Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  19 members  ·  Free

Anime

Studio Ghibli season on Filmfour

Guest Anime Otaku

Guest Anime Otaku

Wasn't sure how many people in the UK know this but Filmfour is going to be showing several of the Studio Ghibli anime movies starting with the Castle of Cagliostro at 4:55 pm tomorrow.

The slight problem with it of course are adverts and the fact that as far as I can tell from the ads they are only showing Dubbed versions of the Movies not subbed, probably still worth a watch though for anime fans IMO.

Guest Anime Otaku
F4 is on freeview, can't tell you what channel though sine I am on Telewest (Ch 444), might tell you on their website though.

Guest Anime Otaku
Is F4 on freeview' date=' If so what channel? I may watch a few of these.[/quote']

The Filmfour website says that the channel is on Channel 31 on Freeview,Channel 315 on Sky,Channel 701/50 on NTL,Channel 444 on Telewest.

Also the second of the Studio Ghibli Season is Kiki's Delivery Service and is on today at 4:45pm

Guest Anime Otaku
yeah the Advert breaks are annoying, I'd even put up with 10 to 20 minute ad breaks if theywere only on between the movies.

Guest MrFill
Because it's now free they have to fund it another way - this means it's now like any traditional channel (barring BBC which you have to pay for with the license).

Guest Anime Otaku

Yeah that is true, still sucks though, wish they just had ads in between movies. Anyone been watching the Studio Ghibli movies? Pincess Mononoke was the one on yesterday (since its after midnight) can't remember what one is next but I know I've not seen it.

EDIT: I looked up the Filmfour site and it's Laputa: Castle in the sky.

Edited by Anime Otaku

Guest MojoPogo
Having watched Princess Mononoke, i can safely say its one of the finest things, i've ever had the good fortune to watch. And i for one, shall be doing catch up so to speak!

Guest Anime Otaku
Princess Mononoke is good but I know that My Neighbour Totoro is on later this week, you should watch that, its really slow paced and its basicly a fairytale so it doesn't have the excitement of PM but it is a great watch and as you can see from my avatar the art is wonderful. Also if they show it or you decide to invest in some Studio Ghibli movies make sure to get Spiritrd Away, its like a combination of the MNT fairytale elements but the action and modern animation of PM and did I mention SA won a best animation Oscar.

Guest MojoPogo
Princess Mononoke is good but I know that My Neighbour Totoro is on later this week, you should watch that, its really slow paced and its basicly a fairytale so it doesn't have the excitement of PM but it is a great watch and as you can see from my avatar the art is wonderful. Also if they show it or you decide to invest in some Studio Ghibli movies make sure to get Spiritrd Away, its like a combination of the MNT fairytale elements but the action and modern animation of PM and did I mention SA won a best animation Oscar.

Spirited Away i already have. Its an utter classic of the genre i feel. I heartily agree with you, the artwork is spectacular. Is Howl's Moving Castle Studio Ghibli? :xyx

Guest Anime Otaku
I think it is, it might actually be on later this week, I did look at the film four site but can't remember when it's on if it is being shown.

Guest MojoPogo
Yeah, i have Howls moving Castle as well. Im no anime afficionado though, i only buy the stuff that appeals to ME. Not necessarily the most popular, or even critically acclaimed. Fist of the North Star and Vampire Hunter D are my favourites.

Guest Chriscare
yeah the Advert breaks are annoying, I'd even put up with 10 to 20 minute ad breaks if theywere only on between the movies.

Who's gonna sit through 10-20 minutes worth of adverts, i'm sure they have enough trouble with people channel surfing during 4 minutes of adverts

Guest MrFill
Who's gonna sit through 10-20 minutes worth of adverts, i'm sure they have enough trouble with people channel surfing during 4 minutes of adverts

It's what Sky do on Sky Movies - a film might finish at 10 minutes before the hour, so they show 10 minutes of adverts, for shows for products, and then the next movie will start on the hour.

Guest Anime Otaku
yeah they actually started using that as a bit of a selling point that the movies don't have breaks in them.

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen any of Ghibli movies. :( But that will be rectified soon!

And showing twenty minutes of adverts between films would be daft - no advertiser's going to pay to be slap-bang in the middle of that segment, hence FilmFour wouldn't have a larger enough revenue stream to pay for films.

Does anyone know if the advert breaks are "terrestrial-style" or "satellite-style"? Terrestrial stations seem to have fewer and shorter breaks with more high-profile advertisers.