Fan Clubs (beta)

Alternative for Game of Thrones

Guest Revenger

Guest Revenger
As the Game of Thrones is nearing its conclusion, I will be looking for another TV show that has a similar quality of storytelling on a fantasy-setting plot. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Guest Castle
You might enjoy Black Sails, Vikings and The Musketeers. They, however, are not as highly rated as Game of Thrones. I used to love Vikings but I lost interest after about three seasons or so.

Guest Revenger
Funny that you mentioned those three TV shows because I've seen all of them. Black Sails was good, but The Musketeers was not up to my taste because they are French soldiers while speaking in English. I would rather read the subtitle to make the show more authentic.

Wheel of Time is in production by Amazon right now. It's a bigger book series that inspired GoT way more directly than Tolkien's work.

It's bigger, and also completed; even though the author died before he could put all his notes and plans into the last books. It's epic high fantasy, shifting nations & world politics, but with very realistic flawed personalities & relationships. It's a "hard" magic system that has way more impact on the plot that GoT's "soft" (nebulous, mysterious, undefined) magic. But there's even a "fate" or "Will of the Pattern" mechanism for 3 of the main character's so-called "plot armor." Written into the story as well.

Whereas George R.R. Martin liked to subvert fantasy tropes with nihilism. Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time subverts them by embracing, but remaining these tropes. Ultimately what we recognize are reflections of a circular, repetitious "wheel of time" (as opposed to our own modern linear understanding). I doubt the TV series will go far into the metaphysics and philosophy, but it's all taken into account.

It's sooo, good. If you start now, you have time to read the 14 books + prequel before the show starts. The first book was even adapted into a graphic novel to hello you get immersed in the series. In case you can't tell, I'm really excited for the show Hahahahahaaa!

Guest Revenger
Thanks for sharing that info. I'm not good at reading books as I'm only good at starting one but not finishing it. I will have to wait for the show and I hope the plot and the acting will be on par (or even surpass) GoT.

I think HBO announced they're shooting the prequel to GoT, but it won't have the usual cast in it. I bet we'll have a long wait until it's produced and ready to go. Maybe Vikings would be a good replacement series in the meantime. It has lots of action, family rivalries, epic scenery, and dark betrayals.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Revenger
I think HBO announced they're shooting the prequel to GoT, but it won't have the usual cast in it.

I would be happy if they are going to tell the story of the young Ed Stark and how he took part in the rebellion.

@Evelyn I saw that one of the top execs said that none of the usual cast will be in the new series. That means no Jon Snow. I'm not ready to let him go.

I let him go when he got stabbed at the wall. I was just surprised that he was resurrected by one of the villains, in my own perspective.