Fan Clubs (beta)

The Deadpool movie IS ON!!!

DC

Remember the last time Ryan Reynolds played a comic book character?

In all serious though, now that Guardians of the Galaxy has proven that light hearted comedic comic book movies can still pull money in, hopefully it means the studio will give it the right backing and allow it to be the film it needs to be...

Still though, Ryan Reynolds may be a kiss of death.

Remember the last time Ryan Reynolds played a comic book character?
If Chris Evans can go from the second FF movie to being a great Captain America, then Ryan Reynolds can recover from Green Lantern (which was hampered by shoddy lighting, a poorly realised villain and a myriad of other things before we get to his turn in the suit).

Besides, a lot of people think his turn as Wade Wilson in Wolverine: Origins was the best thing about the movie. Those people are wrong because that would be Liev Schreiber as Victor Creed, but Reynolds was great in the limited screen-time he had.

If Chris Evans can go from the second FF movie to being a great Captain America, then Ryan Reynolds can recover from Green Lantern (which was hampered by shoddy lighting, a poorly realised villain and a myriad of other things before we get to his turn in the suit).

Besides, a lot of people think his turn as Wade Wilson in Wolverine: Origins was the best thing about the movie. Those people are wrong because that would be Liev Schreiber as Victor Creed, but Reynolds was great in the limited screen-time he had.

Chris Evans was good as The Human Torch though, he was literally the best thing about the FF films. But you are also right, Liev Schreiber was awesome and the best part of the Origins film, if they do have Sabretooth in any future X-Men films it really, really needs to be him.

Also Reynolds has other terrible comic book films to his name as well... R.I.P.D. anyone?

Also Reynolds has other terrible comic book films to his name as well... R.I.P.D. anyone?
Jeff Bridges sucked in that too, but he was pretty decent in Iron Man and if we were told "The Dude" was being cast as (for example) an older version of Corsair or Scorpion for the upcoming Sinister Six, I doubt many would bring up RIPD.

Some people have a Ryan Reynolds blind-spot in the same manner as the Batfleck "outrage".

I like Ryan Reynolds, he is usually the best part of most films he is in, if he is up for the job and not just doing it for the paycheque, which with Deadpool he wouldn't be because it has been a personal dream of his to get it to the screen and also to play the role.

But the fact is, despite his talents, something I've enjoyed going all the way back to 'Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place' most of the projects he in stink as a whole and therefore under the law of averages this one will too despite his love for the character and his performance.

I want it to be good, but if Marvel aren't doing it, then I hold little hope that it will be as good as it could be. Fox are not as bad as Sony or Paramount when it comes to adaptations but they are capable of some foul ups too.

Also just because the internet community wanted the movie to happen doesn't mean it will succeed as well. The net community and the 'geeks' wanted a Scott Pilgrim film, they got a very good Scott Pilgram film, they proceeded to use their skills on the internet to steal the film and not pay to watch it so unless the studio is right behind this 100% and promotes it well then it could still suffer the same fate.

But for once I really do generally hope I'm being pessimistic and turn out to be wrong. I really hope so.

Jeff Bridges was the best part about RIPD. The film itself wasn't cracking but he was the most entertaining part by far.

Ps Ryan Reynolds is fantastic and his passion for the character SHOULD push him to peform

Those people are wrong because that would be Liev Schreiber as Victor Creed, but Reynolds was great in the limited screen-time he had.

This. So much this.

I'm a diehard Sabertooth fan and Liev Schreiber did an amazing job. I still watch that movie from time to time. Besides the TERRIBLE Gambit and whatever that thing was they fought at the end, I actually really like it.

I hope this film gets an R rating and does amazing at the box office. That'll lead the way for lots more "adult oriented" comic book characters getting films.

Kevin Feige actually has a producing role here, which does suggest that Marvel Studios has at least some sort of influence over where Deadpool is heading.

It could of course be a damage limitation exercise. But the ride itself should be fun.

The newest reports have it as a PG-13 rated release. Of course, this makes perfect sense from the studio's POV as Deadpool as a leading character is riskier than when Marvel started with Iron Man and a lower rating opens up to a larger audience, making it more likely that is the reason it was greenlit in the first place.

It's a catch-22; if it isn't PG-13, the studio won't make it and if the studio won't allow it, then there will be no movie at all.

It's also worth remembering that The Dark Knight, Drag Me To Hell, Taken, X-Men 2, The Bourne Identity, World War Z and Robocop (2014 - which was a decent film) were all the same.

It's going to depend on how far they can push the rating without neutering what makes Deadpool who he is.

EDIT (via Screen Rant) - This is a quote from director, Tim Miller about what the writers have managed to do ...

“They figured out how to make it PG-13. And therefore ‘not lose its soul’ – and that’s a quote – of the script so that they can make it.”

I hold out hope that they can make this work.

Edited by DC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Gina Carano is on board as Angel Dust, while official confirmation that this is part of the X-Men Cinematic Universe comes in the shape of Colossus, who will also be a featured character.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Filming has finished (bar any last minute reshoots or pick-ups), so it's on to post-production leading up to the February 12th release date.

• 2 months later...