• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Digital Spy:

'Avatar' flies high at US box office

Sunday, December 20 2009, 20:49 GMT

By Marcell Minaya, Entertainment Reporter

Avatar has debuted at the top of the US box office with $73 million over the weekend.

The James Cameron sci-fi adventure shattered all competition despite running almost two-and-a-half hours long. The epic feature also broke ground by grossing $220 million worldwide, making it the best global launch ever for a non-sequel.

The Princess And The Frog lands at number two with $12.2 million, followed by Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side at number three with $10 million.

Debuting at number four is Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker's rom-com Did You Hear About The Morgans? with a mere $7 million.

Breaking into the top ten is Jason Reitman's Up In The Air, starring George Clooney, at number eight with $3.1 million.

Finally, John Travolta and Robin Williams's family comedy Old Dogs drops to number ten with $2.2 million.

The US box office top ten in full:

1. (-) Avatar - $73,000,000

2. (1) The Princess And The Frog - $12,224,000

3. (2) The Blind Side - $10,030,000

4. (-) Did You Hear About The Morgans? - $7,000,000

5. (4) The Twilight Saga: New Moon - $4,370,000

6. (3) Invictus - $4,170,000

7. (5) A Christmas Carol - $3,419,000

8. (11) Up In The Air - $3,100,000

9. (6) Brothers - $2,630,000

10. (7) Old Dogs - $2,289,000

As I said in "the last movie I watched" thread, I saw this in 3D the other day. A serious revelation in that the 3D both works properly (at least most of the time, and the other bits might be my squiffy brain) and doesn't cause massive headaches. It did leave me quite tired though, so don't see it if you have plans after. I assume that was a side effect of the 3D.

Apart from that, while the story is relatively straight forward (let's be honest, most are) it's still worth telling, and is told well. It's a bit OTT eco-mentalist/native american apologist for me, but that's primarily because I don't really need preaching to. I hope this movie will make some people at least think, but I doubt it...

Start rant

I'm one of the few people I know who will actually say I don't know or care if climate change is a result of man's activity. We shouldn't abuse the Earth for the simple reason it's the only home we have, and anything which might cause damage shouldn't be allowed. Pollution and environmental abuse is like a person trying to commit suicide by hacking away at their wrists with a blunt butter knife. Stupid, foolish and potentially lethal. It's like crapping where you eat, you just don't do it. Even monkeys have more sense.

That's a more sensible message than "OMG the world is going to endzor because you drive a car!" Things like the "5 miles less" campaign just piss me off. How about a "make trains more energy efficient per person than cars are" campaign, since that's a centralised network and is relatively easy to change. Or maybe a "save energy in the workplace" campaign, since most businesses waste massive amounts of energy. Or a minimum legal requirement on thermal efficiency on new housing. Or banning standard glass in new buildings and replacing it with glass which is effectively a solar panel. Or how about reducing our own energy consumption (which is still rising annually, somehow..) rather than pretty much just trying to tell the third world they can't have the same conveniences as us. Last time I checked, it's one planet and currently the developed world stinks to high heaven of hypocrisy when it comes to the environment.

Apart from the Americans, who just don't give a shit. Not hypocrits, just planetary genocides, which is so much better, I don't think. There is some irony in Avatar being an American film.

Sorry for the rant, it's a major sore point with me that the governments and industry seem to do not much beside flap their jaws.

Edited by etz

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I LOVE this film! watched it last night and enjoyed every second of it. Suprisingly the local cinema isn't even showing it yet never mind in 3D so only got to see it the small screen way and that won't be changing until the Parkway near me gets their fingers out their asses and show it

Guest Jayfunk
very average film, not even the best film this month. dances with wolves in space with bright colours, predictable, too long and overhyped to Phantom Mence levels. It will make loads of money and win oscars but nothing new, i watched holmes his week as well which i thought i would hate and i preferred it

Unobtainium?

UNOBTAINIUM??????

UNOBF*CKINGTAINIUM????!!!!!

Cameron, you need shooting you lazy, lazy Lucasandhisf*ckingmidicloriansesque b*stard!

Rest of the film was alright though.

Unobtainium?

UNOBTAINIUM??????

UNOBF*CKINGTAINIUM????!!!!!

Cameron, you need shooting you lazy, lazy Lucasandhisf*ckingmidicloriansesque b*stard!

Rest of the film was alright though.

Unobtainium is an actual scientific name used for something either rare or vastly expensive since, I believe, the 1940s, so it's not that bad (even if the name itself does sound ridiculously childish - which isn't Cameron's fault, he didn't come up with it).

DC, it's an opinion and I really don't care about your encyclopedic need to correct people all the time, it's not the 1940s, it's a sh*t name and he shouldn't have used it.

DC, it's an opinion and I really don't care about your encyclopedic need to correct people all the time, it's not the 1940s, it's a sh*t name and he shouldn't have used it.
Alright, Saz, no need to throw a hissy fit (again). I didn't correct you, as there was nothing to correct, I only expanded on the source of the name.

Guest Ruderz

Yeah Saz, sorry but I'm with DC on this one. He was only expanding a point you made, that's all.

EDIT: And on the film, gripping storyline, amazing graphics, 5 stars. It really makes you hate humans, which is a bit ironic :lol. It's Independance Day swapped about!

Don't care who you're with Rudy, DC has a habit of following people around and answering their opinions with pedantic corrections, this time it was me (Check the picture thread out for pedantic correction around the same time, followed by an oh so amusing put down.). You may notice that I don't particularly stand for people trying to "disprove" my opinion and suddenly Henry comes along and starts doing it, that's called baiting by the way!

And it wasn't an expansion it was a "well film has been doing it since the 1940s so ner ner ner ner ner!" simple as. He knows I don't care, so he's only doing it to get a rise out of me and that is heading for rulesbreakersville.

Edited by Saz

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
EDIT: And on the film, gripping storyline, amazing graphics, 5 stars. It really makes you hate humans, which is a bit ironic :lol. It's Independance Day swapped about!
On the other hand if you are a money hungry corperate man then it renews your faith in humany :lol

Guest Ruderz
On the other hand if you are a money hungry corperate man then it renews your faith in humany :lol

And I'm sure there is some anti-industrial group somewhere in the world that are going to use the film in some sort of protest. :lol

The movie has taken over US$1billion at the box office in just SEVENTEEN DAYS. The Dark Knight took thirty-three days to reach the same figure, so Cameron now has two movies from the list of films to break that amount.

Well done, Jim.

Guest MastersGonads
Don't care who you're with Rudy, DC has a habit of following people around and answering their opinions with pedantic corrections, this time it was me (Check the picture thread out for pedantic correction around the same time, followed by an oh so amusing put down.). You may notice that I don't particularly stand for people trying to "disprove" my opinion and suddenly Henry comes along and starts doing it, that's called baiting by the way!

Drama Llama! Honestly how old are you?!?

Anyway back to the film...

Saw it today and it is just amazing...Loved the visuals, the whole 3D experience....even the plot. I kinda guessed it would go all love story, but by that time I had become so engaged, I think I mouthed the 'See You' line with him!!!!

Will definitely be going to see it again soon, and at this rate (I think its at $1.02 Billion now) really think it could give Titanic a run for its money...

By the way...anyone else get slightly aroused by Neytiri?!?!

No...me neither ;)

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

My brother watched it for the first time yesterday and pointed out that if you take any old John Wayne Cowboys and Indians movie and painted the Indians blue you'd have Avatar which now I think about it is kind of true.

He hated the movie where as I love it for the record

My brother watched it for the first time yesterday and pointed out that if you take any old John Wayne Cowboys and Indians movie and painted the Indians blue you'd have Avatar which now I think about it is kind of true.

He hated the movie where as I love it for the record

I know sod all about John Wayne movies, so feel free to correct me here, but weren't the Indians usually the bad guys?

I totally agree that the Na'vi are basically Native Americans and Avatar is an apologist piece.

Dances with Smurfs, as South Park called it.

By the way...anyone else get slightly aroused by Neytiri?!?!

No...me neither ;)

Not aroused, per se, but yeah, she's smoking hot. Pity she's a digital effect :lol Mind you, Zoe Saldana isn't...