Fan Clubs | beta

I Quit My Job!

Guest Gothic Angel

Guest Christof
Those "You can get a job in IT where the average wage is 40,000" adverts always get people. Welcome too the most over subscribed industry in the world!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FreeSpirit
Those "You can get a job in IT where the average wage is 40,000" adverts always get people. Welcome too the most over subscribed industry in the world!

So are £30K per year Train to be a Driving Instructor "learn in your own time, and it wont affect your current work committments" adverts.

Guest Da Showstoppa

Well as long as I get the MCSE and they're paying half of it - I don't mind. Especially if I get the guarantee in writing (which should arrive soon)

I'm damned if I'm going to be on the bottom rung all my life.

Guest FreeSpirit
I quit my job last month. (Warehouse)

I was basically working my nuts off everyday for them for a pittance and it was the jobs that no-one else wanted to do. Really filthy nasty sweaty backbreaking stuff.

Basically it was also the politics and backstabbing too. We also got one of those "jobsworths" as our supervisor and he was a tw@t. He kept bringing in his family and friends to do the extra jobs (which were better) rather than allow us to.

Seemed like my mate and I were carrying the shite all the time and the end came when someone called me "lazy" and I threatened to punch them. I was summoned for a verbal warning and then told that my workrate was unacceptable. I replied that I had sweat blood for them and never got a raise in 3 years. Then the supervisor decided to play some games to get me in more trouble (told me I could take lunch at 1:30 - 2 so I did and he told the boss he'd said 1-1:30 and was doing me an hours money - plus the boss called me a liar too) so I went into the boss' office and told him to stick it.

I calmed down later and we negotiated a payoff - basically I was paid two weeks after I left (which at least was decent) But the job was making me ill.

Now I've been accepted on an IT learning course with a job guarantee at the end, so I'm looking for temporary work through my agency. When I qualify I'll be an MCSE (That's Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) and looking at annual wages of £23K+ Also I've always wanted to work with computers.

I didn't want to quit without lining something up - but I couldn't stand it anymore. My wife and parents wanted me to walk out ASAP too.

Good on you Showstoppa. I had a similar crappy job at the start of this year, and had the same politics/backstabbing crap that you had to put up with, not to mention it was extremely physically demanding (carrying cast iron baths and granite worktops etc) for little pay.

No appreciation whatsoever either, and they were threatening me with the sack, so I also told them what they could do with their job. Best decision ever seeing as I have a great job now.

Guest Da Showstoppa
I'm glad I did it, but at the moment it seems like a bad call (financially) as the agency doesn't seem to be coming up with much. I have set the wheels in motion on the training course though.

Guest FreeSpirit
Keep your head up Bro, just keep on perservering and call the agency every day to see if they have any work available. Things will eventually work out for you Mate.

Guest ahsatan
I'm glad I did it, but at the moment it seems like a bad call (financially) as the agency doesn't seem to be coming up with much. I have set the wheels in motion on the training course though.

We're employing, but you probably don't want me telling you what to do. :lol

Guest Da Showstoppa
We're employing, but you probably don't want me telling you what to do. :lol

Why? Who do you want killed? :lol

Anyway I have news. My course is due to start on the 29th and I'm currently setting up the career loan etc.

On the job front I have got a placement that starts Monday for £7.50 an hour (which is a helluva lot better than I was earning) I'm a stock administrator which basically means I'll be entering stuff on a computer all day - while other people hump the heavy stuff around! It's actually a good move as it bridges the gap between warehouse work and office work nicely.

Also after a month of being bored outta my skull and having no money, It'll be nice to have a sense of purpose again :) And money :good222:

Guest Da Showstoppa
by the way if you can find an entry level IT job for 23K I'd like to know where it is.

Well "entry" with a MSCE qualification! That's what they said. But technically I wouldn't consider a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer as an "entry level" But it is a guarantee of 23K anyway. Just got to pass the bloody thing first :) Also I'm receiving management training as well so I'll be better equipped to take on more responsibility.

Guest Da Showstoppa
Any IT experience? The cert won't get you many jobs on it's own.... not to try and discourage you. that said if it works you can bet i'll be the first one out there buying an MCSE manual! :)

EDIT: try this website http://www.certfourms.co.uk for lots and lots of really usefull info about certs and cert providers.

Thanks. The course is setup as if I was working, I'll be given simulated working situations to deal with - their goal is so I can come straight off the course and into real life situations with as little jump as possible. Like training on a simulator before getting in the plane.

The company has made a financial commitment towards getting me ready for their clients. If it falls through - they foot the bill. I know it sounds too good to be true sometimes!

If you're interested in following my route the company is Computrain :)

Don't take this the wrogn way but I'd never study through a company. If it's too good to be true then it usually is. Are you paying for the course or is it part of a scheme? I'd self study any cert I was taking based on the fact that it's almost always miles cheaper, the resources you can find yourself are almost always mroe accurate and better supported than the manuals and stuff you get given on courses and I can study the way I want in my own time frame.

Check out certforms and see some on the reviews and comments people have made about companies and see if Computrain has a good rep. Also read any small print and check to see what they are actually tied into (ie the job at the end does it have to be permemnant and actually at the 23k level the said you'd get, are you tied to them financially, if you quit the course do you have to pay etc).

I hope it's good for you though, IT is a great field as long as you can deal with users!

Guest Da Showstoppa

Thanks for the advice. They foot 50% of the course fee and I get 80% of my half from the Government (Learning trust). Which I pay back as per Student loan when I'm employed after the course.

If they fail to get me a job - they pay the loan back as well as their 50%. I get to keep the qualification too. So the most I lose is £650. (I can probably claim that back too)

They seem extremely open and helpful, and there's nothing to suggest I'm being screwed. Computeach and UKITTraining both sprung the money on me after I had spoken to them and passed entry tests/interviews. So I'm wary that some are ripoff merchants.

All I have to do is put some hard work in, and that's not unreasonable.

Guest Da Showstoppa
Good, well I hope that they keep their side of things. Looking at the website it seemed to suggest that you'd be doing the ECDL, A+ and N+ as well. Is that right?

Yeah sounds right. I've got three sides of A4 printed out on the course content somewhere. Plus they're throwing in £1500 worth of management course too (one month incentive deal)