Fan Clubs (beta)

An Idea Concerning Covid And Sports

Classified

To help get things back to somewhat normal by taking social distancing measures to the next level, do you think robots should or could be a part of officiating in some way? Take the numbers of players down, robots for officiating and crowd levels WAY down.

Taking it it to the ultimate level, who needs referees on the pitch? In Premiership football, VAR - the Video Assistant Referee, uses video footage. The linesmen in the future could be automatically moving cameras, and every decision could be beamed onto a big screen.
  • Heart 1

We are getting to a point where robotics will dominate future technology, but I don't think we need to look at it this way with the COVID-19 disruption in mind. Fans will still form a vital part of sports, even after this pandemic is over.

Taking it it to the ultimate level, who needs referees on the pitch? In Premiership football, VAR - the Video Assistant Referee, uses video footage.

And when pitching in American Baseball, a monitor of some such could be placed on the edge of those seats right behind the mound and fix "sights" on the strike zone.

Wait, so you think by just eliminating referees and umpires it will make sports safer? I don't see how anything will make football (American) safe. There is no social distancing there.

American Football may be out of luck until a vaccine arrives. With all the different pharmaceuticals working on one, I could see the NFL with its deep pockets paying premium prices for one after its approved, for their own use.

Wait, so you think by just eliminating referees and umpires it will make sports safer? I don't see how anything will make football (American) safe. There is no social distancing there.

It might not make sport much safer, but it might make decisions more accurate.

I think it could be fun. Just wait until the conspiracy theories hit about robot hacking. You know it would happen. It would be the next big thing.

But on the other hand, maybe the "robots" could be biased. I didn't think of this possibility!