Fan Clubs | beta

Karate Kid remake?

Kam

1) My mistake, Mr. Analaboutcertainartythings. I was going along with her theory for not liking slasher films and transposed it to this one.

2) She implied they were bad, so I went the other way.

Sorry I just saw this. I don't know what makes you lump slasher films and The Karate Kid into the same category. I made my position quite clear on the slasher film sequels and it's completely different. I loved the first few movies in each series, but as I stated I got bored with them after the shock wore off. As for The Karate Kid, I saw the first one and wasn't impressed. So if I didn't like it why on god's earth would I watch another one. It's a totally different reason.

I sincerely don't know DC why your following me around the forum questioning my movie tastes. It's kind of weird in a way.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Digital Spy:

'Karate Kid' beats 'A-Team' at US box office

Sunday, June 13 2010, 19:50 BST

By Marcell Minaya, Entertainment Reporter

The Karate Kid has debuted at the top of the US box office over the weekend.

The action drama, starring Jaden Smith, grossed $56 million, beating fellow '80s remake The A-Team at number two with $26 million.

Shrek Forever After slips to third place with $15.8 million, followed by the comedy Get Him To The Greek and Killers, while sequels Sex And The City 2 and Iron Man 2 claim numbers eight and nine respectively.

Finally, the sci-fi horror Splice claims the tenth spot with $2.8 million.

The US box office top ten in full:

1. (-) The Karate Kid - $56,000,000

2. (-) The A-Team - $26,000,000

3. (1) Shrek Forever After - $15,800,000

4. (2) Get Him To The Greek - $10,100,000

5. (3) Killers - $8,170,000

6. (4) Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time - $6,600,000

7. (6) Marmaduke - $6,000,000

8. (5) Sex And The City 2 - $5,525,000

9. (7) Iron Man 2 - $4,550,000

10. (8) Splice - $2,860,000

That's much better than I expected for The Karate Kid...even more so to see it double the new A Team movie!

Guest Anime Otaku
Is it just me or is a bit sad that out of that top ten only 4 are original rather than a sequel, an adaptation, or in one case both.?

Is it just me or is a bit sad that out of that top ten only 4 are original rather than a sequel, an adaptation, or in one case both.?
Why are you dissing adaptations when one of your favourite movies (Battle Royale) is one?

Guest Anime Otaku
I was addressing the A-Team and Sex In The City TV adaptations. Though Iron Man 2 is another twofer that I missed but I want to see. Mostly it was a comment on the lack of original content in movies these days, though like remakes not all adaptations are bad. A number of the Anime movies and TV series I like also started off as either manga or light novels. Edited by Anime Otaku

Guest John Hancock

Four out of ten? I only count two out of ten as being originals (not that I mind. There's nothing wrong with a good adaptation, sequel or remake)

Karate Kid - Remake

The A-Team - Adaptation of a TV show

Shrek Forever After - Sequel

Get Him To The Greek - Sequel

Killers - Original

Prince of Persia - Adaptation of a video game

Marmaduke - Adaptation of a comic strip

Sex and the City 2 - Sequel

Iron Man 2 - Sequel

Splice - Original

But, as I said, what's wrong with that? Do I really need to list all the amazing sequels, adaptations, or both-s. Lest we forget, Godfather II, a film often sighted as potentially the best of all time, was both a sequel, and book adaptation.

Guest Anime Otaku
I didn't recognise Marmaduke or Get Him To The Greek, those are the two I missed. Like I said there's nothing wrong with a good sequel, as you said a good one can surpass the original or if it's an adaptation or remake it can surpass the original work in popularity and even confuse people into thinking the source is the adaptation, but on the other hand, did the world really need a Sex In The City movie, never mind two?

Guest John Hancock

Yeah, Marmaduke is a cartoon strip in America, and Get Him To The Greek is the sequel to Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Does the world need any films? People liked the Sex and the City movie. You didn't, I didn't, but we aren't young to middle aged women, so we weren't supposed to. It's the equivalent to a film directed at children; it has it's target audience, and it pleased them, so as perfectly as valid as any of the Japanese things you like that I, and probably someone who likes Sex and the City would consider nonsense. It's not a bad film, it was just wasn't made with the intention of making us like it.