Fan Clubs | beta

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens confirmed for 2015 as Disney buys Lucasfilm

Guest ScottyB

Guest ScottyB
Just saw on Digital Spy that Disney have bought Lucas Films and are planning 3 more Star Wars films. This will either be great, or a total car crash. My money is on the latter.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anime Otaku
From what I've read Star Wars was originally meant to be 9 films so they possibly aren't making this entirely out of thin air but I don't know if it'd still work and with the original trilogy's popularity I don't know if there'd be the desire for a reboot.

This is actually pretty big news.

It won't be a reboot, it'll be a continuation of the story but without the Lucas meddling.

Disney have done pretty good job with the Marvel universe so i'll reserve my judgement until I've see what they serve up. But i can't help but think that now it's with Disney it's in better hands than it has been.

Here is the news report from Digital Spy:

'Star Wars Episode 7' confirmed for 2015 as Disney buys Lucasfilm

Published Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 20:16 GMT | By Christian Tobin

Disney has confirmed new Star Wars movies after buying Lucasfilm in a multi-billion dollar deal.

The Walt Disney Company announced that it has agreed to acquire the George Lucas-founded firm for $4.05 billion (£2.5bn) in cash and stock.

Disney has now confirmed that Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015.

Walt Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger added in a shareholder conference call that the studio also plans to release Episodes 8 and 9, explaining: "Our long-term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

Kathleen Kennedy, current co-chair of Lucasfilm, will become Lucasfilm's president as part of the deal.

In a statement, Lucas said: "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organisation, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come.

"Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Earlier this year, Lucas said that he had retired from filmmaking and would not be involved in any more Star Wars feature films.

A Star Wars TV series - provisionally titled Star Wars: Underworld - is also in development. It is said to focus on "the criminals and the gangs" of the sci-fi's universe.

Guest Maximinn
Hasn't the story finished?

I think it should be left alone without the chance of ruining it.

I think that ship has sailed.

They might go the route of setting it several years after ROTJ and follow Han & Leia's kids. Maybe have a couple of the old cast guest star.

I doubt they want to go down the route of totally recasting the old favourites.

I know some of you geeks will know this, but the Star Wars story... is it, like, already published in books and available to read now?

I know that "Star Wars" is nine books/films/chapters etc... but what I've never known (or care to know to be fair) is whether those 9 books are already published and freely available to read now? Also, what came first - Star Wars books or film?

From my understanding George Lucas wrote 9 films but could only get the funding for 4, 5 and 6. When they became mega-big he then later made 1, 2 and 3. And now it looks like 7, 8 and 9 are going to be made. But what about the books?

Cheers!

Guest Maximinn

My understanding is that, although Lucasfilm have never produced anything set after ROTJ, they've declared some third party books, comics, etc as canon.

For example, I think it's canon that Luke Skywalker set up a Jedi Academy in the old Rebel base on Yavin 4 and that Han and Leia get married and have twins.

Guest Maximinn

As in 4,5,6 then 1,2,3?

Apparently episode 4 was originally just a stand alone movie but, when it was so successful, they decided it was going to be a full trilogy and renumbered them. I guess he decided at that point that he wanted to make 6 but he'd already started with 4.

Personally I think the story carries more impact if you get introduced to Darth Vader as Darth Vader first and then get to see what made him change. Also the whole "I am your father" line wouldn't be the shocker it is if you watched the prequels first.

Edit: King's link explains it better.