Fan Clubs | beta

Have you ever played Pong?

Guest AmyRichmond

Guest AmyRichmond

I went to a pub in the Yorkshire Dales the other week - it was like the land that time forgot. As well as some really nice real ales, they had an ancient game of Pong. Apparently it was one of the first ever video games. It was like a coffee table, and there are two opponents, who sit at opposite sides of the table. Then it's a bit like a game of tennis. A ball bounces around, and each player has a sort of slider at their end, which they have to use to stop the ball and send it back to the other side. If you miss a ball, your opponent gains a point.

It was quite fun to play, if a little slow.

Guest Cherry-Chan

Interesting that someone should mention old games from the seventies - I went to a retro-style pub in York the other week and they had an old Space Invaders arcade game. I had never played it before - and it was free to play! I had heard so much about this game, because apparently it was really big in the seventies. The game was fun once you got into it, and I did rather like the sound effects.

I'll definitely be going to this pub again, with my friends who are into vintage, and they said they are hoping to get a few more retro items in.

My favourite retro game was Galaxian.

Same here! The original Nintendo was the console of choice in my heyday but I loved playing Galaxian at the arcade. I blew through so many quarters just trying to get to the next level. They've released versions that are compatible with PS4, but it doesn't feel the same to me.

• Heart 1

Guest Cherry-Chan

Yes, the latest report on the retro pub in York is that they are hoping to get an Asteroids machine. I am not quite sure what Asteroids is, but I gather that it was some really big arcade game in the seventies or the eighties.

Going to this pub makes me rather wish that I had not given up drinking, as they have some really good ales - I think it all rather goes with the really olde worlde effect, which York is so good at.