Fan Clubs | beta

Films that should have had a lot more praise/done better than they did

Guest Saz

Have you ever watched a movie and wondered, why the hell was no one raving on about this? Was it straight to DVD? Just not big enough to cause a stir? Didn't have the big named actors in it?

I've had an idea, 1 person nominates a film and we discuss its merits (obviously if we've seen it) and once the majority agrees it was a film that deserved a lot more than it got.

We'll do this till the end of July where I will then create a poll from the films list here. We can then vote on them, whittling them down to a top 10 or so list of the most unappreciated films that were actually good.

I am then going to pitch the idea for cracked.com making it a bit jokey :)

I'll list them here:

Click

Chasing Amy

Falling down

Apocalypto

Deuce Bigelow Male Gigalow

Seven pounds

Driven

The devils rejects

Road to Perdition

Moonraker

Testuo: The Iron man

Ghostrider

Equilibrium

Blair Witch Project

Animal Olympics

I'd like to put Apocalypto into the fray, as there has been a discussion about it in the last film you watched thread and it's the inspiration for this.

Edited by Saz

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.........I have heaps:

The Story of Ricky aka Riki Oh

Master of the Flying Guillotine

Mr Beans Holiday :lol

Freddy Got Fingered

The Myth

Click

Deuce Bigelow Male Gigalow

Deuce Bigelow European Gigalow

Kiss of the Dragon

Fighting Ace

Fists of Justice (aka Bolo)

Chinese Tiger

Two Champions of Shaolin

James Bond Moonraker

Tetsuo: the Iron Man

There's a random list to get started with. :)

Edited by Saz

In the Mouth of Madness

Cut (an Australian horror film)

Slither

Falling Down

I'd comment on Apocalypto, but I never got around to watching it.

Edited by Saz

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

My Name Is Bruce

How this doesn't get raved about more by people is beyond me, not only is it about the greatest actor of our (or any other) generation, Bruce Campbell, buts its an awesomely funny film to boot!

Edited by Saz

I'm going to take falling down, as long as it's the film with Michael Douglas in it, which was an absolutely heart wrenchingly good story about a man who loses it against society.

Is that the one you are on about.

I have slither on DVD and I thought it was pants though! :)

7 Pounds.

Now I like Will Smith, but this blew everything else he has ever done out of the water. Fantastic in every aspect, the writing, the music, the direction, the acting, all perfect.

Even now, 10 minutes after its finished I'm struggling to hold back the tears.

Edited by Saz

I'm going to take falling down, as long as it's the film with Michael Douglas in it, which was an absolutely heart wrenchingly good story about a man who loses it against society.

Is that the one you are on about.

Yeah, that's the one. It's a stunning movie with great acting from both Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall.

"I'm the bad guy?" sums it all up in one succinct question.

Chasing Amy.

Kevin Smith films get a bad rap for being just dick and fart jokes, and yes, this does have a potty mouth. But it's also an awesome story of (can't believe I'm gonna sound so soppy here) love between two people, with sexualtiy and gender being blurred. Also contains an AWESOME monologue from so-called Silent Bob that is up there with some of the greatest movie scenes I've ever seen.

Plus anyone remotely into comics can't help but giggle at the "You're a tracer" in-joke.

As much as I love Clerks and Clerks II, Chasing Amy is the Askewniverse movie that really should have put Kevin Smith into the stratosphere. It's a shame it got overlooked, purely because of content and language in my humble opinion.

Edited by Saz

Guest John Hancock

Blair Witch Project.

I know it did really well in the box office, but EVERYONE slags it off now. Why? I still think it's really good. Way scarier that a load of over weight extras running around in stupid axe murderer costumes or whatever. The first time you see it, no film is more uncomfortably creepy, and it never resorts to "cheap heat", like random things jumping out in your face, or loads of blood, which are just the cheapest tricks in the book. This film should have won Oscars just for defying those two things, which are both just far, far too easy and far, far over used. And people say how nothing happens in the end, but, something does happen

everyone gets killed, on screen, by the Blair Witch, in one of the creepiest set ups ever, with the man made to stand in the corner, like the kids were.

Edited by Saz

Ok, before we add any more nominations let's discuss some of the films nominated.

Apocalypto - For: BRM, SHL, Scotty B, J-Rock, Saz, Against: JayFunk

Falling Down - For: DC, Saz, Inno Against: No one yet.

My name is Bruce - For: Nem, DC, J-Rock, Against: No one yet.

Godfather 3 - For: BPH, Against: DC, J-Rock, Saz

7-pounds - For: Darkie, Against: No one yet.

Chasing Amy - For: Inno, DC, Dusty F, Against: No one yet.

Blair Witch Project - For: J-Rock, DC Against: Inno

Freddy got fingered - For SHL, Against: No one yet

Please make your opinions of the above films known and I'll open it up to more suggestions.

SHL, please pick one to put forward, not a random list of ideas, we're talking the film you really think was underrated and I'll add it.

Edited by Saz

Guest Dusty Finish

I'll second Chasing Amy, for sure, Kevin Smith uber fan that I am. Although I do think that the ending dragged it down a bit- the whole "the three of us have to have sex together" thing was something of an anti-climax.

The whole Hooper X "Darth Vader" monologue (especially the aftermath) is just phenomenal. Ben Affleck's in-car declaration of love for Joey Lauren Adams in the pouring rain is a 180 degree turn from this, yet equally as well scripted. As is Alyssa's whole "I got here on my own terms" reflection.

In fact, Inno, have you got a copy of the screenplay? I find myself reading it semi-regularly, and it really stands up on its own (makes me lament some of the scenes that never made the final cut, in fact).

I've read the missing scenes in comic form somewhere in the past ;)

Apocalypto - Undecided, never seen

Falling Down - For:LOVE IT!

My name is Bruce - Undecided, never seen (hurry up Lovefilm!)

Godfather 3 - Undecided, never seen

7-pounds - Undecided, never seen

Blair Witch Project - Against

Guest John Hancock

Apocalypto - For

Falling Down - Abstain

My Name Is Bruce - For

Godfather 3 - Against

Seven Pounds - Abstain

Chasing Amy - Abstain

Blair Witch Project - For

SHL, please pick one to put forward, not a random list of ideas, we're talking the film you really think was underrated and I'll add it.

Oh right. Since I don't think many will have seen a lot of my list, I will put forward Freddy Got Fingered. A lot of critics and people born on planet earth despise this film, yet I found it to be one of the most hilarious films I've ever seen. To this day, its the only film to keep me laughing throughout its entire running time.

Oh, and:

Apocalypto: For

Falling Down: Never seen it

My Name is Bruce: Never seen it

Godfather 3: Never seen it

Seven Pounds: Never seen it

Chasing Amy: Never seen it

Blair Witch Project: Never seen it

Choose something I've seen! :lol

Freddy Got Fingered. A lot of critics and people born on planet earth despise this film,
Yeah, but on Rygol VI and Citreon VX, the movie is considered their bible and is used in religious teachings.