Fan Clubs | beta

Moments in games which were just TOO scary...

Guest Ruderz

Guest Ruderz

Well, I decided to do this thread as I was reading about some of it on the Resident Evil thread.

Basically, what moments in games have you found scariest and have actually made you stop playing for a while?

One of them for me was when I was playing Alone in the Dark on the PS1, and I was outside with no bullets remaining and nothing but a torchlight (Which didn't let you see very far) and a flash of lightning happened and a face/monster thing appeared right behind my guy before killing him. I almost had a heart attack!

Another one was when I was playing the first FEAR and I went to climb down this ladder, and you know the animation it shows you turning around to face away from the ladder and you reach down and climb down, well the bit where the girl appeared just infront of you when you look up again was scary as sh*t for me.

Guest John Hancock

The Clown Boss in Dead Rising who's gone mad, and died by sawing himself in half with mini-chainsaws, laughing hysterically as he does so.

Pyramid Head raping the nurse demons, killing them, raping their corpses, then attempting to rape you in Silent Hill 2.

The child molestation stuff in Rule Of Rose.

The "are they, or aren't they alive, and can they feel pain?" Manniquins in Silent Hill 3

The beginning of Doom 3.

The last level of Thief.

The beginning of Bioshock, when you're just walking around, with nothing happening, and "Somewhere Beyond The Sea" is playing.

When Agent 47 watches someone being tied up, covered in petrol and burnt to death, really close up, with just no emotion, in, I think, Hitman: Contracts.

The electric chair seen in Silent Hill 4

The Silent Hill 4 nightmare sequences.

Hell, just ALL of Silent Hill 4 messed me up for life.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpxzgZlOCE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpxzgZlOCE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I love, love, love scary games. They just don't make them any more. Give me something creepy and uneasy, that makes you genuinely scared to turn the next corner over "8 year old female ghost" number 89,000,000 jumping out at you, in the dark, at random moments any day.

Edited by John Hancock

Playing the first Manhunt game and the second-last level with Pigsy was intense and the first time he ambushed me made me jump.

I will say this though, nothing has ever made me jump as much as the dogs coming through the window when playing Resident Evil the first time.

Another one that I remember was from Fear Effect. There's a section where you enter an opening in a cave and it's decorated like a young child's bedroom. All the toys are on, but the music they play has been slowed down enough to make it creepy (like the batteries are going) and the the lighting is from a funny angle. It creeped me out for ages when playing it.

Ghosthunter also had some scary moments; things appearing out of nowhere and the little girls carrying teddies who suddenly turn into rampaging monster teddy-bears carrying the little girl (now dead).

Edited by DC

Guest Ruderz

The jumping dogs scared the sh*t out of me.

In Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, when the first dog appears (Breaking through a steel fence behind you) I froze so bad I died :lol

Resident Evil has basically shit me up more than most games.

I remember playing the remake for the gamecube when i was 16, the rating was a 15 and I swear I never got to the first boss (the elder crimson head in the remake) because it freaked me out that much.

The first one I remember was the dogs jumping through the windows, that f*cked me so bad I think I got killed pretty much immediately.

The second was when I went into a room that was basically a balcony overlooking a staircase that went down to another level. because of the camera angles the camera changed to the bottom of the stairs looking up, and suddenly there was a zombie ambling up the stairs towards me. I shat myself at that point too!

there were loads of other moments too, I honestly can't play that game!

I recently bought Doom 3, but if the intro is that bad I may not even start it :lol

One of the great things about Resident Evil with regards to the fixed-cameras was after the Hunters were released and you walked into a room, couldn't see anything, but could hear them walking somewhere out of sight.

Guest John Hancock

I recently bought Doom 3, but if the intro is that bad I may not even start it :lol

Doom 3's like Bioshock in that, once the action starts, it's not scary anymore, but, when you first start the game, and you're WAITING for something to happen, you're just really, really on edge.

I'd like to add some two I'd over looked.

- The introduction to the Flood in the original Halo.

- Not scary, but I found it really creepy; GLaDOS in Portal. Ever since I accidently watched the end of Space Odyssey when I was a little kid, uncaring, mono-tone voices that don't fully understand humanity just totally freak me the balls out.

Guest John Hancock
The Flood is the first time in a game where I just though, "Oh, there's no way in hell I'm getting out of this alive", without me personally having something wrong, or the game being too hard, the atmosphere of NO ONE escapes the Flood was just so well put across.

One of the great things about Resident Evil with regards to the fixed-cameras was after the Hunters were released and you walked into a room, couldn't see anything, but could hear them walking somewhere out of sight.

yeah the fixed camera perspective was one of the best things about the game, it's just a shame i never saw the hunters. I realy wish i could go back and play it, but i don't have it anymore

Doom 3's like Bioshock in that, once the action starts, it's not scary anymore, but, when you first start the game, and you're WAITING for something to happen, you're just really, really on edge.

fair enough, in that case I'll probably have a bash tomorrow.

another game that has its moments is a game called Jericho. It's written by Clive Barker and I've got it for the XBox, and it's funking awesome, but it's full of dark corridors and shat-your-pants moments. you start off with a massive team of about 8 people, and gradually your team is reduced to about 3, and it gets more freaky the further you go. Really good game.

Guest John Hancock

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

I missed out Giygas!

Everyone who knows what Giygas is just went, "Oh shhhhhhh*t.". or cried, or just plain old stopped living.

Right, basically, this is a character from Earthbound a nice, fun, cute little RPG for children, and then, as the final boss you have to fight the actual concept of fear itself. Apparently, the game designer, IN A GAME FOR CHILDREN, decided to base a boss on the emotions he felt when, as a child, he accidently witnessed a rape happening. It also has a voice that's designed to be as close to subliminal message as consciously possible, whilst it's actual body is based on warped image of life and death. See if you can spot the rotting skull, the ultra sound of a baby, and a brain scan in the absolute mind-f*cking HORROR that is Giygas.

This... THING is famous around the internet for just being the single creepiest thing anyone has ever managed to think up.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Games never really scared me or made me jump, though I do find the Max Payne nightmare sequences to be very creepy, what with the screaming wife and the crying baby... Damn.

Guest Fiona
This might be tame for some but Bottom of the Well in Zelda Ocarina of Time nearly did me in the first time through it. I'm still the only one in the house that does it.

Guest Anime Otaku

Condemned has a few scary bits, but it's more just cheap jumps than anything actually creepy. Well as far as I got with it anyway. Totally agree about GlaDOS though. Manhunt was pretty good tension wise and Killer 7 has to be the second most twisted game I've ever played. The most twisted being Psychonauts.

The Suffering was pretty nasty too. That's another one I didn't get far in due to me not being very good.

Guest Dante Spears
Killer 7 has to be the second most twisted game I've ever played. The most twisted being Psychonauts.

Pfff. A severed head spitting out rings, a masked lucha-libre wrestler and a 70 year old wheelchair bound demi-god totally beat a telekinetic bear, and brain harvesting dentist anyday.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

I missed out Giygas!

Everyone who knows what Giygas is just went, "Oh shhhhhhh*t.". or cried, or just plain old stopped living.

Right, basically, this is a character from Earthbound a nice, fun, cute little RPG for children, and then, as the final boss you have to fight the actual concept of fear itself. Apparently, the game designer, IN A GAME FOR CHILDREN, decided to base a boss on the emotions he felt when, as a child, he accidently witnessed a rape happening. It also has a voice that's designed to be as close to subliminal message as consciously possible, whilst it's actual body is based on warped image of life and death. See if you can spot the rotting skull, the ultra sound of a baby, and a brain scan in the absolute mind-f*cking HORROR that is Giygas.

This... THING is famous around the internet for just being the single creepiest thing anyone has ever managed to think up.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I wouldn't actually call Earthbound a kids game, strictly.

With that being said, Giygas never really creeped me out, but it is a creepy looking thing.

Also, I don't play scary games, so I don't get scared during games. :)

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

I missed out Giygas!

That's bloody creepy... I now want to play Earthbound!