Fan Clubs | beta

Ghostbusters: The Video Game Build Up & Discussion Thread

Fletch

Potentially the greatest game ever to be ever made, and certainly, as Dan Akroyd himself, this is as close to a 3rd film we would have got. Of course, we all now know, or if you didn't you now will, but the script is being written for Ghostbusters 3 to be a proper real life film, and yes, they have scrapped the Ghostbusters In Hell story arc sadly. This is where the Video Game jumps in.

Set in 1991, 2 years after the destroying of Vigo the Carpathian in the museum and saving the day once again, a Gozer exhibit begins to appear (You may remember Gozer and Zool from GB1), and people become obsessed with Gozer. This can only be a bad thing, as the Ghostbusters become increasings more and more busy.

I won't spoil the entire plot, but that storyline up there that they scrapped for the next film, yeah that's the one... that's this :P

Levels will include classic movies scenes such as the New York Public Library and the Sedgwick Hotel in which we first met Slimer back in 1984, and yeah, this is where you'll be reaquainted with our green slimy buddy, in film form mind, not Real Ghostbusters form.

You'll be able to tour the firehouse in which the GB's live and do business from, and will include lots of neat little bonus' and features apparently. Hell it's even got a multiplayer mode or 3 for us all to enjoy.

I don't see how it can possibly fail. So to see just what we're missing, here's the official HD Atari trailer for the game, which looks, well... amazing!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMmonygrDFs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMmonygrDFs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Da Showstoppa

Bustin makes me feel good! :lol

Seriously I've been waiting my whole life to be able to blast things with the particle throwers!!

I played the 8-bit versions on an Atari Vic20, but couldn't get past the section where you have to get your wee guys through the Staypuft Marshmallow Man's legs.

I also had the Ghosbusters II game which was a lot easier.

I'll be playing the Ghostbusters 2 game on the Mega Drive later today waiting for my Fridge Freezer to turn up.

Ghostbusters the Video Game was featured on PlayrTV on Bravo recently, dunno if anyone caught it. The clip is on Youtube if you have a search, or on my favourites at youtube.com/fletchercohol.

Looks amazing

EDIT: Just clicked the IGN.com tab I had open and BAM, all new Ghostbusters Preview and Video Blowout! Check it folks!

Guest Da Showstoppa
Never had a sinclair spectrum or commodore 64 then huh?

I had a C64, but it'd load the tape for 5 minutes then crash.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jericholic007
I'm a Ghostbusters freak, and this, along with the Aliens: Colonial Marines is fighting it out for my most anticipated purchase on my PS3. I'm hoping the gameplay matches the look of the trailer!

I loved the 8bit Ghostbusters game!

This guy did'nt

Warning contains lots of naughty language

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

360 owners may have to wait a little longer

SCEE is set to publish Ghostbusters game on June 19 on PS2 and PS3 in Europe; PSP edition to arrive in the autumn, other versions coming from Atari "later"; gaming shipping on all platforms in US on June 16.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game has been on an interesting ride in its bid to make it onto gaming screens. Initially in development by Sierra Entertainment, the title was then dropped in the great Activision-Blizzard culling of 2008, after Sierra's parent company, Vivendi games, was subsumed into the publishing behemoth now known as Activision-Blizzard.

The future of the game hung in the balance until Atari confirmed that it would be publishing the title, later announcing a June release date.

Now the title has once again changed hands. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe will be publishing the Terminal Reality-developed game in the EU on June 19. The launch will be done in cooperation with Atari to coincide with the release of the Blu-ray versions of the original movies. Initially the game will be available only on the PS2 and PS3, with a PSP version arriving later in the fall. The latter version had been widely believe to be cancelled.

[uPDATE] To the relief of Canadian and US Wii, Xbox 360, and DS owners, Sony Computer Entertainment America reps told GameSpot that today's announcement has no bearing on the game's launch on June 16 across the Atlantic. "SCEA does not have plans to publish Ghostbusters in North America," said the rep.

Ghostbusters puts the player in the role of a trainee Ghostbuster, who, along with the original characters Spengler, Stantz, and Venkman, is tasked with cleaning up a ghost-ridden Manhattan. The game will feature an all-new story, penned by the original writers and stars Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, who will also appear in the game. In addition, Bill Murray will reprise his role as Venkman.

When contacted by GameSpot, Atari confirmed that the Wii, Xbox 360, and DS versions would be coming "later in the year" but did not offer further details.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE] Edited by BRM

My copy's been pre-ordered now, I don't usually pay full whack for games when they are released, choosing to wait a while before they drop to a more reasonable price, but in this case, I'll make an exception.