Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

Books

Guest bigmatt

I just finished Jitterbug Perfume. It's about Immortality, perfume, and beets. I really loved it too. Smartly written, insightful, funny, a strong realistic dynamic between a wide variety of character... oh, and Pan, the mirthful god was in it too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was to recommend any books to you, it would be 'The Dice Man' and 'Search for The Dice Man'. Both of them are fantastic and really make you think at the same time.

Yeah the Diceman books are great reads. Not easy reads by any stretch of the imagination, but really worth it all the same.

I'm a big crime fiction fan - Jeffrey Deaver, Kathy Reichs, Tess Gerritsen, Lisa Gardner for example. Also really like David Baldacci and Richard Montonari's stuff.

Massive James Ellroy fan though, he's my favourite author. I've got all but two of his books and one of them is out of print! I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee which is one of my all time favourite books. I'll never get tired of reading it.

Popsi have you tried Michael Connelly really into his books. My last wrestling one was Bischoffs hated it and the least said about Foleys third book the better, complete letdown.

Popsi have you tried Michael Connelly really into his books. My last wrestling one was Bischoffs hated it and the least said about Foleys third book the better, complete letdown.

Yeah I think I've read virtually all of his books! To be fair there aren't many crime fiction writers I don't like reading. Probably the only one I'm not a fan of any more is Patricia Cornwell. Her old stuff was gold, but she's changed her writing stule and it's terrible now.

Guest Jaycey Baby

I'm ploughing through Oscar Wilde's only novel, The Picture Of Dorian Gray, at the moment. I believe there's a film of it due out next year, which should be interesting.

I read as many classics as I can, they can be a bit of a slog due to language and references that aren't familiar to us these days, but if you persevere some of them can give you a new take on and a deeper understanding of literature. My favourite is Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

I'm ploughing through Oscar Wilde's only novel, The Picture Of Dorian Gray, at the moment. I believe there's a film of it due out next year, which should be interesting.
There's been a few films about the man with the painting already, but there is a new one planned for next year.

Guest bigmatt
I bought Alec Guinness' 3 books from Amazon the other day,Blessings in Disguise,My Name Escapes Me:The Diary of a Retiring Actor and A Positively Final Appearance.Should be good when I get around to reading them.I really want to read Henry Fonda's as well.

Guest joe boy
Just finished reading Ring of Hell.Did'nt quite know what to make of it,parts of the book where incitfull and interesting but their where many-a-times i could'nt help but think i was reading a gossip coloum in a tabloid newspaper ie "a source said this or a insider saw that" Its hard to know what beleve in this book im glad i read it but i won't re-reading it in the near by future i can assure you of that.

Guest Jaycey Baby
There's been a few films about the man with the painting already, but there is a new one planned for next year.

Oh, have you seen any of them? Worth checking out?

Oh, have you seen any of them? Worth checking out?
There were movie versions of it released in 1913, 1915, 1916, 1945, 1973 (TV movie), 2004 and 2006, not to mention a few foreign-language versions as well.

Of the ones I've seen, I'd recommend the 1945 version and the 2004 version. The 2006 version is a contemporary update that frankly sucks.

Oh, and Stuart Townsend plays a great version in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I have read all the Rebus books bar the last one, only because I can't bring myself to say goodbye to the old copper :(

I also have read all the Terry Pratchett Discworld books, which I absolutely adore! Reaper Man is perhaps my fave, but you can't go wrong with a Watch book.

Also read all the Stephen King books; Cell is his best in a LONG time, but still nowhere near the full length version of The Stand.

Good toilet reading? Kevin Smith's Boring Ass Life and any of the Stephen King short story collections.

Also read all the Stephen King books; Cell is his best in a LONG time, but still nowhere near the full length version of The Stand.

I got TONS of Stephen King books from my dad, I love King's work, but I've not even touched most of the books yet. I'm hoping of working my way through the Dark Tower series once I've finished Rebel Without A Crew.

Anyone interested in directing and filmmaking... or heck, even just film should check out Rebel Without A Crew.

Guest Jayfunk

Dune is utter classic as is The moon is a harsh mistress,the rama series is top notch also.

I am a huge fan of claasic sci-fi and am trying to read the master works. i have read thus far

1 The Forever War: Joe Haldeman answer to starship troopers but Joe was actually a real solider classic a great read

2 I Am Legend: The best vampire book ever IMHO (don't watch the film if you like this book it sucks)

4 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?: ditto , the film was 10 times better than i am legend but damn the book was good

Guest Rebekah
I have read all the Rebus books bar the last one, only because I can't bring myself to say goodbye to the old copper :(

I recently read this, its not easy :(

I like Inno am a huge fan of the Discworld Series and out of them all Soul Music is probably my favourite although I do also have a soft spot for Hogfather and Small Gods.

Aside from them I usually read Iain Banks, The Crow Road and The Wasp Factory being his main highlights but The Bridge is also a quality read. His Sci-Fi is also to be recommended, for me his best is Against a Darker Background which is a big read but one I recommend.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I've just seen Meat Loaf's autobiography 'To Hell and Back' on eBay which I would love to read Edited by Nemesis Enforcer

I have a similer problem with my David Gemmell books, I just cant make myself buy the only one I havent read because after that I know there are no more for me. :(

I like Inno am a huge fan of the Discworld Series and out of them all Soul Music is probably my favourite although I do also have a soft spot for Hogfather and Small Gods.

Ach, give me The Watch series. Love them. :D

TWP, comparing Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Bladerunner is pretty much pointless. I know the film is based on the book but the differences are so astounding that it may as well be different source material (but Philip K Dicks stories always have that problem as films, hell look at 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' and compare it to Total Recall :lol).

Guest Evil Monkey
The Bourne Legacy - written by Eric Van Lustbader, compared to the original three that were written by Robert Ludlum. It was kind of tough to get into at first - Lustbader has a unique writing style - but once I got into it, it was very enjoyable. Got the final two Bourne books waiting to be read too.....