also down to the size of a crowd. It's harder to get an innovative chant started in a big crowd, and what's wrong with wrestler's interacting with fans?

Guest The Beltster
Why can't people work a headlock for 15 minutes anymore?
Because modern fans are morons and 2007 wrestlers dont know how to work. IF they knew how to work, they would be able to slap on a headlock for 30 minutes and keep the crowd.

Guest The Beltster
I'd say only the former is true. You throw in anyone... Rock, Austin, Hogan, who all know how to work, and they wouldn't last 10 minutes with a headlock without getting booed to Jesus and back.
I disagree. You put Hogan in there with Austin specifically with Hogan as a heel and he would work a headlock for 10 minutes and the people would be going crazy, I have no doubt. All you need to do are the little things. Let Austin get to the ropes while the ref is distracted and pull him back into the centre of the ring with the headlock still applied, hold it for a while while yelling at the fans telling them how much they suck. Let Austin work his way out and before he breaks it smack him in the bollocks and control the headlock back down to the mat while still working the fans.

It would work and it would show people that because its a boring hold doesnt mean it has to be boring to watch if done right by people who can work and people who the fans care about.

i feel the only way to survive a 'Spud' match is to chant 'Spud's on steroids'

and one of my favourites is when Christof and I started a 'Cena takes it up the arse chant' at the Earls Court RAW a few months ago, pure comedy

Ah yes, the gay joke....the last refuge of the humourless.

Guest Da Showstoppa
just watched the HBK heel turn on Janetty and listening to Heenan's commentary reminded me how much of a great heel colour he was. 'janetty tried to escape by going through the window!' or something like that, bloody funny

Heenan was class back in those days. I've said before, but in my opinion the Royal Rumble in 1992 was his defining moment. Including;

Flair goes to lowblow taker "Did you see that, he tried to lift the Undertaker!"

"I never thought I'd say this but thank you Roddy, it's not a skirt it's a kilt" (Roddy attacks Flair) "Why you no good creep, you skirt wearing freak - it's not a kilt it's a skirt!" :lol

Mike

Guest DanielFullard
Great idea for a Thread Draven. Be interesting to see what direction this thread goes in. Should be fun.

Guest Dave7g
If it makes anyone feel better, John Cena is apparently taking a leave of absense later on in the year. I'm fine with that - if anyone deserves it, it's him. The guy has worked far too hard over the last two years. He deserves a break.

Yes, we all need a break.

Guest SuperKick Kid
If it makes anyone feel better, John Cena is apparently taking a leave of absense later on in the year. I'm fine with that - if anyone deserves it, it's him. The guy has worked far too hard over the last two years. He deserves a break.

Hopefully that leads to a Shawn Michaels WWE Title Reign :)

Hardcore Homecoming is so crap! Not a single good match on the show.

It got by on the ECW nostalgia bandwagon which was at its peak in 2005. The card is great on paper though. On second thoughts, it has one of Raven/Sandmans best encounters.

Guest The Great Ahmar
It got by on the ECW nostalgia bandwagon which was at its peak in 2005. The card is great on paper though. On second thoughts, it has one of Raven/Sandmans best encounters.

Granted its ok 9Raven V Sandman) if you don't have to sit through the tripe before it!

Well, I was going to quote one particular person in this post, but I couldn't decide on one, so I'll just say that my post pertains to the discussion of wrestling fans that started with Jack and went down for about 5 posts or so.

Some wrestling fans (American ones, of course, since I haven't had much experience with U.K. fans) are just so stupid (granted, some are very smart and wise). Something that bugs me is pretty much any interview WWE.com has done with fans hyping a PPV or whatever. They act like big idiots. You'll see a rare few who are actually genuine and not a "puppet", but WWE (and maybe TNA, I don't know) seem to focus on the dumbest fans they can. Now, I'm not saying it's dumb to have your favorite wrestlers or that it's dumb to be a fan of a face, but when you say things like (for example), "Cena is the best champion ever, no one can beat him" (I'll pass up the oppurtunity to point out how stupid the "You Can't See Me" deal is) or they say things that really don't make any sense. Like when fans will say "so-and-so" will win because he/she's "the whatever". For example, if a fan was asked what they thought about Batista, they would say something like, "Batista can beat anybody, because he's The Animal". Granted, alot of the fans who say things of the sort are "impressionable minds".

While I'm on the subject/rambling session of WWE, the fans, and the such, is anyone else a little "bothered" by the latest WWE Shop commercial? It's such a stupid idea. I'm talking about the one that says things like, "You can't be the champ, but this shirt will give you American Made Muscle" or "You can't beat The Deadman, but this shirt will make you a phenom". That's just dumb advertising. Suggesting that wearing a t-shirt will make you a "phenom" or give you "American made muscle" is not only stupid, but it's got to befuddle the wrestlers as well (whether they admit it or not). No matter what is said about wrestlers, you can't deny that they work hard at what they do and as the "Don't Do This At Home" PSA's say, "they have a lifetime of experience". So to say that wearing a shirt makes you as good as the Undertaker or as charismatic (retch) as Cena seems a little degrading in a way.

I'm pretty much jumping around and rambling anyways, so why not go ahead with this?

Why can't the WWE make up their mind on what to call two particular ECW superstars (and Originals)? That, of course, being Nunzio and Stevie Richards. First, they called him Nunzio on SmackDown!, then when ECW was brought up as a third brand, they called him Little Guido, then they decided to incorporate his real last name and call him Little Guido Maritato, and finally they went back to calling him Nunzio. What's the deal? Why is it so complicated to settle on a name for a jobber? Then there's Stevie Richards. While his name has remained fairly constant, there's always a contrast somewhere. At first when he went to the new ECW, he continued to be called Steven Richards, but was often referred to as Stevie Richards. Then his name started being announced as Stevie Richards, however, his name plate that appears on screen still reads Steven Richards. To me, the era of 'Steven' ended with the Right to Censor.

It just occured to me as I was typing that last paragraph, but did anyone else miss not seeing The Godfather make an appearance on what was to be a "Mr. McMahon Memorial"? Obviously, there were more important things going on at the time, but what I'm saying is, I hope WWE finds a spot to bring him in for an appearance. The character is so entertaining to me.

Now I've talked about the WWE pretty much this whole post (not to mention about 97% of my other posts and threads), but something regarding TNA kind of puzzled me that I read the other day. I read that TNA is "allegedely" meeting with FOX to put a secondary show (to iMPACT!) on the network. That's all well and good, but it seems backwards to me. I mean, FOX is a bigger network than Spike TV (FOX is one of the "big ones" in the TV channel circuit with networks like NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.), so wouldn't it make sense for TNA to try and flip the deal and use the oppurtunity to have iMPACT! be on FOX and then spring for a secondary show on a smaller network (of course, it probably wouldn't be Spike)? Possibly their old channel at FSN? Just a thought.

I swear this is my last gripe for this post. It's a gripe that has bothered me for sometime and that is the USA Network. If WWE RAW (and other programs that are run like AM RAW or their SNME specials on NBC) are such a big ratings draw for USA, why does USA always postpone RAW for stuff that no one cares about? Like tennis and stupid dog shows. This just in USA, there's channels for this crap. Dog shows can be on Animal Planet and tennis can be on ESPN or one of their other networks. I might understand if USA postponed RAW for a "good" reason, like if there was a breaking news story or if the president was giving a speech or something (even though that takes up about a dozen channels as it is). I just never quite understood why these things took such precedence over the big draw in RAW (I didn't rhyme intentionally).