Fan Clubs | beta

Can a game really be "scary"

Guest Al Stevens

Guest Al Stevens

First off if this has been talked about before then i am sorry and this could be closed. Anyway as of late i have been watching a lot of movies and features and while watching the making of Silent Hill the film Christop Gains says something made me think.

Can games actually be scary and if so what would make the game scary and is there any games which has had the members of TWO basically freaked out/Scaried to play any more ect.

I mean the only games i have been pretty freaked out by are the Project Zero (or Fatal Frame series) some of the silent Hill games are pretty damn dark in story matter and I would include the final chase with Piggiesy on Manhunt 1 to be scary (basically think interactive version of the chase in the oringal Texas Chainsaw)

However what games does TWO think is "scary" and could games be equally as scary as films?

After watching my 6 foot 3 ex boyfriend falling off his chair in fright when I walked in and said 'boo' to him during a game (Doom 3 if I remember right...) then i'd say yes, they can be scary!

Guest Reno
After watching my 6 foot 3 ex boyfriend falling off his chair in fright when I walked in and said 'boo' to him during a game (Doom 3 if I remember right...) then i'd say yes, they can be scary!

What does height have to do with anything? :lol He must've been easily scared, as I didn't find DOOM 3 scary one bit, and I was playign in the dark with teh surrond sound on. :lol

I don't find games scary, to be honest, though the remake of Resident Evil was pretty freaky.

Silent Hill when it first came out was terrifying if you let yourself into the game.

I thought Resident Evil 1 & 2 had a very eerie feel to them, not so much scary.

Guest Jayfunk
Silent Hill when it first came out was terrifying if you let yourself into the game.

amen the locker bit scary the sh*t out of me

Guest Kanenite

I don't really find games scary, however I was terrified playing Silent Hill once, it was about 1 in the morning and I was 12, serious scary stuff.

The only thing that makes me jump usually is if you don't realise where someone is and they're right behind you or something.

What does height have to do with anything? :lol He must've been easily scared, as I didn't find DOOM 3 scary one bit, and I was playign in the dark with teh surrond sound on. :lol

I don't find games scary, to be honest, though the remake of Resident Evil was pretty freaky.

The height thing was to give you an ideaw of the fact he's not a little dude. And he had it on surround sound too! He's not usually easily scared but it was about 2am and he didn't know I was downstairs. Not that i'm justifying it-I told him then and I wil lalways tell him that he was a big girl that night.

Guest The Beltster

I dont think so much scarey as jumpy. I jumped during various bits of the Res Evil games, and BioShock was kind of eerie hearing the muppets talking off in the distance.

Actually, F.E.A.R sh*t me up, for whatever reason.

Guest Al Stevens

Bet you didnt do what my mate Steff did before. Over at her student pad one night and her mate Kyle was playing Condemned in the dark snuck in. sneeked up on Kyle. Waited for someone to attack, looked at me. Waited again and when it was all quite gripped his shoulders.... HARD.

I have never heard Kyle let out the loudest and girliest scream EVER! basically she toyed with him like a Cat would with a mouse

Guest Taki

Yeah they can be damn scary, played Silent Hill completely in the dark as my bedroom faced the back of the house and there were no lights out there just pitch black had a cat at the time who slept in my room (before I found out I was allergic) at about 3am after about 5 minutes in the game of pure silence my cat walked right up to my side and let out one hell of a meow in my right ear never been so scared in my life I was wearing a heart rate monitor at the time, and when I had it analysed at the end of the week the doctors said I was on the verge of stopping my heart it beat that hard. So games themselves have a lot of tension and hair standing up on the back of your neck moments and if unexpected can easily scare the **** out of you or like me a moment in time happens to coincide with a nervy moment and makes it the worst moment. What made it worse was while I was calming myself down Conehead came round the corner and killed me.

xXx

Guest The Man Beast
I found the new silent hill on the psp quite scary! Was playing with headphones in at 12 in the dark :P

Origins? I thought it was too easy to be scary. I mean I mentioned it in the Silent Hill 5 thread but the whole point of Silent Hill was to be a random dude with no idea how to fight.

In Origins you're just..well I can't remember the bland piece of shits name but it might aswell have been Johnny Testosterone Tits.

Guest Twig

I thought Resident Evil 1 & 2 had a very eerie feel to them, not so much scary.

There's usually a few shocking moments in those games. I remember my brother was playing Resident Evil 2 or 3... the one where you're in the police station for a long time. And when he ran past this car he'd run past at least four times before and a zombie threw the cardoor off it's hinges he had to pause the game and regroup, he was so freaked out.

Guest Al Stevens
There's usually a few shocking moments in those games. I remember my brother was playing Resident Evil 2 or 3... the one where you're in the police station for a long time. And when he ran past this car he'd run past at least four times before and a zombie threw the cardoor off it's hinges he had to pause the game and regroup, he was so freaked out.

That would be number 2 Twigg :xyx

Nemesis always uppon made me jump and forced the pause button to be hit when he jumped through the Police station window sporting a rocket launcher

Guest Evil Monkey

Silent Hill and FEAR both scared the cr@p out of me the first time I played them! Silent Hill especially. Its the same with films - I think for the game to be scary, it helps if there is some form of evil child spirit. Not sure why, but that simply creeps me out!

My sister thought Resident Evil 1 was scary - but that might have something to do with the fact that she wanted me to guide her through it - so right at the beginning when you go down the hall where the dogs smash through the windows, I simply told her to run down the corridor and she would be fine. She jumped so much that the controller hit the tv and smashed to pieces. She never played it again, and didnt speak to nme for about a week!

Guest ScottyB

My sister thought Resident Evil 1 was scary - but that might have something to do with the fact that she wanted me to guide her through it - so right at the beginning when you go down the hall where the dogs smash through the windows, I simply told her to run down the corridor and she would be fine. She jumped so much that the controller hit the tv and smashed to pieces. She never played it again, and didnt speak to nme for about a week!

That happened to me, minus the control hitting TV thing, I absolutely S*** myself. Admittedly I was 7 or 8 and this was my cousins test to see if the game was suitable for me to play, turns out it wasn't.

Ah yes, but did someone creep up behind you and shout boo? ;)