Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  19 members  ·  Free

Anime

Anime

Guest Kanenite

Guest Kanenite

Recently i've been looking at some Anime and have been reminded of some good old memories from Dragonball Z. I'm going to start watching Cowboy Bebop as i've been recommended this before from a mate. And i'm thinking of buying the Dragonball Z DVD's as they're just awesome.

Does anyone recommend anything else to watch? As i'm starting to show a keen interest in Anime.

Guest Reno

One Piece, Bleach, Neon Genesis Evangelion, AKIRA, Trigun, Crayon Shin Chan, Naruto (don't by the dvd's by Manga, they're horrible apparently) and Death Note.

I didn't like Bleach the first time I saw it a few years ago (I was in year 10 or 11), I bought it on DVD recently and have been hooked on it. One Piece and Shin Chan are being released soon-ish, and more importantly uncut and unedited, as the One Piece dub was horrible, though I did enjoy the theme song.

For the Dragonball Z dvds, go on Amazon. They sell the uncut boxsets on there from America. Word of warning though, the sound isn't the best when you watch it in Japanese, if you're like me nad have to watch your anime in Japanese with English subtitles.

Guest Al Stevens
Of course other good anime films include ghost in a shell, fist of the north star and Blood the last vampire hunter and if you want a gaming treat Street Fighter 2 (of course my anime knowlage is very very limited)

Guest Anime Otaku

Depends what sort of thing you like really, but to start off with I'd try Ghost in the Shell (though the second movie GITS2: Innocence is kinda weak, but the Stand Alone Complex tv show is one of the best series I've seen. I'd go so far as to say it's an Eva beater.) Neon Genesis Evangelion (though it gets VERY heavy after episode 13)

Bleach is certainly worth getting if you like DBZ.

Martian Successor Nadesico is a great Giant Robo romantic comedy... in space.

Excel Saga is just a great silly comedy series, though it parodies other shows at times so maybe just put that on the list to get in the future, and if you like it get Puni Puni Poemy, it's made by the same people and has several of the same VAs, but only the director NabeShin (Shinchiro Watanabe) appears in both.

Movies wise I'd say any Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movie is worth checking out especially Princess Mononoke, Spirited away, My neighbour Totoro, The Castle of Cogliostro (sp?), Kiki's delivery service and Porco Rosso. Be warned several Ghibli movies (Kiki and MNT especially) are kinda lacking a real plot but are so beautifully made everyone should watch them atleast once. Again I'd reiterate my GITS love, I personally found AKIRA disappointing but others love it.

EDIT: Al's right the SF2 movie is great as is FF7: Advent Children. From what I hear though the Mortal Kombat anime was AWFUL.

Edited by Anime Otaku

The Mortal Kombat live action movie was very fine for its time (the sequel though...)

I've stopped watching the Naruto anime and picked up on the manga during the fillers, and I've given up on Bleach as well. The fillers and the pacing of the show become unbearable (almost DBZ level, which in retrsospect, was ridiculous).

My favorite animes are Gundam (specifially the early series' involving Char, and now, Gundam 00), Initidal D (although it you're not into cars don't bother), and Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Death Note, which in my opinion, are the three best anime series' ever. They had points, and they got in and accomplished them. No meaningless lagging. Just 26 (36 in Death Note's case) episodes and one hell of a story.

As for movies? Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

I didn't like Bleach the first time I saw it a few years ago (I was in year 10 or 11), I bought it on DVD recently and have been hooked on it.
Why would you buy something on DVD if you didn't like it?

I also don't get all the love for Akira; I found it to be decent, but not the groundbreaker it's heralded as. It's like anime equivalent of 'The Godfather' in that it seems to be a movie a lot of people say they like because they feel that they have to, like it's the cool thing to do.

Guest Al Stevens

Oh i remembered one as well.

Samarai Pizza Cats. Look it up on you tube it was brilliant when it was released

Guest Reno
Why would you buy something on DVD if you didn't like it?

I also don't get all the love for Akira; I found it to be decent, but not the groundbreaker it's heralded as. It's like anime equivalent of 'The Godfather' in that it seems to be a movie a lot of people say they like because they feel that they have to, like it's the cool thing to do.

Because it was on sale for cheaper than the RRP, and I wanted to see if I could try and get into due to all the love by other people.

Oh, and for those fans of anime from the 80's, volume one of Voltron is released on the second of June.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I keep seeing Guyver anime DVD's in HMV but never have enough money to buy them with, I am a huge fan of the 2 live action Guyver movies and really want to get the anime dvd's too

Other then that though I am not much into Japanese Anime

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Ball Z is the only ainme that i really liked/still like.

Dragon Ball was ok aswell and I though GT was decent as well.

Guest Anime Otaku

I forgot to mention Bubblegum Crash/Crisis/Tokyo 2040 are worth getting, though a bit old looking now. Elfen Lied, good story but very dark and emotional too.

Planetes, nice Rom-Com set in space in the near future but it's 'hard' Sci-fi i.e. more realistic, for instance the engines of craft moving through space are silent as in real life.

Cowboy Bebop, just an all round excellent series, great theme tune too.

Outlaw Star, been ages since I saw this but I remember it being good.

The Mortal Kombat live action movie was very fine for its time (the sequel though...)

I've stopped watching the Naruto anime and picked up on the manga during the fillers, and I've given up on Bleach as well. The fillers and the pacing of the show become unbearable (almost DBZ level, which in retrsospect, was ridiculous).

My favorite animes are Gundam (specifially the early series' involving Char, and now, Gundam 00), Initidal D (although it you're not into cars don't bother), and Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Death Note, which in my opinion, are the three best anime series' ever. They had points, and they got in and accomplished them. No meaningless lagging. Just 26 (36 in Death Note's case) episodes and one hell of a story.

As for movies? Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

Yeah I did the same thing with Naruto. Thre manga's so far ahead, and so much has happened that I rarely even bother even checking out the sand viallage arc in the anime. But also, I just don't like Naruto's voice in either Japanese or English.

Yeah I did the same thing with Naruto. Thre manga's so far ahead, and so much has happened that I rarely even bother even checking out the sand viallage arc in the anime. But also, I just don't like Naruto's voice in either Japanese or English.

Something I've realised too, is that the fights in Naruto II don't really need animation for me to really enjoy them. Kakashi, Rock Lee, Neiji, and old Sasuke are character's I really liked watching fight in the anime, because just how they moved was cool. But, in shippuden, Lee and Neiji haven't done much, and Sasuke's new style sees him do very little taijutsu. Kakashi hasn't done more than run, either.

I think that's why I REALLY enjoyed the latest Naruto movie. If you're a fan of the series, check it out. It's Naruto, Sakura, and Rock Lee with Neiji as their captain. Easily the best of the movies in my eyes.

I don't really watch much anime at all, though I have a friend that is obsessed to say the least! I did try sinking my teeth into D-Grey Man but didn't stick it for more than a few episodes. I also occasionally watch Cowboy Bebop, which I find pretty entertaining. Any recommendations on some anime that might keep me coming back??