Fan Clubs | beta

Empire - The 500 Greatest Movies of All Time

DC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jaycey Baby
You are misreading something that isnt even close to anger for just that. I'm not angry whatsoever.

As for the best, I couldnt tell you. I can tell you some of my favourites, but they likely change from week to week.

These lists are stupid and always will be because you cant unequivically say which is better than which in a factual way like they do.

Sure, you may baulk at some of the inclusions, but it's based on a vote of Empire's readership, it's not just one writer's opinion being passed off as fact. I don't see how you can get more equivocal than that (among Empire readers at least... I find Total Film readers to generally have slightly better taste). I think you're missing the point of these lists - if a film is ranked highly by a lot of people, don't you think that it would be of interest to other film fans?

And even if you don't like gangster films (which is perfectly understandable), can you not even appreciate the amazing acting and direction of the Godfather films (I'm not counting the third, I agree on that being pants)? I think calling it a crock of sh*t and the worst movie ever is going a bit far. Have you seen Revolver?

Sure, you may baulk at some of the inclusions, but it's based on a vote of Empire's readership, it's not just one writer's opinion being passed off as fact. I don't see how you can get more equivocal than that (among Empire readers at least... I find Total Film readers to generally have slightly better taste). I think you're missing the point of these lists - if a film is ranked highly by a lot of people, don't you think that it would be of interest to other film fans?

And even if you don't like gangster films (which is perfectly understandable), can you not even appreciate the amazing acting and direction of the Godfather films (I'm not counting the third, I agree on that being pants)? I think calling it a crock of sh*t and the worst movie ever is going a bit far. Have you seen Revolver?

I don't think Beltmark (not to put words in his mouth) actually thinks it's the worst movie ever; more as a figure of speech (Christ, with Norbitt out there, he has to be kidding).

As for the voting, it wasn't just Empire readers who voted, there was lots of people from inside the movie industry (magazine writers, script-writers, actors, directors, producers, etc), so it does have some merit.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

To quote Peter Griffin when saying why he doesn't like the Godfather Trilogy in Family Guy

"It insist's upon itself"

Oh and the voting was done by 10,000 of the public who voted and a few thousand Directors, Writers, Actors and Critics (as DC said)

Oh and the voting was done by 10,000 of the public who voted and a few thousand Directors, Writers, Actors and Critics (as DC said)

but still it is ultimately down to opinion granted an informed one for about 5% of them. but still as everyones taste differs, some people will disagree.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
but still as everyones taste differs, some people will disagree.
Obviously seeing as the single greates film ever made didn't even make the top 500, the film in question being Tremors of course ;)

Guest The Beltster
What difference does it make if it were every single other person on Earth apart from me? Still wouldnt make me consider it the best movie of all time and therein lies my point: Its not the greatest movie of all time if you dont enjoy it, and I dont, infact I think its utter shite. As I said before, its a personal taste thing. I've no problem with people loving it, but I do have issue with magazines saying "This IS the list and this IS how it is!" because no, its not. If 1 person disagree's, the list is automatically not fact but opinion.

I dont really see how I'm missing the point to be honest, I simply said I thought it was a load of crap and not even close to the best movie ever made, let alone THE best movie ever made. If you like it, cool, I'm not saying you shouldnt or cant consider it your favourite.

I dont really know what we are arguing about here :lol

No, I legitimately cannot appreciate the acting or direction because I hate the movies. Surely if I appreciated them, it would be because I enjoyed them, right? Which I dont.

FOR ME, it is a crock of sh*t and one of the worst movies ever made, its not going too far because thats what I consider it. The acting from Brando was a joke, it was hammy and over the top nonsense, I dont rate it whatsoever.

Never seen Revolver.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Another one I really think should be in there is The Host.
Totally agree with that, seeing some of the none English language films on the list which are greatly inferior to The Host really annoyed me

To quote Peter Griffin when saying why he doesn't like the Godfather Trilogy in Family Guy

"It insist's upon itself"

Rule No. 18973 of life itself is never quote anything from 'Family Guy' because 'Family Guy' sucks a dick.

And of course the list is all opinion, that's kinda the whole point of these survey type lists. I disagree with some of the placings, course I do, everyone is going to but I don't really have any qualms over the No. 1 choice, was glad to see 'Once Upon a Time in the West' placed so highly and was glad to see it wasn't just CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED MASTERPIECES~! making up the list with the likes of 'The Goonies' (still the greatest children's film ever made. Shit, I'm 23 and I still love it and not just in a nostalgic haze kind of a way. It is a BRILLIANTLY well done film) and whatnot included too and there was a wide range of entrants from arthouse cinema to 'School of Rock' in the 500.

Good features in it too particularly the one on 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' and on 'The Searchers.' Always interesting reading about John Wayne being a right wing racist old basta*d at times. I lifted the first one that came to hand in the newsagents without even realising and got the Jailhouse bloody Rock cover though. Oh well.

Edited by Naitch

The Dark Knight, despite being good, wouldn't have been as high if the voting didn't coincide with the fact it was in Cinema's at the time.

100% agree with that Scottyb, i like the film but i front of both sw4 and 2001 is a joke in my eyes

Rule No. 18973A of life itself is never Say family guy sucks a dick. Unless you want 600 irate Family guy fans telling you otherwise

:lol

especially as rule no. 1 is watch family guy it rules

Same with 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' at No. 2 as well in somewhat of a surprising ranking. That new (and might I add disappointing and charmless) Indiana Jones film '... re-whetted appetites for the pre-gopher Indy' and made those films fresher in the minds of the voters and whatnot.

Same with 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' at No. 2 as well in somewhat of a surprising ranking. That new (and might I add disappointing and charmless) Indiana Jones film '... re-whetted appetites for the pre-gopher Indy' and made those films fresher in the minds of the voters and whatnot.

That said Raiders is still good enough to be in the top 5.

Guest Chriscare
You are misreading something that isnt even close to anger for just that. I'm not angry whatsoever.

As for the best, I couldnt tell you. I can tell you some of my favourites, but they likely change from week to week.

These lists are stupid and always will be because you cant unequivically say which is better than which in a factual way like they do.

Why are they stupid? You don't have to agree with them, it's like someone saying "Dark Knight was really good, you should see it". It's just a large list of 500 recommendations, there's definatley something in their for everyone and it's also a nice way of finding out how your tastes relate to experts and such.

Guest The Beltster
Why are they stupid? You don't have to agree with them, it's like someone saying "Dark Knight was really good, you should see it". It's just a large list of 500 recommendations, there's definatley something in their for everyone and it's also a nice way of finding out how your tastes relate to experts and such.
"Experts"...please. What makes somebody an expert on a friggin film?! Do they see something the rest of us dont? Its personal taste, again. You cant be an expert on whats good and what isnt when it comes to movies.

And I consider them stupid because they put things in an order so matter-of-factly, like if you disagree you are wrong because "EMPIRE SAID SO DAMNIT!!!"

F*ck that, Goonies at number 1!