Fan Clubs | beta

Is there a new Batman: Arkham game on the way in 2013?

DC

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Time Warner’s chief financial officer John K. Martin was discussing the gaming releases from the company over the coming year during a conference call and he was quoted as saying the following -:

“And we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise.”

It appears that Rocksteady Studios will not be involved in the next game and a transcript of the call can be found here.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the new game is confirmed as Batman: Arkham Origins will be hitting stores in October.

Batman: Arkham Origins Unveiled

Arkham Asylum and City get a prequel...

09 April 2013

Written by Ali Plumb

Source: Game Informer

Batman: Arkham Asylum hit gaming consoles back in 2009. Batman: Arkham City arrived in late 2011. Batman: Arkham Origins, the prequel to both games, is now set for a October 25 release this year, and those fine folk over at GameInformer have the scoop on what to expect.

First up, Rocksteady Studios are no longer in charge of this crack of the cat whip, with Warner Brothers Games Montreal taking over (who did the Wii U Armored edition recently) - though they will be using the modified unreal engine Rocksteady had made their own over the past two games. Head of WB Montreal's team is Eric Holmes, which will mean something to anyone who's played Prototype, as he's the man behind that particular open-world gorefest.

It's a safe bet that there will be fewer bodily organs flying around cityscapes in this particular game, which is set several years before the events of City and Asylum, telling the tale of when Bats met eight particular supervillians for the first time on the streets of Gotham one Christmas Eve.

You'll no doubt form your own list of guesses as to which bad 'uns will appear, though no points for picking The Joker or, as the picture above reveals, Deathstroke. Many fingers crossed the immensely annoying Harley Quinn will have nothing to do with anything this time around, and that Mark Hamill will reconsider his decision not to voice The Man Who Laughs ever again.

GameInformer have released a video to accompany their coverage of the game, and you can check it out below. Note just how scared everyone is about following up two games that between them hauled in dozens upon dozens of Game Of The Year awards...

Credit: Empire

[video=youtube;6d0geMX4nWA]

Guest John Hancock
Well, I'm excited! It'll be fun guessing and, eventually, seeing the eight assassins. Based on absolutely nothing other than the picture of Deathstroke, I'd say him, Hush, Black Mask (they teased him in Arkham City), someone from the League of Assassins (probably Lady Shiva, but, MAYBE Bronze Tiger), Deadshot, Bane, Owlman, and maybe we finally get a proper appearance from The Riddler.

If they're keeping the chronology of the original series, I doubt Hush would be in it as his first meeting with Batman was in the Arkham City side-quest.

Black Mask, however, is a great shout.

Guest John Hancock
Now I'm wondering how I managed to miss Hush in Arkham City! I really hope they do Black Mask, he's one of my favourite, if not favourite over all, Batman bad guys.

Now I'm wondering how I managed to miss Hush in Arkham City! I really hope they do Black Mask, he's one of my favourite, if not favourite over all, Batman bad guys.

Dude, you meet him really early in the game too. In the church with Vicki Vale. He's the dude with the bandage on his head. But of course, you'll be none the wiser until later in the game when he disappears from said church.

Black Mask is definitely there and definitely has a history in Gotham City, so he should be easy to fit in.

Hush is who you find at the end of The Identity Thief side-mission. He was set up so that he could be worked into any sequel to AC. As this is a prequel, it'd take some jiggery-pokery to bring him in to that era, at least as Hush.

Updated information on the game taken from the Wiki page.

"Arkham Origins will feature similar gameplay to its predecessors, with WB Montreal free to develop its plot and new feature, with advice from Rocksteady for technical and mechanical elements of the game. WB Montreal is adding "Remote Claw", which allows you to target and pull two objects together, as well as fast travel, via the Batwing. While not a controllable vehicle, the Batwing will allow travel across the map, once Batman has disassembled towers that will jam his ability to call. The game will feature an entirely new island, called 'New Gotham', to build upon the more familiar 'Old Gotham', which will still feature familiar locations like Amusement Mile and The Bowery. In addition, former Arkham City villains will appear younger and healthier, such as The Penguin, who will not have a glass shard in his eye.

In addition, side missions such as "Crime in Progress", where you assist the GCPD and build your reputation, and "Most Wanted", where you track down non-assassin villains, will provide upgrades to Batman's arsenal. The game will also put more emphasis on Batman's detective skills, allowing players to investigate crime scenes, gather evidence, analyze data and even return to those scenes with more information later in the game. Over time, as each case is solved, a full video narrative of the case will unlock, piecing together the crime.

Plot

The story takes place several years before Batman: Arkham Asylum and revolves around Black Mask putting a bounty on Batman's head, luring eight of the world's deadliest assassins to Gotham City on Christmas Eve to kill him, including Deathstroke. It will feature a "young, unrefined" Batman encountering these foes for the first time, while working with Captain Jim Gordon (commissioner in the previous games) and the Gotham City Police Department."

Looks like Black Mask could be the big bad of the game, J-Rock.

Guest The Beltster
I wish they would make a quality Superman game and not the usual shit they've made with that character.

Guest ScottyB
Sounds awesome. I loved both Asylum and City, and this just seems to be adding extra depths of goodness to the game. It may end up being the rare game o buy on release.

Guest Ciaran The King
I wish they would make a quality Superman game and not the usual shit they've made with that character.

I hate what they've done to the Superman legend.

On the other hand very excited about Batman, previous games have been quality

Two pics of Black Mask from the game and by the look of things, this is pre-mask-stuck-to-face-era Black Mask, which would make sense as this is the early days of Batman.

http://i50.tinypic.com/9bkqyr.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/qn09y9.jpg

[video=youtube_share;0pN0eDYQAL8]

Guest John Hancock
Black Mask looks AWESOME! Maybe one of the final set pieces of the game will involve the mask being grafted onto his face.

Guest Edgehead

Maybe the upcoming film will inspire a decent game. We can hope

Another new picture, this time showing Black Mask and his crew.

http://i44.tinypic.com/10e0n09.jpg

Rumours are abound online that the game will have a multi-player element and that this mode will allow you to be the bad guys.

Guest John Hancock

God DAMMIT the False Face Society look bad-ass.

Also, there's these;

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2013/04/arkhamorigins1.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2013/04/arkhamorigins4.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2013/04/baoss4.jpg

http://www.superherohype.com/images/stories/2013/April/arkham_origins2.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2013/04/arkhamorigins5.jpg

So that's Penguin confirmed too, and could this be a picture of the set-piece in which Roman Sionis permanently becomes Black Mask?;

http://www.superherohype.com/images/stories/2013/April/arkham_origins3.jpg

I'm completely geeking out over this game. So far, that's three villains confirmed; Black Mask, Deathstroke and Penguin. Black Mask looks like the main bad guy, and Penguin isn't a killer of any sort really, so that still leaves seven of the eight assassins to be revealed. Some of the common names popping up around the internet include Lady Shiva, Talia Al Ghul, K.G. Beast, Bane, Bronze Tiger, David Cain, and Talon from the Court of Owls. I'd love any of this.

It won't happen in a billion years, but I'd mark out for Professor Pyg. He'd work in the game too, seeing as he has all his Dolltrons for you to beat up. It won't happen though, seeing as I'm pretty certain I'm the only person who didn't think he was terrible.

Edited by John Hancock

Guest Ravenmark
John, I also liked Professor Pyg, thought it was very 'dark'. Still loved Morrisons original Batman & Robin run before the 'new 52' reboot.

As an outside chance, Toyman could be one of the assassins (again, working on the "having lots of things to destroy before dealing with him" angle).