Fan Clubs | beta

DC

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

James Cameron's not letting the dust settle on the upcoming release of Avatar now that post-production has finished. The man we have to thank for The Terminator has revealed to the world that he's set to start work on a project he's had his eye on for decades; Fantastic Voyage. In 3D, natch.

The story was remade in the eighties as a comedy with Inner Space, but Cameron is going back to the original premise of a team of doctors shrank and injected into a human body to cure it of diseases.

Cameron's next sci-fi will be Fantastic VoyageJim producing the 3D remake

Dec 11th 2009 12:12PM

FILED UNDER: Movie news

James Cameron has cleared up the rumours surrounding his next film.

Speaking to MTV on the red carpet at the Avatar premiere, Cameron and producer Jon Landau confirmed that the next project would be a 3D remake of Fantastic Voyage.

Cameron will act as a producer on the remake of the 1966 film, in which a group of doctors shrank themselves and boarded a tiny ship to enter a human body and work on it.

There's potential for some mind-blowing 3D effects, and the technology Cameron developed for Avatar will no doubt come in handy!

Source [MTV via Collider]

Excited about this project, or not too keen on seeing a colon or small intestine in immersive 3D?

Credit: http://www.totalfilm.com

Sticking with Cameron, the reviews of Avatar are online from various sources.

A selection of scores (and comments) doing the rounds are...

Total Film: ***** - "Sure, it's taken him ten years, but Cameron has achieved no less than a rebirth of cinema."

Empire: ***** - "It’s been twelve years since Titanic, but the King of the World has returned with a flawed but fantastic tour de force that, taken on its merits as a film, especially in two dimensions, warrants four stars. However, if you can wrap a pair of 3D glasses round your peepers, this becomes a transcendent, full-on five-star experience that's the closest we'll ever come to setting foot on a strange new world. Just don’t leave it so long next time, eh, Jim?"

The Guardian: ** -"To his credit, Cameron is a skilful narrative organiser, and fairly soon he has you rooting for the aliens, not those pesky human invaders. (This may not be the most tasteful approach though, to use on an American audience that still doesn't appear to feel especially guilty about what happened to the indigenous people on their own continent.)

Be that as it may, Avatar tries to have it both ways, to be preachy and a thrill-ride at the same time. I can't in all honesty say it pulls it off – it's baggy, longwinded and, for all the light-speed imagery, just not quick on its feet. Cameron used to be the tautest film-maker around, but he just got slack" (What the f*ck the part in bold has to do with the quality of the film, I don't know).

The Sun: No score with the review - "The Sneak's advice is to make sure you can say you were there when the future of cinema began."

The Express: No score with the review - "During the explosive final battle you feel as if you are right there in the firing line. We have been granted a stunning glimpse of the future, and movies may never be the same again."

As you can see, the response (at least from what I've read so far) has been overwhelmingly positive. I was excited about the film before, but now I'm moist with anticipation. :lol

Edited by DC

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Have read that there is already 2 sequels for Avatar in the planning, wonder if Cameron will again direct and if he will look to break his own new budget record with them

Will go see it. Have good feelings for once about going to see a movie at the cinema after having to sit through the pish of "2012" and the worst film ever in "The Box."

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Watched a 15 min special about it on FX last night and it just blew me away with how good it looks, really can't wait to see it on the big screen (thsi is one of the few movies I am going to go to the cinema to see)

Guest ShaneMcCutcheon
I was really excited about this film. Then I found out it was a love story, and now I'm just semi-excited about it. Looks like it'll be epic, and some of the vietnam connotations and what it says about the human race as a species make it interesting for me, but, the whole love story thing really seems unneccessary

I was really excited about this film. Then I found out it was a love story, and now I'm just semi-excited about it. Looks like it'll be epic, and some of the vietnam connotations and what it says about the human race as a species make it interesting for me, but, the whole love story thing really seems unneccessary

It's a Jim Cameron movie. Go figure.

A lot of Cameron's films have a love story at the heart of them; The Terminator can be seen as a love story (and has been described as such by the director), as can The Abyss, while Titanic is also a love story (obviously), so it doesn't mean the movie is any worse for having that as a central theme.

Straying away from Cameron, good "love story" movies are plentiful, so I'd recommend you still go and see it. Just because Avatar has been described as a love story, it doesn't mean it's going to be a stereotypical love story.

Edited by DC

Guest John Hancock
Isn't it a samurai film set in space? I remember something about Lucas openly saying he stole the story line from a samurai film or something like that.

Dark knight captures princess and holds her in his castle. A young peasant is trained in magic and swordplay by an old hermit before they rescue the beautiful princess.

Could be a story from just about anywhere in the world really. Though I'm fairly certain he did base Vaders look on a samurai.

Well that bastion of truth Wiki says

Darth Vader's costume is one of the areas in which Lucas' interest in feudal Japan—particularly samurai warriors—is most clearly manifested.[7][8] According to Star Wars wardrobe master John Mollo, "Darth Vader's helmet started as a World War I German Stahlhelm helmet".[9]

So the Germans were in there! :lol

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/TWOstar/30987625.jpg