The One-Hit Wonders Thread

Guest Boyo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beefhead
While that was a hit I'd argue that Afroman is more well known for Colt. 45 then anything else.

You'd be wrong. This side of the Atlantic anyway.

Im pretty sure you mean the song crazy rap and you'd be wrong on this side of the atlantic too, because he was way more known for because I got high. Crazy rap didnt have much of a mainstream release, and while semi known in circles is like sir mix alot's buttermilk biscuits in that it is not a hit, and is in no way known by the common listener.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Speaking of Sir Mix-A-Lot:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

love this song and the only Kerbdog song mpost people hav heard

Guest Dr. ZERO

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QMFOR5wi8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QMFOR5wi8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

OPM - Heaven is a Halfpipe

Two hits:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OPM - El Capitan

The mighty Ray........Parker.........Jr!!!!!

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I was thinking about whether this would be classed as a One Hit Wonder or not, seeing as how he had a fair few with The Beatles, however, after a wee debate with Nimf, decided that it counts, so, I give to you...

George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You

[YOUTUBE]-_niy2ZM5Jo[/YOUTUBE]

Guest Jimmy Redman

"Baby Got Back" is an awesome song. I still chuckle every time I hear it, and I hear it a lot.

On a similar theme..

MC Hammer "U Cant Touch This"

Vanilla Ice " Ice Ice Baby"

Both fantastic.

Just thought of another one. I loved this when it came out....

Stiltskin - Inside

I was thinking about whether this would be classed as a One Hit Wonder or not, seeing as how he had a fair few with The Beatles, however, after a wee debate with Nimf, decided that it counts, so, I give to you...

George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You

[YOUTUBE]-_niy2ZM5Jo[/YOUTUBE]

It doesn't count, sorry DC.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZgroMdbtCw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZgroMdbtCw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Harrison reached number one with "My Sweet Lord", and as Jung said, he's had other major singles and albums. One of the albums being the best of any Beatles solo albums, "All Things Must Pass".

Harrison did have numerous major singles and albums, so he'd never count for me.
I didn't realise we were counting albums too. As for singles, sure, he released a lot of singles, but, upon checking his discography, only two top 5 singles in the UK charts (the one I posted and My Sweet Lord). Edited by DC

Guest Jimmy Redman

That Harrison guy though, I think he had a little bit of success with that band, whatsername...oh yeah, The Beatles.

He doesnt count either strictly technically, or if you look at it sensibly.

That Harrison guy though, I think he had a little bit of success with that band, whatsername...oh yeah, The Beatles.
Would that be the band I mentioned in my original post? Yeah, thought it was, hence me, somewhat incorrectly, going with him as a solo performer only.

That being said, though, if Harrison (as a solo performer) is being vetoed due to having two hit singles, then we also have to discount -

• Gala: Let a Boy Cry went #1 in many countries
  • Nena: Had a hit with It's All in the Game (#5)
  • Tenpole Tudor: Made it to #6 (the same position as Swords of a Thousand Men) with Who Killed Bambi
  • Matchbox: Did better with When You Ask About Love than with Midnite Dynamos
  • Kerbdog: Also had Dummy Crusher in the charts
  • Ray Parker, Jr: At least five top ten hits
  • MC Hammer: Numerous tracks in the top ten (both in the US and the UK)

Edited by DC

Ray Parker, Jr: At least five top ten hits

Maybe across the pond in the US but from a UK point of view he only had the one top 10 hit. At least thats what I reckon. :xyx

The best definition I found was on wiki.

In the United Kingdom, the term one-hit wonder is used to describe a singer or band who had only one hit reach the Top 75 on the UK Singles Chart. The term was first used by the Guinness Book of Hit Singles in the 1970s, and originally referred strictly to those artists whose first chart action was: "a number one hit, and then nothing else, ever." This is now commonly known as a "pure" or "true" one hit wonder, or "number one hit wonder.

But theres no 'official' definition.

In the charts hardly counts as a hit! Most one hit wonders have a second single that doesn't get anywhere near as well as their "hit".
If you're counting Mexican Wave, which reached #49 in the UK charts, how can you dismiss Dummy Crusher, a track that did better when it hit #37 three years earlier?