Just for anyone that's a dragonball fan, here are some stills from the film

http://dbthemovie.com/images/screenshot/db1.jpg

http://dbthemovie.com/images/screenshot/db2.jpg

http://dbthemovie.com/images/screenshot/db3.jpg

http://dbthemovie.com/images/screenshot/db6.jpg

http://dbthemovie.com/images/screenshot/db9mn2.jpg

http://dbthemovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bulmaposter.jpg

Guest ScottyB

I have to see this, just to see how the Anime to live action works out.

It's also things like this that make you wanna sit down and watch **** loads of Dragonball.

I saw those pictures yesterday, and I am now utterly convinced that this will be the worst live action anime film EVER. Anyone who knows me knows that Dragonball is my favourite anime, with Dragonball Z coming up second, but I've been doubting the whole film since it first got officially announced...

I'm surprised James Marsters allowed himself to be looking like that as Piccolo Daimao (King Piccolo, to those who saw the Dragonball English dub), it looks nothing like the Demon King, more like a Star Trek character that's just walked out of an S&M party.

I could go on with ranting, but I honestly don't feel I need to when the evidence is right there in the pictures. :'(

Here's three more pictures from the trailer that's supposedly out in October:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/Cyber-Ninja/atrailer2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/Cyber-Ninja/atrailer1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/Cyber-Ninja/atrailer5.jpg

Master Roshi makes me sad too...

Edited by Reno

Guest Kanenite
I'm still not sure about it. I'll end up seeing it with a few mates who were into DBZ, but feel I might come out disappointed. Still should be a laugh, some of the characters could be painful though.

I saw those pictures yesterday, and I am now utterly convinced that this will be the worst live action anime film EVER. Anyone who knows me knows that Dragonball is my favourite anime, with Dragonball Z coming up second, but I've been doubting the whole film since it first got officially announced...

I'm surprised James Marsters allowed himself to be looking like that as Piccolo Daimao (King Piccolo, to those who saw the Dragonball English dub), it looks nothing like the Demon King, more like a Star Trek character that's just walked out of an S&M party.

I could go on with ranting, but I honestly don't feel I need to when the evidence is right there in the pictures. :'(

Here's three more pictures from the trailer that's supposedly out in October:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/Cyber-Ninja/atrailer2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/Cyber-Ninja/atrailer1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/Cyber-Ninja/atrailer5.jpg

Master Roshi makes me sad too...

I agree, this film will stink. Looking at those pics, they have completely screwed up Piccolo, Master Roshi, and Goku, and the whole way they have seemed to have done them (judging by the pics of course) is sacreligious to the anime.

If they wanted to make a film that fans could take seriously, they could've made it like Final Fantasy Advent Children with CGI. The other thing they should have done is keep it Japanese produced, and have Akira Toriyama oversee the production.

This isn't the first attempt at a live-action film by the way, as I have this obscure nonsence on DVD!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_The_Magic_Begins

That film stank. This one will too.:xyx

I find it kind of hilarious how many people are writing this movie off already, when, in my eyes, all the changes they've made are in the effort to not make it a niche, crappy title.

Number one, I think most people watched DB and DBZ as kids and when they reflect upon it, grossly overrate it. In DBZ especially, which is the biggest by far here in the States, the fight scenes are horribly drawn out, stories are go from cliche to just outright ridiculous, and the characters are awfully flat and generic. Not to mention, the visuals, if directly translated to live action, would just make everything reek of B-movie failure.

Instead, they've tried to make everything a bit more feasible, and from what I've read, are striving for epic fights and visuals. i.e., they're going about making a proper action movie.

I find it kind of hilarious how many people are writing this movie off already, when, in my eyes, all the changes they've made are in the effort to not make it a niche, crappy title.

Number one, I think most people watched DB and DBZ as kids and when they reflect upon it, grossly overrate it. In DBZ especially, which is the biggest by far here in the States, the fight scenes are horribly drawn out, stories are go from cliche to just outright ridiculous, and the characters are awfully flat and generic. Not to mention, the visuals, if directly translated to live action, would just make everything reek of B-movie failure.

Instead, they've tried to make everything a bit more feasible, and from what I've read, are striving for epic fights and visuals. i.e., they're going about making a proper action movie.

The show is too drawn out? It's meant to be, their called filler episodes.

As for the characters, how are they generic? Here I will prove that they are not flat and generic:

Son Goku - A family man who must use his Saiyan/Saiyajin powers to rid the universe of its biggest threats. His character gets more complex as the series progresses.

Vegeta - A surviving Saiyan from Frieza/Furiza's attack, he is probably the most complex character in the show, as he turns good after being evil but always has a certain amount of evil in his heart. He also starts a family, and finds it difficult to balance his emotions.

Piccolo - A Namekian, who was also originally evil, he officially turns good after training Goku's son Gohan. He also sacrifices his own life to save Gohan, and don't forget that he is linked with Kami/God who created the Dragonballs. He is not as complex, but he is unique.

How can you say the characters are generic? I've only described three of them, and they are far from generic, getting more complex from the start of DragonBall, to DragonBall Z and finally to DragonBall GT. If you want examples of generic characters, watch something like Pokemon, Digimon or even to a lesser extent Naruto.

The world of DragonBall is far more complex than you think.:xyx

The show is too drawn out? It's meant to be, their called filler episodes.

As for the characters, how are they generic? Here I will prove that they are not flat and generic:

Son Goku - A family man who must use his Saiyan/Saiyajin powers to rid the universe of its biggest threats. His character gets more complex as the series progresses.

Vegeta - A surviving Saiyan from Frieza/Furiza's attack, he is probably the most complex character in the show, as he turns good after being evil but always has a certain amount of evil in his heart. He also starts a family, and finds it difficult to balance his emotions.

Piccolo - A Namekian, who was also originally evil, he officially turns good after training Goku's son Gohan. He also sacrifices his own life to save Gohan, and don't forget that he is linked with Kami/God who created the Dragonballs. He is not as complex, but he is unique.

How can you say the characters are generic? I've only described three of them, and they are far from generic, getting more complex from the start of DragonBall, to DragonBall Z and finally to DragonBall GT. If you want examples of generic characters, watch something like Pokemon, Digimon or even to a lesser extent Naruto.

The world of DragonBall is far more complex than you think.:xyx

I fully well know DBZ characters and was once obsessed with them. I was 12 once to.

Now, the only thing that changes about most characters in DBZ is their power levels and abilities.

Aside from Vegeta and (future) Trunks, I'm struggling to recall characters having complex personalities. Goku is the fun-loving good guy, who when his friends and families are threatened, because serious and very strong. When the main character of a series is a stock character, you already know what road you're going down.

Gohan, despite a brief (and I mean BRIEF, in the universe, it probably lasted like 5 minutes, but of course, being DBZ, stretched across two episodes) bout of over confidence during his fight with Cell, remains the same person (until the timeskip when his stereotypical child behavior traits become teenage ones).

Just, flat characters. For all the experiences they have, it sure doesn't reflect on their personalities (again, except for Vegeta and future Trunks, who almost by default are the most enigmatic characters in the series).

Compare this to Gundam Wing, which started and finished during Z's run. Heero Yuy and Zechs Marquise, the focal characters of the series, have the way they look at life and their decisions and actions changed by the experiences they have. (despite the fact that Heero is blasted as probably the dullest main character in Gundam history).

You mentioned Piccolo, who, in the early going, was the best example of a round character, however, once he went good, he never again swayed from the spot.

• Heart 1

I fully well know DBZ characters and was once obsessed with them. I was 12 once to.

Now, the only thing that changes about most characters in DBZ is their power levels and abilities.

Aside from Vegeta and (future) Trunks, I'm struggling to recall characters having complex personalities. Goku is the fun-loving good guy, who when his friends and families are threatened, because serious and very strong. When the main character of a series is a stock character, you already know what road you're going down.

Gohan, despite a brief (and I mean BRIEF, in the universe, it probably lasted like 5 minutes, but of course, being DBZ, stretched across two episodes) bout of over confidence during his fight with Cell, remains the same person (until the timeskip when his stereotypical child behavior traits become teenage ones).

Just, flat characters. For all the experiences they have, it sure doesn't reflect on their personalities (again, except for Vegeta and future Trunks, who almost by default are the most enigmatic characters in the series).

Compare this to Gundam Wing, which started and finished during Z's run. Heero Yuy and Zechs Marquise, the focal characters of the series, have the way they look at life and their decisions and actions changed by the experiences they have. (despite the fact that Heero is blasted as probably the dullest main character in Gundam history).

You mentioned Piccolo, who, in the early going, was the best example of a round character, however, once he went good, he never again swayed from the spot.

Fair enough, I was just trying to say that they are more complex than some Anime characters I've seen. Series like Gundam Wing and Neon Genesis Evangelion have much more complex characters, I understand that. DragonBall characters are still more complex than some of the rubbish Anime characters I've seen, and that's what I was comparing them with.

I don't wan't to start an argument, I just kind of go overboard sometimes!:lol

This isn't the first attempt at a live-action film by the way, as I have this obscure nonsence on DVD!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_The_Magic_Begins

That film stank. This one will too.:xyx

I've heard of that one and seen a few pictures here and there, but luckily I've never seen the actual feature. :lol

Not to mention, the visuals, if directly translated to live action, would just make everything reek of B-movie failure.

That's probably why they're basing it on the last series of Dragonball instead of DBZ, so it's mroe about the fighting and less Kamehameha waves. I'm happy to see that, I'd just like the characters to look a little... better? and more true to the Dragonball anime.

I've heard of that one and seen a few pictures here and there, but luckily I've never seen the actual feature. :lol

Trust me, you don't want to see it! Unless you like bad movies of course....:lol

It was made illegally in some place in China, and they had to change the characters names and attacks to avoid a lawsuit!:lol

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Trust me, you don't want to see it! Unless you like bad movies of course....:lol

It was made illegally in some place in China, and they had to change the characters names and attacks to avoid a lawsuit!:lol

I enjoy a bad movie every now and then, so I may try to hunt it down if I remember to.

Yeah, I heard they changed Son Goku into Monkey Boy or something similar. :lol

I enjoy a bad movie every now and then, so I may try to hunt it down if I remember to.

Yeah, I heard they changed Son Goku into Monkey Boy or something similar. :lol

Yep, they changed Son Goku to Monkey Boy (and the person playing him is actually a girl!), Yamcha to Westwood (WTF?!:lol) and various other names. The main villian is unique to the film, but he is supposedly based on Emperor Pilaf.

By far the stupidest scenes in the film are the flying scenes, in which Master Roshi (called something else of course) fly's underground :lol (and when they fly in the sky, the wires holding the actors are clearly visible! :lol)

Also, Puar somehow turns into a bird! :lol:lol It would be worth tracking down if you see it cheap enough, just for the laughs.:xyx

Edited by ShaolinHandLock