Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  19 members  ·  Free

Anime

What is anime?

Guest Anime Otaku

Guest Beefhead
In the west, particularly among Anime fans, it does specifically mean Japanese animation, things like The Boondocks are referred to as animesque.

Well surely then you mean non Japanese anime fans, as Japanese fans consider all comics Manga and all animation Anime. Which has been shown to be the case by dictionary's wiktionary's and a museum.

Edit: sorry if I'm repeating things. I somehow missed the second page completely

Edited by Beefhead

To me, Anime is Japanese animation. When I think of the word, the first thought is always Japanese animation, so I only use it to describe Japanese animation.

It is true though, that in Japan, it describes all animation. I see it as a word that has two meanings, so to speak: The western meaning, which is Japanese animation, and the Japanese meaning, which is just animation.

Or something like that.....I usually call Japanese anime 'Japanese animation' anyway. :P

I think some of the points have merit if the Japanese weren't so inclusive with their styles, something new comes up and they adapt it and put it out better, they fully expect us to do the same with our sort of stuff.

So comparing Japanese animators to European artist styles is not exclusively the same, but I'd argue places like the Bauhaus were a movement, much like Anime and Manga is.

How about this, did you know the Japs see Looney Tunes as Anime?

Had a great laugh when we saw Bugs poking out underneath Gundam!

I agree that the Western World should shut the hell up and let the Japanese decide what's Manga/Anime and what isn't. Because they included everyone!

To be honest, most of "Anime is Japanese" seems to come purely from fans wanting to be labelled as unique or special, and not labelled as "the guy who watches cartoons", with the silent implication being : maybe he should grow up a little.

Me, I don't mind being labelled as the "guy who watches cartoons who should maybe grow up a little" because I could care less how other people label me. Most of them are idiots anyway.

Everybody loves cartoons. Seriously, even the sternest faced motherfunker on the planet has got to crack a smile at Tom and Jerry or something?

I genuinely wish it were true, the world would be a much better place. Or maybe I'm just too negative :P

You? Negative?

I never got that impression...

:P

:lol Only when I'm sober... or really drunk... or anywhere in between :devil

Go on, guess what my favorite title for a TV show is...

That's right : Grumpy Old Men..... because I am one, despite not being old:P