Fan Clubs (beta)

Android vs I-Phone

Guest Saz

After looking at both, which do you prefer?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. After looking at both, which do you prefer?

Don't believe the hype buddy, check your settings, you have to be at a wifi point to upgrade the OS for a start.

Plus you have to upgrade each upgrade, my mate thought he'd jumped from 2.0 to 2.2 but he hadn't, it had only gone to 2.1

2.2 is the current upgrade.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im always at a wifi point when Im at home. :lol

My phone had 2.1 when I got it. Just checked and the upgrade came out on wednesday for my phone, but I have to connect to my PC to do it. Job for tomorrow I think.

Well it was the Desire HD I had my eye on, so it's good to know that works. I've already located a comic reader to replace my Comiczeal on my iPhone, so Apple have pretty much exactly 12 months to pull their finger out and sort this Macromedia fiasco, or my money's walking elsewhere on my next purchase.

Can point you in the right direction of a comic reader for android if need be :)

My wife used I-phone and I use HTC desire HD. Now she has also changed to HTC. She found the I-phone was much less fun to use. Unless you 'jailbreak' it (A chinese hack that unlocks it and allows you to download any app for free yada yada yada.) For my part I played with her I phone a few times and thought it was ok.

The apps on both phones are about equal. I find the sound on HTC to be much better. The battery on both goes quite quickly if you are watching vids. Other than that the battery on HTC is good. It is very easy to change ringtones and message tones on Android. (Although you need a market app to change individual tones to each contact.) On I-phone my wife said it is harder to use coustom ringtones. Unless you have the afore mentioned jailbreak.

Overall I would say both systems are good but Android is easier to use. Oh and I use my Desire HD on wi-fi and it is a suberb speed. In fact I am posting here on my phone most days.

Edited by The Icon

Actually that's another good point about the iPhone. I never thought I'd miss being able to customise my message tone, but I do.

The only good thing about my iPhone's message tone is every time I get a text I can pretend it's from the Raw General Manager. My girlfriend's getting a bit miffed with me keep reading out text messages by saying "And I quote..." though! :lol

Actually that's another good point about the iPhone. I never thought I'd miss being able to customise my message tone, but I do.

The only good thing about my iPhone's message tone is every time I get a text I can pretend it's from the Raw General Manager. My girlfriend's getting a bit miffed with me keep reading out text messages by saying "And I quote..." though! :lol

I have the raw message tone on my HTC, it's in the Tone market for free. Feel free to call me a nerd right now but one of my contacts has Miz's awesome as a message tone.

Yeah, my brother HATES me doing that. It's hilarious.

What the hell is an android?

I know what an iPhone is, and I know what an iPod is, and I know what an iPad is. I also know what Bluetooth is, and I know what a Blackberry is. I know what a mouse is, and I know what a Nokia is. I'm not sure what an HTC is, but I take it it's one of these touch-screen phones with highly-sophisticated (for phones) PC capabilities on them.

I take it an "Android" is a new phone?

The reason I ask is because my Nokia 6300 Classic (last of the true phones) is just about to give up the ghost. I go in to my local phone shoppe and unless I want one of these nasty, rubbery "walkman phones", which I don't, it looks as though I've got to get something with a touchscreen and then download apps for it.

Question: Do Nokia still make those titanium phones any more? The 8900? 8800? Something like that. Yeah, they're a bit overpriced but they were always a pure phone. I've got an iPod, I've got a PC, I just want to call and text people :).

Cheers!

Think you can get a version of the HTC pretty cheap, like £20-£30 think it was in Tesco or something, but it was a few months ago now. Not sure you'll get many phones now that just call and text. Blackberry also seem to be on the cheaper end of the smartphone, possibly because they are a bit slower and less playful than Androids and Iphones tend to be. I use mine for texting, calling, Msn messenger, emails and internet when I'm on buses or generally out and about and bored. Other than that, I dunno, everything's all about the smartphones these days it seems.

Think you can get a version of the HTC pretty cheap, like £20-£30 think it was in Tesco or something, but it was a few months ago now. Not sure you'll get many phones now that just call and text. Blackberry also seem to be on the cheaper end of the smartphone, possibly because they are a bit slower and less playful than Androids and Iphones tend to be. I use mine for texting, calling, Msn messenger, emails and internet when I'm on buses or generally out and about and bored. Other than that, I dunno, everything's all about the smartphones these days it seems.

That tesco HTC was an outdated model though, and not really suppourted any more. Blackberry is cheap in Europe as it is not very popular here. In US it is one of the more expensive smartphones, and it is as popular as Iphone and other smart phones.

That tesco HTC was an outdated model though, and not really suppourted any more. Blackberry is cheap in Europe as it is not very popular here. In US it is one of the more expensive smartphones, and it is as popular as Iphone and other smart phones.

Yeah, but if all he wants it for is texting and calling, would it matter if it's an outdated model? From what Boyo said, I'm guessing he's just looking for something that does the job. No point paying through the nose for an indate phone if you're only going to use two of it's functions.

Blackberries are shocking can't believe they're popular anywhere. I have a Storm 2 and it is for ever crashing. While I thought the clicky touch screen was a good idea, it's actually crap as sometimes it doesn't respond at all and I'm always have to clean away dust as it builds up everywhere in the phone-including around the battery. The OS 5.0 is shocking, I've actually got hold of a HTC sense UI theme for my Blackberry which makes it feel so much smarter, but that needs updating badly so not using it at the mo. The battery isn't great either, if I've not really done much with it all day then it'll only need charging at night, but if I demand anything of it, it needs charging throughout day aswell. Can't play youtube as the only youtube player on appworld doesn't work, and crashes my phone. Appworld is rubbish to navigate. I usually find navigating on the PC and sending instructions to my phone works better and is much less frustrating. It really feels to me like a poor mans smartphone. It's been built for business type people who don't really have time for games etc, not for people who want to use all the functions it has.

HTC desire is awsome, I've had a play with a couple and really liked them. They look less destructible than the iPhone. I've seen a lot of iPhones about with cracked/shattered screens. They also look a lot smarter. I've had a play on a couple of iPhone's and admittedly I did enjoy them. One more than the other due to the types of games and apps installed on them. I don't like Itunes though so the fact you have to use itunes annoys me a lot. I also prefer androids in that a lot (if not all I've not particularly looked into it) have expandable memory options.

Edited by Gemsi

They are still doing the rounds. You can pick them up from Amazon and a few other places. Try searching Nokia 8800 Sirocco (I think it was "sirocco" they started calling them anyways?).

When I worked at O2 they tended to keep quiet about them because they didn't make much profit with how much they cost to buy in from Nokia.

They are still doing the rounds. You can pick them up from Amazon and a few other places. Try searching Nokia 8800 Sirocco (I think it was "sirocco" they started calling them anyways?).

When I worked at O2 they tended to keep quiet about them because they didn't make much profit with how much they cost to buy in from Nokia.

Yeah I remember, few years ago now, my "RAZR" was packing up so I decided to go to the Carphone Warehouse in Swindon to get a new "proper phone". The iPhone had just been launched, and the Nokia "N Series" were just a few months old (or vice-versa). Even then, I was absolutely not interested in a phone like that.

I whittled it down to two choices: the Nokia 6300 Classic and the Nokia "whatever it was titanium" "Scirocco". I remember I could have one in grey or brown? Something like that. Anyway, I wanted the Scirocco. Loved the Scirocco. Would have paid the extra £150 odd quid extra for one. The sales guy slagged it off!! He did absolutely everything he possibly could NOT to make me buy one.

In the end I went with the 6300 Classic. Interesting to find out the reason now! :lol

I used to work for a mobile phone company back in the early noughties, back in the time when Sharp launched that "David Beckham phone" and Nokia launched the 7210 ( I think) that was turquoise in colour and tri-band... and Nokia also launched that handheld games thing. Looked like an Atari Lynx? The "N-Joy?"

I used to be well in to my phones too. I had a Sony "something or other" with a "revolving 3D screen" when everyone else had 3210's. I also had a NeoNode for a while. Do you remember the NeoNode? Massively sought-after in it's day, but totally sh*t in hindsight. :lol

Oh, and I was (legit) the first person in the country to have the first camera phone, the Nokia 7650. That big bricky-slidy thing. I got one through work, specially from Nokia to me, as a reward for some great work that year.

I remember going out in Swindon, taking a photo of a hottie and then saving that photo with her number made me the coolest geek in Swindon, for perhaps 6 weeks. :)

But as soon as smart-phones and Blackberries and iPhones and touch-screens came out, I lost interest quickly.

Cheers!

Edited by Boyo