Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

AEW Discussion 2020

Kam

He's just seemed different to me the past couple of years. Like he shows up because it's his job, but he'd rather be doing something else. He's been at it a long time, so maybe he's just bored with it. Or maybe it's me and I'm seeing something that isn't there.

I wonder if MJF regrets flipping the kid off during the meet and greet. The dad seemed to get it that MJF was working his gimmick, but still thought it was too much. MJF is young and I bet he didn't think it through before doing it. It's a bit ridiculous to hate on the bloke though, I remember going to events like that as a lad and the heels acted like heels. It's what you're there to see. That particular persona.

@Knox Dustin and Cody tag team during the Fyter Fest PPV. That PPV wasn't the best, but the tag team match was fantastic. The PPV wasn't bad. It just wasn't a favourite of mine. You should watch their Dynamite weekly programme.

• Heart 1

It was interesting to see Brodie Lee and QT Marshall square off. I've enjoyed Marshall on ROH over the years, but he's performing better than ever now. Still, Lee dominated that match. Who knew he had all that talent? Not Vince. I was disappointed in the bit between Hardy and Jericho. Something was off and it seemed to drag on and on. Maybe it was just too silly.

@Knox It's worth following them on social media, both AEW and some of the stars, because they give clues about what will happen in the future. It's part of the fun.

Edited by Snarky-Guru

I knew that Kenny Omega would be the AAA Mega Championship winner. He looked really strong. I somehow didn't connect that it's the same Bellator and WWE Jack Swagger on AEW until the show. Jeez. Guess I needed it spelled out.

@ShadowEdge the women come across much better after I've read a bit about them. I have a much better feel for their personalities and gimmicks. Britt Baker was the only one I knew of beforehand. I still wish some of the WWE women would switch sides. I wonder if AEW has tried recruiting any of them.

Does anyone know whether AEW's salaries come close to what WWE pays?

Edited by DandyMandy
  • Heart 1

I haven't noticed a difference in Randy Orton, but then again, I can't say I pay much attention to him. He's always seemed a bit lackluster to me.

MJF was being ridiculous, but think about it, his stunt got his name in the news and got everyone in the industry to pay attention to him and got all the fans to talk about him. Not bad. Hasn't he flipped a kid off before? I think he has. He's also known for never breaking kayfabe. Those fans wanted MJF, they got MJF.

AEW deals are not on the same level as WWE, primarily because WWE deliberately began signing people to much higher contracts in 5 year exclusive deals to make sure they don't go to AEW. AEW's got good financial backing, they do take good care of their talent. A big difference is that AEW wrestlers are actually employed by AEW and not considered "independent contractors" like they are in WWE or other places. That gives them full set of benefits instead of having to take care of that themselves, as well as AEW paying their share of wrestler's taxes like your job does for you. Retirement as well, all that jazz. WWE does take decent care of it's talent, especially when they need surgery/physical therapy or rehab, but they still try to get away with not providing the rest of the stuff.

Fyter Fest and Fight For The Fallen are just charity shows and while both of them have some good matches, they're not essential viewing either. Dustin/Cody Rhodes vs The Young Bucks is brilliant though.

@Gareth The Great, it's been all over social media for ages that MJF has been just as rude and cocky at meet and greets as he is in the ring. I think that's to be expected when it comes to heels, no? Cody's responses were funny though. He couldn't settle on whether to apologize and smooth things over or to say, "Hey, what did you expect?" to the father. He went in both directions. I'm surprised the kid didn't think it was the coolest thing ever that MJF was giving him a hard time.

It's hard to say. The kid may have thought that if he were nice to MJF, that MJF would be nice to him. Most of the time, the heels will behave that way (at least for kids). But MJF is MJF. Truthfully, I can also say that if it had been me and my son in this situation, my reaction would be based entirely on my son's reaction. If he laughed it off, I'd be able to enjoy it too. But if he took it to heart, I'd have words with MJF about taking it too far on young kids because in that moment, it just became personal. And he'd likely just continue to be MJF to me, which would just rile me up further because I'd KNOW IT and feel he wasn't taking me seriously. Not that I'd try to fight him, I know I'd have 0 shot at that. But ANYWAY, my point is I can totally see from the dad's perspective. Seeing someone be that rude to your kid and hurt their feelings hits you deep, even if you know it's meant to be entertainment.

I think Cody's reaction was the best one he could give. They want to support MJF being his character, but they don't want to alienate fans. Spreading the word like he did via that public announcement (Twitter counts!) that MJF will be MJF should hopefully help set the precedent for everyone to maybe not bring the little ones to MJF. But he also offered the apology to the family, and that was classy of him.

• Heart 2

• 4 weeks later...
Darby Allin is quickly becoming a favourite for me. I love his gimmick - it's so him. If Mankind and Taker had a kid, it would be Darby. He's got the theatrics and charisma of Taker and he's just as dedicated to his gimmick and really sells it. He has the guts, fearlessness, and the ability to improvise when necessary like Mankind.

What do you make of the rumours that EC3 is heading to AEW since WWE released him? I think the bloke was one of WWE's most underrated wrestlers on its roster, but I don't see how he'll fit with AEW either. He's too similar to Moxley, Jericho, Page, and Omega.

Well, wrestles typically only come in three or four different shapes, sizes, and heights, so it's hard to differentiate yourself too much if that's what you mean. I don't think their personalities or skills are exactly the same, but even if they were, wrestlers have been reinventing their in-ring persona since the first squared circle came to be.

MJF needs to learn some new phrases and comebacks. I love his gimmick, but it's getting stale.

I guess I'm just concerned about AEW signing too many wrestlers to their roster. It could end up like the WWE, too much talent for a few spots of action.

MJF needs to learn some new phrases and comebacks. I love his gimmick, but it's getting stale.

I still think he's hilarious. He's fun to watch (and hate). MJF is one of AEW's most over wrestlers right now.

What do you make of the rumours that EC3 is heading to AEW since WWE released him? I think the bloke was one of WWE's most underrated wrestlers on its roster, but I don't see how he'll fit with AEW either. He's too similar to Moxley, Jericho, Page, and Omega.

I think he'll be good for AEW...although I see him more similar to MJF character wise.

Speaking of the WWE layoffs, I'd like to see Rusev show up too.

Edited by Kam

Jim Ross mentioned Rusev and that AEW should give him a look. Ross has been in the business for ages and seen all sorts during that time, so hopefully we'll see Rusev back in the ring soon. WWE really mismanaged him in my opinion. I don't understand letting him go and keeping Corbin and Lashley, who are nothing special. Surely AEW will snatch Rusev up.

I think he'll be good for ECW.

I wonder if all his posturing and alluding to a move to AEW was a strategy to get signed to another promotion - any promotion. I agree with you that ECW will be a good fit, but that's got to be considered a step back in his career.

I hope all those guys saved some of that sweet WWE money. I was surprised Kurt Angle was cut from the production crew. I hope he lands on his feet.

Oops - I edited my post - ECW ended a LONG time ago! I meant AEW :oops2:

I thought it must be coming back and just hadn't heard about it since I don't follow the wrestling blogs. There's a lot of interesting things going on with the WWE, so anything is possible. He would have been a good fit with ECW though. I agree with @Gareth The Great, I think AEW runs the risk of taking on too many wrestlers. Rusev I can see because he's very different from anyone they have. EC3 is good, but AEW already has plenty of talented wrestlers on their roster. I bet he will end up with AEW and maybe he'll be phenomenal.

A lot of fans enjoyed the Lana/Rusev/Lashley angle, but it seemed silly to me. If I was Rusev, I'd say good riddance and go on to better things. He'll land something good. Would love to see him on AEW's roster.

Cody said that AEW isn't interested in signing a lot of WWE's wrestlers. I think that's smart. It's one thing to pull a coup and lure a wrestle away from the WWE in hopes of a brighter future and better schedule, and another to take WWE's cast-offs. Those wrestlers are still talented, some are even great, but it's not a good look. It will also seem like they're signing their old buds. I don't think EC3 would have a way in at AEW without Jericho. I wonder where Zack Ryder will land? He's buddies with Jericho and Cody I think.

Is Kurt Angle broke? I know he was in need of funds at one point, so we went back to wrestling, but hopefully that's not where he's at today.

I haven't been following AEW that long, but I think EC3 could fit in fine and make a name for himself there. From what I can tell it looks like the wrestlers have more creative control over their personas and feuds.