Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Problems at TNA?

Guest bigmatt

From the Wrestling-Online Newsletter:

BISCHOFF/HERVEY ENTERPRISES SUES TNA FOR UNPAID SERVICES

- Wrestling website ProWrestling.Net is reporting that Eric Bischoff and Jason Hevery on behalf of Bischoff/Hervey Enterprises and Garett Bischoff have sued TNA Wrestling for $114,500 in unpaid services. According to the lawsuit, TNA owes BHE $101,500 from January through March of this year plus attorney fees. The company had a a contract of $426,000 per year to serve as Executive Producers for TNA television shows. Garett Bischoff, Eric's son, claims that TNA ows him $13,000 in unpaid salary from October of last year through March of this year. He had a basic salary of $26,000 per year plus $500 per match or appearance. Financial problems have hit TNA hard lately and wrestlers and production staff were either paid very late or not paid a lot.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jayfunk
I do feel sorry for TNA. If TNA was on Spike they would get twice the ratings. The channel isn't great but TNA are one of the highest rated shows, they also had decent ratings for Spike. I think these channels expect TNA to be WWE. It isn't going to happen. TNA gave both channels decent ratings for the channel itself. Edited by bigmatt

Guest bigmatt
I do feel sorry for TNA. If TNA was on Spike they would get twice the ratings. The channel isn't great but TNA are one of the highest rated shows, they also had decent ratings for Spike. I think these channels expect TNA to be WWE. It isn't going to happen. TNA gave both channels decent ratings for the channel itself.

He says that Destination America are struggling to attract advertisers to advertise during Impact. Despite the relatively good ratings for that channel, their existing advertisers aren't interested in advertising during Impact.

I think I summarised Meltzer accurately above:

He says that Destination America are struggling to attract advertisers to advertise during Impact. Despite the relatively good ratings for that channel, their existing advertisers aren't interested in advertising during Impact.

If that's correct it means that the advertisers that are happy advertising on the likes of Amish Haunting, Ghostly Encounters and Hillbilly Blood are turning their noses up at TNA Impact.

Destination America has cancelled TNA:

Dave Meltzer:

The word internally was that while they considered the ratings good, the ratings were not good enough to justify the cost of the programming. The other problem was that so many regular station advertisers specifically did not want to advertise on the show.

www.wrestlingobserver.com

Guest John Hancock
I do feel sorry for TNA. If TNA was on Spike they would get twice the ratings. The channel isn't great but TNA are one of the highest rated shows, they also had decent ratings for Spike. I think these channels expect TNA to be WWE. It isn't going to happen. TNA gave both channels decent ratings for the channel itself.

I guess we'll never know what it would be like if TNA was ever on Spike. I bet their ratings would have been great.

Also, it's not the channels fault, and it's not about expectations; it's about economics. It costs more money to make episodes of Impact than the amount of money the episodes make the channel. That's a combination of different people's "faults", but it's got absolutely zero to do with D.A. "expecting TNA to be WWE". If TNA was capable of making a show that cost less than it made, it would still be on the air, no matter what the rating was. All this talk of "for the channel itself" doesn't help anything at all when the economics don't work, there isn't some magic conversation rate where Destination America money is a different currency to Spike money or FOX money. It didn't get cancelled because of bad ratings, everyone in the universe has said that, in this very thread, and you haven't bothered paying attention. The original statement from Dave Meltzer said Destination America was pleased with the ratings, but the show was unable to cover it's own costs. If you buy a football team in the Championship, spend a billion dollars, bankrupt the club, and then go "Hey, but we won the Capital One Cup!" no one's going to give a shit, it's not about success, it's not about ratings, it's not about relativity, it's not about your literally almost decade long obsession with defending every single thing that happens involving TNA to the very hilt, it's to do with an investment on Destination America's part not paying off economically, and them deciding to throw their old car out before the wheels fall off mid-drive and everyone dies.

Please now ignore everything everyone just said and say something ridiculous about how Dixie Carter's hair is the second incarnation of Christ or something equally insane.

Guest pheadley
so apparently Dixie carter accidently sent destination America an insulting email calling the suits ''dummies''.

Guest John Hancock
Watch out everyone, Dixie's got them probably-fictitious, definitely frivolous lawsuits coming your way!

Meltzer has already said if they think they can sue then why haven't they? He notes Billy Corgan is taking the same line Vince Russo took when a different journalist printed an unfavorable story only for it to turn out Russo had sent the info to the journalist by mistake himself.

Guest John Hancock

It's good to see Corgan's complete inability to deal with negative press has found somewhere it can feel at home at least.

Question to the Observer readers, has anyone gone against Meltzer and won, either legally, or with the threat of lawsuits? From memory, it seems like the other party always backs down from these sorts of things after their scary "I'm going to sue you for being mean" talk gets the laughter and mockery and deserves.

I would classify myself as a TNA fan and I have been all the way back since the FSN days,but even I don't watch Impact anymore. Is TNA the worst run promotion ever?

Guest John Hancock
According to Bryan Alvarez, and I'm quoting him, because I refuse to do this myself, if you look back at WCW in late 1999 and 2000, it puts TNA firmly into perspective as very much not the worst major wrestling promotion ever. Nothing as bad as death-bed WCW has ever existed before or since, and Bryan recommends people look back on it before judging TNA too harshly.

Guest HH-Evolution
Oh it's definitely been overexhaggerated, but TNA will certainly have the infamy of being the ones who ultimately killed themselves over and over again to be the top promotion, despite the good fortune of having so many retries!

Guest John Hancock
They might have a shout with the record of "worst for the longest". WCW and WWF were/are both good or at least average for longer than they were demonstrably bad, where as TNA had a very short run of greatness, and a looooot of shit.

Guest bigmatt
Couldn't be that bad they lasted longer

They are bankrolled by an energy company. Existing isn't difficult.

TNA had an order of magnitude more finance that ECW, they had a massive company backing them and they still fucked it harder than Heyman did with ECW. It's difference between being hit by a car because you didn't pay attention and allowing yourself to starve to death surrounded by food. One happens an awful lot, the other takes a special kind of idiocy to achieve.

for myself I thought when Jerrett left that was when it all started to crumble. It is a shame because for a part in their history they were better than wwe in terms of what they offered and delivered (I'm not counting the ratings as we know they still wernt even close)

And then they got silly with the product and with business. And their legitimacy as a company is pretty much gone.

If Jerretts global force wrestling picks up some speed I reckon it won't be long til tna falls down the pecking order