Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Who is signing with new AEW?

Poppy

I took a small break from watching professional wrestling and it looks like I've missed a lot! I'm rather shocked that a new organization has formed. Do we know for sure who is signing with AEW? All I can find is gossip. I wonder if that's why Dean Ambrose is leaving WWE.

Chris Jericho is on board with AEW, but from what I've read he was part of it from the get-go. There have been loads of names thrown around, but it's mostly just gossip. What I've never quite understand is whether the wrestlers' contracts allow them to compete with different groups or if they're locked into one organization. @Kam do you know the answer to this one?

@BamBamsGurlMoo what do you make of Dean Ambrose leaving the WWE? I thought he might be torn up about Roman Reigns having leukemia again and might have gotten a new perspective about life, fame, and wrestling and decided to quit. But maybe he's leaving the WWE for the AEW. Or, perhaps his injury is acting up again. What do you think? I haven't paid much attention to The Shield crew lately.

• Heart 1

Thanks for the info @Mr.Windham29, I knew something would come out eventually. I remember that Chris Jericho denied his involvement several months ago when the rumors first started. That's not surprising, though. It looks like he's collecting a nice paycheck from the AEW for making the switch. Jericho's never been a favourite of mine, but he's definitely a solid performer. I'm interested to see what happens on Feb. 7th.

What I've never quite understand is whether the wrestlers' contracts allow them to compete with different groups or if they're locked into one organization. @Kam do you know the answer to this one?
It depends. If you're a WWE Superstar then you'll be bound to be locked in and they usually have a clause in their contracts if a wrestler quits they can't just go to a different company, they need to sit out for a period of time. Companies like RoH and Impact will have some kind of restriction but they usually allow their wrestlers to compete for some other organisations so the wrestlers can supplement their income.
  • Heart 2

Guest BamBamsGurlMoo

R

Chris Jericho is on board with AEW, but from what I've read he was part of it from the get-go. There have been loads of names thrown around, but it's mostly just gossip. What I've never quite understand is whether the wrestlers' contracts allow them to compete with different groups or if they're locked into one organization. @Kam do you know the answer to this one?

@BamBamsGurlMoo what do you make of Dean Ambrose leaving the WWE? I thought he might be torn up about Roman Reigns having leukemia again and might have gotten a new perspective about life, fame, and wrestling and decided to quit. But maybe he's leaving the WWE for the AEW. Or, perhaps his injury is acting up again. What do you think? I haven't paid much attention to The Shield crew lately.

Rumors are he is going to AEW. I really don’t know. Seems to be a lot of hype about AEW but will they last like the WWE has..

I took a small break from watching professional wrestling and it looks like I've missed a lot! ...

Me too! I can't find my thread titled returning to wrestling at just the right time, but I made it only weeks ago.

But anyways Kam, can your digital computer brain search through the archives of TWO and find that one card I posted that had matches like John Cena vs Hulk Hogan and Mick Foley vs necrobutcher? It was shouted down by the denizens of this forum at that time, as an incoherent mess of a card, but which I feel is being very powerfully reflected in the matches announced by AEW so far.

When the time comes, the Revival could walk into AEW; perhaps after a 6 month holiday, and be THE top heel tag team of the company. A feud with the bucks, and Cody's bleeped out catchphrase "f*** the Revival!"

Edited by Twigg

It's amazing at how fast they're moving. The AEW was just a whispered rumour not long ago and now they have a stable of wrestlers and shows lined up.

@Kam thanks for replying. Another big rumour floating around is that Brock Lesnar is considering signing with AEW, or at least he's using the possibility as leverage, but I figured it was rubbish because the WWE has surely locked him down. Then again, I think his contract allows him to go back to the UFC so maybe it's open-ended and he has more agency than I thought.

• Heart 1

I would hope AEW doesn't look to Brock Lesnar. While that is big name value, it's also BIG MONEY and not much return on investment, I'd imagine. I'm sure Brock would sell tickets and views, but you'd only be able to afford using him to make 1 or 2 appearances and a match. That money probably would be better spent on other talent or production values and stuff.
  • Heart 1

Me too! I can't find my thread titled returning to wrestling at just the right time, but I made it only weeks ago.
> Returning to Wrestling Fandom Just In Time

But anyways Kam, can your digital computer brain search through the archives of TWO and find that one card I posted that had matches like John Cena vs Hulk Hogan and Mick Foley vs necrobutcher? It was shouted down by the denizens of this forum at that time, as an incoherent mess of a card, but which I feel is being very powerfully reflected in the matches announced by AEW so far.
I managed to find it! HERE. You made that post nearly 12 years ago! :omg: I just noticed you registered as a new username, if you want to merge the accounts let me know!
  • Heart 1

There's been little talk on gossip sites about WWE women who are considering signing with the AEW. I wonder what fan favourite Becky Lynch thinks about it.

Seems to be a lot of hype about AEW but will they last like the WWE has.

I never expected it to materialize and figured all the gossip about a new wrestling company forming was just chatter. Competition is a good thing though. I was surprised when the WCW went under, but once it happened the WWE seemed to take both their wrestling talent and fans less seriously. I'm not sure how successful the AEW will be, but I bet it will drive the WWE to step up its game.

Double Or Nothing sold out in just 4 minutes during general public sales today.

AEW has a hell of a lot of momentum coming out of the gate. I'd expect sometime between now and May, they'll pick and announce a TV deal. Idealistically, Double Or Nothing would be their debut show and then they could pick up the next week or soon after with weekly TV.

Even with as much hype and momentum as AEW has, don't start jumping too far ahead yet. WWE is an enormous entity with deep pockets. Asking if AEW will be able to stick around as long as WWE has, or if they'll start new wrestling wars is premature at this point.

I think that as long as they get a good TV deal (and it looks like they will), they'll likely be able to rapidly solidify themselves as the #2 wrestling promotion in the North America region. If they keep putting out good quality wrestling and avoid the death-traps that WCW fell into (using old talent as main eventers and not creating new stars, as well as horrible writing) and not relying too heavily on prior WWE talent to build their company around (Like TNA/Anthem/Impact Wrestling) then they have a good chance of enduring and maybe one day trying to take WWE head-on.

But that will likely be years from now, if it ever happens.

For now, I think they're best off just focusing on being an awesome alternative to the WWE for fans and talent alike, and they'll do well. Besides, if they ever enter a war with WWE, that means eventually 1 of them loses. Doesn't matter which one, but the winner would probably face the same problem WWE did when they beat WCW - Lack of competition = stagnation. They don't need to have their TV/PPV's on the same time and night to compete.

• Heart 1