Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  12 members  ·  Free

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy 12 on PS2

Guest Reality Checked

Guest Reality Checked
I just found out that Final Fantasy 12 is coming out on PS2. I did research, but can anyone tell me if it is going to be online only play? I want to know if you can play it usually, like Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, and 10; but not like Final Fantasy 11 where it is only online on XBox 360. Can anyone help?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MojoPogo
Its not. final fantasy 11 is the online version! Which has just come out on 360 should i add. Final Fantasy 12 is an all new storyline in the epic series, and they've radically overhauled the combat system again, as they do for every "proper" ff. To be honest it looks like a cross between 8 and 9 with far superior graphics. Make of that what you will, i prefer Dragon Quest this time....

Guest MojoPogo
Oh, and its out May 26th for those interested. Unless it slips again. But FF games NEVER slip release dates, do they? *note sarchasm*

The reason they did X-2 was purely because 11 was gonna be/is online - so to make up for it as a sequel to Final Fantasy X

As Antihero said, 11 will be single player

I can't bring myself to go out and buy a new FF game. FF8 was cool, but they're all too repetitive fight sequences for me. But still, the graphics are pretty darn good.

But on topic, i know a coupla people who would like to know that release date, so thanks guys. ;)

Guest Reality Checked
ah, this is all gold! If anyone has any facts or statistics on the game, I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance, and thanks to all those who have given me facts already :)

Guest MojoPogo
Well, the main male character looks like a girl (again)....combat is real time (ish), you can see bad guys, eliminating random encounters, and its reckoned to have 40-50 hours of gameplay, but more if you play the mini games to death. Standard FF stuff really!

Guest Wolverine
They're eliminating random encounters? Interesting. Anyway, if it's more like IX and less like X, I'll be happy enough with the game.

Guest Reality Checked
eliminating random encounters? it will be intresting to see how that plays out. cheers for the info

Guest Bluestiger99
I'm really curious to see how it works out. I hated X, and I've made no effort to hide that. It looks like it will be a hell of a lot better. Here's to hope.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Twig

I played a demo of 12 at Game Stop today while my lady friend was shopping at Old Navy. They did away with random battles and what not, and it is a bit like an MMOR2D2PG. You have a team of 3 and the other two characters will attack whoever you target, and someone will even heal on their own when neccessary. Once you target an enemy you'll keep attacking (every time the active time bar refills) until they're dead. You can also set it so that you control all three completely, but who wants to do that? Since you don't enter and leave a battle mode even statuds ailments such as slow, will follow you until you cure it.

Summons are done a little differently as well. While you can expect the common summons, the actual summoner is left to continue fighting alongside the summoned beast, while the other two characters are exchanged for the esper.

That's all I could really find out. Magic spells are the same and all that, and the traditional levelling up system has been returned (that crappy power sphere system from X is long gone). I assume the weapons and armor are run on a traditional system, but I really couldn't tell.

There was also some ability called 'feeling' that I don't think did anything but make a shimmery noise when you pressed R1.

There was also some ability called 'feeling' that I don't think did anything but make a shimmery noise when you pressed R1.

This is used at certain times in the full game (maybe it doesn't fully work in the demo) as a sort of Bullet time like slow motion effect from what I understand.

Magazines a few months back gave it 9/10 and 93%, the were imports though. Random battles and turn based battles have been done away with as the CPU controls the other actions of the characters. There is a new levelling up system, so all that time learning "Junction" "Materia" and the Sphere Grid is useless. No doubt is Squares most ambitious FF yet. I have seen a 12 minute demo and the graphics are better believe it or not than FFX. Cities look to be huge. Even the way you talk, interact and fight with people has been altered, this goes for creatures you meet out in the wild too. The story is based on a war storyline, and sky pirates. There is no words gfor how much I am looking forward to this. Release date last I heard is about August-September. Till then I am playing FF5, from the Anthology.

Its good in the fact that all the true "Final Fantasy" elements are there. Its exactly the same as its other PSone brothers, except the graphics naturally. There is a magic system to learn and although Im only over an hour into it, the story has potential. But if you are a FF fan I would definately recommened getting the Anthology.