Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

Books

Guest bigmatt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished The Firm by John Grisham, one of my favourite books and films. Now starting The Runaway Jury. Having a Grisham weekend even though have read every book he has written.

Just Finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, I've been meaning to read his stuff for years. I was gonna read Slaughterhouse 5 but my girlfriend reccomended this one first.

I'm currently reading a couple of David Baldacci's books. Good as always.

I've also got waiting for me the Suspicions of Mr Whicher which sounds good.

I read Stephen King's Cell while in hospital, shame the story started to go down hill after the meet with the sprinters, otherwise it would've been really good.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bigmatt
I ordered Charlie Brooker's Screen Burn and Dawn of the Dumb last week and America (The Book) A citizens guide to democracy inaction by Jon Stewart and The Daily Show team. All of which arrived this morning, so I will start reading one of them later.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading a lot of Sci Fi recently, and ... oh sod it, lets do it script form.

AW = annoying wanker whos not me

DS = annoying wanker who is me

A = almost milf

To set the scene its 7.01am on a monday morning in the Doncaster interchange, the three of us are stood waiting for a bus to work (my now ex work :P)

AM: whats that?

DS: A book, we got to read them in school.

AW: Its Warhammer 40,000. Not exactly the sort of stuff they taught us.

DS: What did you read at school?

AW: With Mice and Men (sic), 1984 and Catcher in the Rye.

DS: And what makes this different from 1984?

AW: Its a classic.

DS: Why? Because its known? Thats like saying xXx is a better film than Its a Wonderful life just because more people know about it. The difference is you being an elititst cock because you cant see outside of your 'Oh look at me, I got A levels' shit. Suck it up and fuck off.

I should have been a bit more mature. And my rant was far longer, but Im not very wordy. :(

Edited by Paul

Your rant only smacks of bitterness. Sorry, but throwing around BS about people having A-Levels is just ridiculous.

I don't even find the time to read anymore, and that makes me sad.

So at the moment I'm reading John Stewart Mill's Utilitarianism and John Locke's Second Treatise of Government...

My big problem is that the Locke copy I've got has a variois editor's notes; and one says "X" while my lecturer never mentioned "X" and rather put incredible emphasis on "Y"...

Guest bigmatt

I finished Screen Burn by Charlie Brooker last week and thought it was excellent. I really enjoyed it and having only just started reading and watching his stuff recently underestimated how funny he was as well. It had some really great lines and wit.

I'm already about 2/3 through Dawn of the Dumb as well which is even better so far. Helped by the articles of non TV stuff which give him more material and make him even funnier. Top notch stuff.

Also reading a few history books as well on and off as well to improve my General knowledge. But are finding them a bit hard going.

See I quite enjoy it - but I first had a VERY good lecturer and second I'm quite a wordy writer myself.

Mill is very much "why bother with 5 words when 30 will do the job just as well".

Just trying to juggle both with my exam only a fortnight away is leading me to learn very little from either :P

Your rant only smacks of bitterness. Sorry, but throwing around BS about people having A-Levels is just ridiculous.

He is one of those 'I have more A levels than you' people, he often uses his 6 A levels as proof of him knowing more. It wouldnt be bad if they had owt to do with the subject in hand. :lol

No bitterness at all, just I get annoyed by people who think that only certain books can have artistic merit. You know?

I'm just about to start The Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. Howard, after that I'll read through Stephen King's Dark Tower series.