Fan Clubs | beta

Grand Theft Auto IV Discussion

Fidel Cashflow

Guest Clarkey
Strong detail; facial expressions in particular, but also the door splintering. A few physics glimpses as well. Disappointing there are still no glimpses at actual gameplay, but I guess they are saving that as their trump card to show off at E3. Also noticed the lack of cars, with only about 2/3 on the streets. Sure it's nitpicky highlighting that out from a trailer, but one would hope this isn't the case with the final game; a great landscape, but with no life. Edited by Clarkey

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dave7g
Seems to be a lot more serious this time from the storyline we saw there. It looks amazing though, almost as good as when GTA3 was first revealed.

Guest Anime Otaku
Yeah looks good, the bit when our guy says "I'm the one that survived" is intriguing especially if you take it with the line about him searching for years, maybe it's to do with how he ended up in LC, perhaps a brother or other relative was murdered and he's caught up to the killer.

Guest Marshall Mac D
The graphic's are sexy the whole storyline seem's exciting and yeah very serious the bloke i also really like now since liberty city is rough tough place you need a rough tough person he is ideal for it when the door when with the those splinter's very nice indeed soon as i know when game is pre ordering i get my piece of this fantastic game.:worship

Just a heads up. Trailer at 6pm UK Time, on Marketplace and the website.

Can I get a url, please? And don't just say yes as if I were asking if tmy obtaingin the link were theoretically possible. :doh32: :lol

From the first impressions, I thought I was going to dislike this game. One of the reasons the GTA franchise has been so good is, it's a game you can relax and play. It's easy, fun storyline, lots of comedy and stuff like that. When the details of this hard faced immigrant came out, I was sure it'd be far too serious throughout. Maybe it stil is I don't know, but from this latest video, I'm looking forward to it now. It looks fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Clarkey

From CVG, some more details out of Games TM:

The first details on the multiplayer mode in GTA IV, which Rockstar promised to "reveal soon" last month, have emerged.

According to a preview in the latest issue of Games TM, one multiplayer mode will allow players to face off against each other, but they have to find each other first, before filling each other with lead.

Apparently, players who commit enough crimes to raise their wanted level to seven stars will appear on the radar, opening the door for the other player to track them down and deal out some death.

Talking about the single-player quest, Games TM reveals that the game will feature an in-game internet that will play an important role in the game. As one example, it describes Niko uploading his CV in application for a job, so as to get an interview with the boss - who he has to kill.

Advertisement:

Niko will also use his mobile phone to order and purchase weapons - so no more trips to ammunition shops then, hopefully.

Similar to Driver: Parralel Lines, players will also have new, more realistic ways of avoiding cops.

A more realistic recognition system means that if you drive into a secluded area during a chase, where no-one can see you getting out of your car and into another, you can emerge in the new vehicle and drive right past a squad car without being noticed.

Hopefully the game will consider the cops' ability to see through the windscreen if you go past them head-on.

All good stuff, and there'll be loads more revealed soon, no doubt, so stay tuned.

Guest frednut

that in-game internet sounds interesting. In true rockstar fashion i bet they'll be some amusing things on it. A return for TW@T'S internet cafe that's in GTA3 is on the plate then.

more news at:

http://www.xboxic.com/news/3196

best bit's below:

* The demo begins in Grand Theft Auto IV’s equivalent of Times Square: Star Junction. There aren’t many pedestrians present at this time, but this is most likely due to the early nature of the code.

* The mobile phone can be used to gain weapons. In the demo that GamesTM saw, Niko calls his associate Little Jacob, who is a caribbean arms dealer. After a brief chat with Jacob, he tells Niko to meet him in an alleyway in Rotterdam Hill, where he purchases the weapons from him. No more Ammu-Nation it seems.

* Niko can use taxis to get around (presumably he can use the phone to call a taxi). The police are much more vigilant in GTA IV, and sometimes it is less hassle using a taxi than jacking someone’s car. The trip-skip option is available for convenience.

* Missions in GTA IV can be interrupted. The interview isn’t until tomorrow, which means you can carry out other business until then. This suggests you can do several missions at the same time, and missions can take place over several days, perhaps.

* Committing crimes isn’t as easy in GTA IV. You gain a wanted level for every crime you commit, aslong as there are witnesses present. Once you have gained a wanted level, a visible (circular) search area appears on the radar, and if you escape this area without being spotted, your wanted level will flash and disappear. If you are spotted, however, the search area’s position changes, and centers on where you were last spotted. So unlike previous GTA games, the police don’t always know where you are. They can’t catch you unless they find you first. It was confirmed previously that in GTA IV every street will be named, and this is what cops use to communicate when they are tracking you down. There are no Pay N’ Spray’s to save you this time, unfortunately.

that in-game internet sounds interesting. In true rockstar fashion i bet they'll be some amusing things on it. A return for TW@T'S internet cafe that's in GTA3 is on the plate then.

more news at:

http://www.xboxic.com/news/3196

best bit's below:

* The demo begins in Grand Theft Auto IV’s equivalent of Times Square: Star Junction. There aren’t many pedestrians present at this time, but this is most likely due to the early nature of the code.

* The mobile phone can be used to gain weapons. In the demo that GamesTM saw, Niko calls his associate Little Jacob, who is a caribbean arms dealer. After a brief chat with Jacob, he tells Niko to meet him in an alleyway in Rotterdam Hill, where he purchases the weapons from him. No more Ammu-Nation it seems.

* Niko can use taxis to get around (presumably he can use the phone to call a taxi). The police are much more vigilant in GTA IV, and sometimes it is less hassle using a taxi than jacking someone’s car. The trip-skip option is available for convenience.

* Missions in GTA IV can be interrupted. The interview isn’t until tomorrow, which means you can carry out other business until then. This suggests you can do several missions at the same time, and missions can take place over several days, perhaps.

* Committing crimes isn’t as easy in GTA IV. You gain a wanted level for every crime you commit, aslong as there are witnesses present. Once you have gained a wanted level, a visible (circular) search area appears on the radar, and if you escape this area without being spotted, your wanted level will flash and disappear. If you are spotted, however, the search area’s position changes, and centers on where you were last spotted. So unlike previous GTA games, the police don’t always know where you are. They can’t catch you unless they find you first. It was confirmed previously that in GTA IV every street will be named, and this is what cops use to communicate when they are tracking you down. There are no Pay N’ Spray’s to save you this time, unfortunately.

Some very interesting, changes there. Makes it more realistic, but I personally like to bust out a random cop chase. Take it up to four stars, find a police bribe or two, and get sprayed with them right on my ass. What about police helicopters? If you get too many stars in 3, Vice City and San Andreas you start getting chased by helicopters, normally you'd just whip out a rocket launcher or bazooka and blow them out of the sky. but I've never seen a televised police chase in which a driving or running assailant actually escaped. They've got infra red on those things!

Guest MojoPogo
Helicopters most likely will though. With this more realistic tack, i guess they're going down the, you cant really fly a jumbo round a heavily skyscrapered conurbation.....and they'd be right in this case. And as its totally based in and around the city, with no open or country areas.....

Guest Slim Jim

Well... there was this one time...

I'd say it's more along the lines of where did Average Joe Eastern European learn to fly a Jumbo Jet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Great Ahmar
Grand Theft Auto IV delayed to 2008

[uPDATE] Take-Two pushes back blockbuster to next year, saying "additional development time required" to finish game; annual earnings estimate plummets by over $200 million.

The overcrowded monkey house that was the 2007 holiday release season lost one of its 800-pound gorillas today. Without warning, this afternoon Take-Two Interactive stunned the game industry by announcing it was delaying Grand Theft Auto IV to the second quarter of its 2008 fiscal year, which begins on February 1, 2008. Published by Take-Two subsidiary Rockstar Games, the crime-action title had been slated to ship for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in North America on October 16, 2007.

"Take-Two is reducing its fiscal 2007 guidance primarily to reflect the movement of the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007 to fiscal 2008, due to additional development time required to complete the title," the company said in a statement issued after the Wall Street markets closed.

Unsurprisingly, not having GTA IV in its 2007 fiscal-year lineup has put a serious dent in Take-Two's earnings expectations. The company's guidance is now for net revenue of $950 million to $1.0 billion for the 12 months ending October 31, and a loss of $1.25 to $1.35 per share. That figure is over $200 million lower than prior estimates of $1.2 billion to $1.25 billion in annual revenue--which would have been "break even results" according to the company's second-quarter earnings statement. With the AO-rated Manhunt 2 on indefinite hold, Take-Two now expects net revenue between $275 million to $300 million for its fourth fiscal quarter, with a net loss of $0.05 to $0.10 per share.

"Obviously, we are very disappointed to reduce guidance after having previously reaffirmed it," said Take-Two CEO Ben Feder. "Other than a matter of timing, the movement of Grand Theft Auto IV does not compromise Take-Two in any way. We are in sound financial condition and have a great product lineup."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6176074.html?a...estnews;title;2

WHY????????????????????????

Guest Anime Otaku
The game sounds nearly complete already. Maybe they hit a major bug or they are simply holding it back until the MH2 controversy is over, though Rockstar North seemed more likely to have tried to use that to their advantage.