Fan Clubs | beta

Empire - The 500 Greatest Movies of All Time

DC

Guest Jaycey Baby
Saw and Halloween should be higher in the list, and Dark Knight before Taxi Driver!?! Hmm...

I think people just get too un-necessarily happy to see Batman. BATMAN! Where are you? We need you!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally the Godfather bores me to tears, Empire Strikes Back all the way, but that's me.

I prefer space operas to the gangster films, sopranos bores me, Battlestar excites, so there's my reasoning before anyone would like to impose their reasoning that I must be an imbecile or something.

Guest Jimmy Redman
If you try take on an informed critic without an appreciation of these things, your opinion is not going to be particularly credible.

Again, I'm not arguing with a film critic who says that Film A was well shot and well lighted and everything. I'm arguing with a film critic who says that Film A is one of the greatest movies of all time, which is a very different thing. A film can have all the right angles and all the right sound effects, but if its not enjoyable, its not a great movie. The value of a movie is in someone getting enjoyment out of it, which is totally subjective and therefore totally individual.

Guest The Beltster
Again, I'm not arguing with a film critic who says that Film A was well shot and well lighted and everything. I'm arguing with a film critic who says that Film A is one of the greatest movies of all time, which is a very different thing. A film can have all the right angles and all the right sound effects, but if its not enjoyable, its not a great movie. The value of a movie is in someone getting enjoyment out of it, which is totally subjective and therefore totally individual.
No doubt, my point exactly. A movie critic has ZERO more credentials to tell anybody which is or isnt a better film than any other. Yes, they might have a better eye for lighting, camera work, good casting etc, but they cannot tell somebody that one movie is more enjoyable than the next unless they are specifically saying its only their opinion.

Guest Jaycey Baby
No doubt, my point exactly. A movie critic has ZERO more credentials to tell anybody which is or isnt a better film than any other. Yes, they might have a better eye for lighting, camera work, good casting etc, but they cannot tell somebody that one movie is more enjoyable than the next unless they are specifically saying its only their opinion.

Who is this critic you speak of, who thinks everything he/she writes is irrefutable fact? Someone reviewing a film in Empire doesn't have to say "In my opinion..." before everything they write, it's just assumed, because it's obvious. I don't have a problem with you not liking a film that I like, I just don't like this attitude of 'everyone's opinion except my own is worthless just because we're talking about something subjective', especially if you're taking on people who know a lot more about that something than you do. If I'd not listened to anyone in the know I wouldn't have ever discovered some of my favourite films, and they're not my favourite because someone told me they should be, it's because I saw them myself and I agreed.