Fan Clubs | beta

Your guilty programming pleasure

Guest Saz

I love cheesy drama. Greys Anatomy, Private Practice, Melrose Place, all of those. I'm a terror for them. Actually watching Private Practice while i'm typing this. Tried Glee but just didn't get into it but I lvoed all 4 series of Skins.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

extreme makeover: home edition, typical shove-it-down-your-throat-all-american-cheesiness, but damn I would have loved a climbing frame in my bedroom when I was 6!!!

extreme makeover: home edition, typical shove-it-down-your-throat-all-american-cheesiness, but damn I would have loved a climbing frame in my bedroom when I was 6!!!
LOVE that show. Some awesome things! Usually makes me cry though... I cry at everything though, i'm such a girl...

Guiltiest secrets are programs that I would under normal circumstances trash and shite. I adored the last series of celeb BB, I always enjoy I'm a celeb. Total Wipeout is great as was Hole in the Wall. Extreme Fishing with robson Green is one of the best programs in the world as far as I am concerned.

My wife has turned me into a "4 Weddings" supporter as well.

Guest FreeSpirit
WWE, TNA and EastEnders are must see every week. As well as Air Crash Investigation, FBI Files and pretty much anything on the Investigation Channel.

Guest DarkMatchJobber

I love it on Jeremy Kyle when he brings out his favourite quotes such as " put something on the end of it! " or the immortal " you were lying weren't you??!!! ".

Oh,also he says every other show that a certain guest is the bravest or best he has seen on the show to date.

Guest Da Showstoppa
I'm penis-less by Hancock's statement.

I've not seen any of them. I'd like to see the Sopranos though - Mind you, I'm the biggest Top Gear fan here - so I'm happy with my manliness :)

As for guilty pleasures, I still like some of the programmes I watched as a kid - The Wombles and Dangermouse crack me up!! Not that I get to see them very often.

Guest takemethere

Gossip Girl and 90210.

I'm not sure if they're guilty pleasures as such - a lot of girls my age watch them. It's just bizarre to me that I genuinely enjoy watching programmes about rich American brats when they're the kind of people I'm constantly surrounded by at uni and I hate it.

Takeshi's Castle is probably one too, I could sit and watch it for hours and still find it hilarious.

Gossip Girl and 90210.

I'm not sure if they're guilty pleasures as such - a lot of girls my age watch them. It's just bizarre to me that I genuinely enjoy watching programmes about rich American brats when they're the kind of people I'm constantly surrounded by at uni and I hate it.

Takeshi's Castle is probably one too, I could sit and watch it for hours and still find it hilarious.

That's explained easily by the fact there is a part of you that'd actually like to be one of them, and those TV shows give you a glimpse of what it might be like. Also, the fact that they're always getting into some kind of shit allows you to experience the viscreal satisfaction of seeing them get what they deserve, even if it's only fictional.

Snog, Marry, Avoid? - Seriously, this is awesome trash tv. Slappers getting cussed out by a make believe computer, then getting "made under" to get rid of "all that fakery". Awesomely awesome. :lol

And then anything where people fail hilariously at anything, Total Wipeout, Takeshi's Castle, Unbeatable Banzuki, Ninja Warrior, You've been framed.

Oh and anything that has the title "World's most *enter word*iest *enter word* 3" or some such waffle. Particular favourites of mine to look out for are the "When Good Times Go Bad" series. I think there's 3 hour long ones including one where a hot air balloon full of fireworks explodes in mid air and starts shooting rockets in to the crowd. Also has some old lady's little dog being eaten by an escaped snake, but instead of doing something about it she took pictures instead?

Anything hosted by Sheriff John Bunell

And lastly but by no means leastly, The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. That guy was awesome. He just stick a big brown stripe down the middle of his painting, and you'd be all like "what the f*ck are you doing Bob?", but by the end of it he'd magiced it into some kind of kick*ss tree with snow and stuff on it. That show is the most relaxing TV show in the world, the guy's voice is like silk...

Guest ScottyB

Countdown shows.

Doesn't matter what the thing they're counting down is, I always get hooked. Usually in a more of a channel hopping way.

Guest John Hancock
So strange how this thread is here, yesterday I chanced upon an episode of Tool Academy, and it was awesome.

Awesome isn't even the word.

Sorry to bang the America drum again, but, the stereotypes that Americans don't understand comic subtlety is destroyed by this show. They manage to get a massive amount of d*cks, and sort of convince them that they're helping them, then, at the same time, they've put up this crude screen of "We're helping these people" to make watching the show seem more credible, and generally presented the whole thing as a self improvement, urban-Renaissance show, but, in fact, what they've actually done, is find the most obnoxious people on Earth, put them in a confined space, given them virtually impossible, or, at the easiest, demeaning, tasks, and THEN given them huge amounts of alcohol. It's so anarchic, but never once does it admit that it's a comedy show, which I someone think adds to it.

All those VH1 shows are like that, the X of Love series, Jersey Shore... they all present themselves as almost fly on the wall reality shows/documentaries, yet, at the same time, they're quite openly provoking LUDICROUS situations at every single moment, with the desire to make people hit each other.

I think British reality TV tends to be too concerned with reality. Big Brother is obsessed on finding romance, and with seeing people come together to fight adversity, and alcohol is only a treat, and bad behaviour is stamped out quickly, but American TV doesn't give two f*cks. They just want to have a big load of uneducated, obnoxious, drunk bell ends all attempted to murder each other. Fantastic.

I'm adding Bridezilla to my list for the exact reasons listed above.

Your descriptions of reality TV (both American and British) are bang on. It's why I hate the genre. American RTV is full of genuinely obnoxious people (usually the ones who don't think they are) who piss me off and British RTV is generally like watching some other boring persons life.

I'm not lumping shows like "How clean is your house" or "Cops" in with the rest of RTV. That almost documentary type style is alright, it's the BB and XFactor type stuff that really grates, especially as I hate it, and popculture insists on trying to ram it down my throat.