Fan Clubs (beta)

Android vs I-Phone

Guest Saz

After looking at both, which do you prefer?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. After looking at both, which do you prefer?

Old Ray ray sparked this idea from a post he made on Facebook, so while he hardly posts here, he still has an effect :)

So what do you prefer, an Android Phone or the I phone?

To prevent this turning into a "fan boy" argument, I'd like to swing the format to a gadget show sort of review of both phones, which means that you've needed to have played with both phones to have an effective argument, so, unless you can comment from experience on both phones, don't post or you'll just rattle people.

Suggested points are:

Ease of use

Overall cost

Games/store

Cool factor

Those sort of things.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never owned an I-phone, but I've played with them. The only downside I can see (besides that I think Apple are t*ats) is the cost for what they are. Android phones are cheaper and generally a tad underneath them. Though the higher end Androids (HTC Desire HD, Samssung Galaxy S for examples) I find on par with I-phones and a bit cheaper.

My mate had an I-phone 4 for free and (despite my feelings about apple themselves) even I could justify. I do prefer my HTC Desire over the I-phone, but I do feel that the I-phone has a lot to give, I do prefer its one button interface, most Androids need the menu, home, back and return buttons, where as the I-pod can get it done without the need for them, which design wise is serious respect.

However, seeing as a lot of the stuff you have to pay for on I-phones are free on Android (Angry birds comes straight to mind), I feel that, despite its cool interface and despite it's general coolness, you are getting raped in the pocket just to do the same things an android can do.

Is the I-phone a modern day status symbol, like the filo fax? Perhaps, but I kinda like the reserved image of the Android, it's good but doesn't rub it in your face :)

So yeah, Android for me.

Edited by Saz

For ease of use, at first blush, the Iphone pips the Android because it's so intuitave and Android takes a while to figure out the first time you use it. If you've used them before, then there's not much in it. Overall, I think it's fair to say they're both pretty easy to use and call it a draw.

Cost-wise, pretty much everything destroys the Iphone, simply because a lot of stuff that you have to buy on the Iphone is free in both Android and Windows versions. The handsets are also generally cheaper than the Iphone.

Again, when it comes to apps, the android wins for the same reason it wins in cost... because so many of the apps are free.

The cool factor really depends on the handset for Android, but put it on something roughly price equivalent to the Iphone, like the HTC Desire HD, and it wins.

My mate just got the HTC Desire HD, and it's better than my brothers' Iphone, IMO.

The Android drag-to-type system is brilliant on the HD, I've only played with it for 5 minutes and I can type almost as fast as with a full keyboard.

On the downside, you need to be a little bit of a tweeker to get the HD working properly, because the configuration it ships with means you need a portable power station to get through the day. With a bit of tweeking, my mate has got his upto 2 days between charges now, which is acceptable.

So, overall, if you're running Android on a price equivalent handset to the Iphone, I'd have to give it to Android, especially if that handset is the Desire HD.

Hate to be pedantic, but it's iPhone not I-Phone. :P

As much as I can't afford my iPhone, I love it to bits. It does everything I need it to do and more. The only downside is the horrible battery life, but asides from that, I love mine and I don't think I'd ever find any phone better than it.

Saying that, before I got my iPhone I was planning on getting an Android, asides form the one I wanted was about £500 for the handest alone. I quickly scrapped that idea.

Androids are pretty good and better priced. I've played with one briefly, and I did like it (just not as much as my iPhone, but that's most likely because I'm used to my iPhone). I'd much rather have one than say a Blackberry or something. One of the things that makes me slightly more interested in an Android lately is the announcement of Playstation Store on it.

Edited by Reno

Yeah, the Japs LOVE android and I mean seriously want to have its children, on the trains the advert rating was 8-1 with Android to any other things, so it won't be long before the big Japanese manufacturers get on board.

I love my iPhone and all, but the lack of flash support because of Apple p*ssing off Macromedia is annoying as all hell. In fact I'm contemplating doing away with th iPhone on my next upgrade, and going for something where I can actually surf all websites instead of being told that I can't view a particular website because of Apple and Macromedia's disagreement.

Can anyone confirm that embedded flash videos, and websites built on flash work on Android? For all the flashy things my iPhone can do, I'd settle for just being able to view any youtube video instead of just what Apple dictates.

In fact, the video annoys me on my iPhone too. The playback quality is awesome, but the rigmarole I have to go through to actually get an .avi onto my phone is hellish. Well, was hellish until VLC released an iPhone app, but that still crashes frequently.

That said, my iPhone is still a nifty bit of kit, but the problems are starting to stack up now. Funny thing is it's nothing to do with the hardware, it's just Apple being stupid bell*nds and thinking they're more important than they are.

Will do. The main way to check is if you're able to view all videos embedded on here. About 60-70% of the video embedded on the forums are inaccessible from my iPhone, so I have wait til I'm home on my laptop to watch Megz' cat videos. :lol

In fact, remember that "to lie or not to lie" link you posted a while back? That didn't work on my iPhone, so if it works on Android, I think my decisions been made for me.

Android market, all applications and top free, it should be the third one down after Gmail and Google maps.

Might be wise to connect to your wireless network to download it.

And it's 10.1 not 10.4 my bad!

iOS is easier to use, but Android is so much more rewarding for a little effort. Every iPhone desktop I've seen looks much of the same, yet Android desktops vary wildly.

Well it was the Desire HD I had my eye on, so it's good to know that works. I've already located a comic reader to replace my Comiczeal on my iPhone, so Apple have pretty much exactly 12 months to pull their finger out and sort this Macromedia fiasco, or my money's walking elsewhere on my next purchase. Edited by dsrchris

The Desire HD is pretty much as good as they get Im told. Better than mine. *grumble grumble*

I dont care, I love my Galaxy. Despite the lack of camera flash. Really, why have a HD display and camera but not flash? Stupid.

edit: My OS will auto upgrade when its availiable. Or so Orange claims.

The Desire HD is pretty much as good as they get Im told. Better than mine. *grumble grumble*

I dont care, I love my Galaxy. Despite the lack of camera flash. Really, why have a HD display and camera but not flash? Stupid.

edit: My OS will auto upgrade when its availiable. Or so Orange claims.

Always worth checking yourself. I'm not sure if it's the same on Android as it was on Nokias, but I found the OS updates you get directly from the supplier website seem to be better than the auto ones your service provider send out.

I actually miss having a flash on my iPhone too. It's my own stupid fault for getting a 3GS about 2 months before the iPhone 4 landed.