Fan Clubs (beta)

Summer Olympics

KaliR

At the very least I bet it will be postponed. Imagine how much money the host country has already spent preparing for the games. Yikes!

The host country has spent a lot already, and its reluctance to cancel a competition four months away is understandable. Japan doesn't want to rush things in the hope that things will have resumed to normal by then, but there are indications that postponement is on the cards.

It wasn't going to look good for countries to keep pulling out when it was apparent that the atmosphere wasn't the best. The competition may have been a few months away, but a lot goes into preparing for the Olympics. The postponement was in the best interest of everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what will happen with anti-doping violations and sanctions. Will those athletes have to sit out for a longer period of time or will the clock continue running which would allow them to essentially get off scot-free? Neither option seems fair to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that right after the postponement announcement, Japan's government and/or media got a lot more transparent about the C19 spread within the country.

It didn't make sense for the Japanese government to insist on hosting the competition, and if the postponement made it more transparent, the better! 2021 is going to be a busy year considering the urgency around the conclusion of most sporting activities.

I noticed that right after the postponement announcement, Japan's government and/or media got a lot more transparent about the C19 spread within the country.

Wow, I missed this. So you think they were trying to cover up their problem? Like they were hoping to make money at the health expense of other nations.

@KaliR , it looked like a mix of covering up, not wanting to spook the local population too much, and carefully timing announcements based on what other countries were saying and doing.

Perhaps it was also a way to instill confidence and avoid the postponement of the Olympics. In coming out, the government could have been doing some damage control. Its priorities shifted to ensuring COVID-19 was tackled and managed effectively.