Fan Clubs | beta

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens confirmed for 2015 as Disney buys Lucasfilm

Guest ScottyB

Guest Jayfunk
Also, I think Yoda and Obi-Wan must have been slightly retarded. They sent baby Luke to go live with his Uncle and Aunt on Tatooine. An Uncle and Aunt Vader is aware of and knows exactly where they live. Really? Then Obi-Wan Kenobi adopts the singularly brilliant non de plume of Old Ben Kenobi.... was he trying to be caught?

As ben doesn't seem to know leia is a jedi too in the first trilogy only Yoda seems to know

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't give a rating just yet, as I watched it in German. I'm off to see this in English on Sunday morning and catch a few things a may have missed but I'd give it a strong rating nonetheless.

The film blows Episodes I to III way out of the water, I don't even want to talk about them films anymore. I might even go to say that this beats Episode VI.

It's just wow. Absolutely speechless and the Star Wars film we've been waiting for

Just to raise a point, because people bitch about the split viewpoint in the prequels (ie. Anakin and Kenobi doing their own shit). Go watch IV-VI films again. Notice that? DO YOU SEE. Yeah, they did the same thing.

Now, having just watched all the primary canon films I - VII, I'd put VII right up there with Empire.

The Good : Overall, it really does work. There are some nods to the previous films, some character development for our old favorites without really stealing the spotlight from the new characters. I'd happily go watch VIII without a single character from IV-VI in it. Kylo Ren is a badass Dark Jedi/Sith/DarkSide Force User and wildly different from Vader. Ray and Fin are both likeable and well realised, with enough hints at their pasts that you can invest in them and want to know more. It helps that the actors playing them are really very good and have decent dialogue.

The Bad: Without going into detail, I felt like I'd seen some of the plot points somewhere else before...

The Ugly : Oh Han, you poor, poor man...

In summary : A great movie. Not just a great Star Wars movie (which it also is), but just a great movie. I had low expectations going in, having been burned 3 times, but this is finally the film the Star Wars fans and canon deserved. Thank God George Lucas sold to Disney.

Edited by etz

So what would you give it out of 10?

Just home from the theater. This film far exceeded every expectation I had. I'm always weary of good trailers because they don't necessarily reflect how good or bad the film is gonna be. I figured it had to at least be better than the prequels. It was far more than that. I came out of the theater excited and emotionally satisfied. It was tremendous and I'll for sure be seeing it again. Super excited to see what comes next.

The new characters are all interesting and fun and well acted. Daisy Ridley is going to be a massive star. Kylo Ren is easily the best villain we've had since Vader but he's not just a Vader 2.0. He's an actually character with depth, emotion, and clear motivations. He's not just a throw away cartoon villain like we got in the prequels. He's very human and very unpredictable and that makes him dangerous. John Boyega and Oscar Isaacs were both incredible. I think Poe Dameron might just be my favorite out of the new characters. Also, BB-8 is wonderful. I love him.

Best thing is the nostalgia didn't seem forced at all. It was very tasteful. You can really tell this was a labor of love. I had faith in JJ from the beginning and he didn't let me down one bit.

The negatives I have are very few. It felt a little rushed in places and there were a few things that should have been explained better but besides that it's a very solid film in it's own right.

9/10 - Best Star Wars film since Empire.

• Heart 1

Guest Yodahew
Ill be posting my thoughts tonight after I have seen it. From what I have heard and read (I'm a massive spoiler fan) I may be disappointed in some things but overall it looks like it could be very interesting.

Guest Yodahew
While you're a massive spoiler fan please appreciate that others may not be.

I am only a spoiler fan for myself. As in i look at spoilers.

Just back from the cinema and loved the film. Slightly disappointed at the same time thou. Whilst it felt new i also felt i had seen a lot of it before.

This may be the first movie I actually see twice in the cinema, I think. To put that in perspective, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (I've probably seen IV-VI 2 or 3 times including watching them all in the run-up to this, and anything past 2 times was when it was on TV, and basically just background), though I've always been a fan of sci-fi and fantasy. Access was somewhat limited in my childhood though.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this yesterday and it is, on my first viewing, my second favorite Star Wars film ever behind Empire... but damn it was close and just a bloody well made film, let alone a Star Wars film.

Daisy Ridley as Rey is amazing, the work she does with her eyes and body language alone and her chemistry with everyone was excellent. So many ideas are bubbling in my head about just who she might be as well in terms of the Star Wars universe and so many unanswered questions but the genius thing is, we know answers are coming in 2017 and 2019 and I already can't wait.

It gave me tingles, goosebumps, nearly made me cry and at the end I was just in awe - THAT is what Stars Wars should be.