Xbox

Halo 3 Thread: News, views and frolics

Guest Clarkey

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ahsatan
37 days until Call Of Duty 4. Poop to Halo, I say poop!

Couldn't agree more! COD4 was amazing, and as only a beta too. :D

Guest Clarkey

It could prove a flash in the pan, but Halo 3 has topped the gaming charts in Japan:

Media-Create Japanese Chart

1) Halo 3 (360) 59,000 copies

2) Pokemon's Mysterious Dungeon: Toki (DS) 55,000

3) Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (PSP) 54,000

4) Tamagotchi (DS) 54,000

5) Pokemon's Mysterious Dungeon: Yami (DS) 46,000

6) Bleach Blade Battlers 2nd (PS2) 31,000

7) English Test 2 (DS) 28,000

8) Yu-gi-oh Duel Monsters GX (PSP) 28,000

9) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) 27,000

10) Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops + (PSP) 25,000

It has to be wagered that it was a very quiet week in Japan, games-wise. Some charts (there are three different data providers in Japan) are showing Pokemon Toki and FFVII Crisis Core as booming past Halo 3 in terms of sales (by about 30,000 copies) - so it isn't what you'd call total domination.

However, this means that more Xbox 360's will have been sold as a result. Will this help Microsoft get the 360 "over" in Japan? Blue Dragon helped it in it's way, and Lost Odyssey will surely help it in the same manner. Personally, I'd love to play some Japanese gaming wizards on Live, so let it happen.

Guest Clarkey

Because it isn't made by a Japanese company, and the original XBox had hardly any games which were to their tastes so it left a stigma for the XBox franchise over in Japan. MS have worked hard to correct that this time around, but again they haven't played ball apart from exceptions like Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata, and the Halo franchise. The most interesting thing more than it being Halo is it being an FPS topping the charts, as it shows as gradually over recent years the Japanese have started warming to Western franchises. Only Half Life rings a bell as being another success over there, but my memory is hazy; and arguably that was more due to Kojima giving it has endorsement than a change in tastes (not that Half Life isn't a great franchise). Titles like GTA would never have been released there ten years ago, but that has changed in recent years.

On a completely random tangent; people may remember a guy named Matt over at IGN blogged about a Halo title on the DS that ended up being cancelled. The sceptics slaughtered him, and refused to believe there was such a title and let alone that he played it. For those sceptics and naysayers, he has returned with this. Now whether you like or dislike Halo, multiplayer Wifi or multicard play on the DS would really have been awesome.

I finshed the campaign last night, i enjoyed it. The levels inside high charity were bloomin hard!

Felt a little short changed with the ending, if a little confused.

I'll no doubt pick up Halo wars to continue with my Halo fix, but it's the orange box next for me.

Guest frednut

without giving anything away have seen the part after the credits? That will get rid of the confusion.

I'm starting to finaly enjoy this game after nearly two weeks. The multiplayer is fun if a) you play on your own and cba talking and b) if you play with friends in teams of no more than four (rocket race being the best game mode). Pressing up to talk really spoils this game a lot.

I'm going through the single player again just to find the skulls for the extra achievements. Only need the last two and i've got them all.

I saw the bit after the credits had rolled, i liked how they claimed how it all came about but it still felt rather unfinished.

I wanted more from her, i wanted a revelation and i did'nt get it.

Guest Clarkey

I was scouring around the web to try and get a nice summation to try and get the jist of some things I didn't quite get, but they're all just a love in for the geeky community that enjoys the novels. Seems a wasted oppurtunity really, as with (well from my impression gandering) the strong community following of the Halo world from the novels and depth with which they seem to have gone to explain things within them; they could have used the whole universe more to make things much more interesting. I hope this doesn't become the case for Mass Effect, which is also going the novels route to tell most of the backstories to the universe they are creating with that.

On that geeky note, saw this linked to on another games forum. Someone has recreated Zanzibar from Halo in Lego. Of course he has a busy social schedule to achieve such a feat, have a gander if you're way inclined,

Guest The Beltster

I picked up Halo today in Gamestation for £12.99 pre-owned, somebody obvious mislabelled it and because it was their error, they had to let me have it, hooray for me! I'll give it a go later.

Looking forward to the Orange Box, WWE 2008 and also thinking of grabbing NBA Street Homecourt, I loved the demo I DL'ed from Marketplace.

I picked up Halo today in Gamestation for £12.99 pre-owned, somebody obvious mislabelled it and because it was their error, they had to let me have it, hooray for me! I'll give it a go later.

Actually they dont have to let you have it if they mislable it, but thats off topic. :P

It does look a decent game, but I am not a huge fan of FPS unless I have God Mode and get to kill things with my bare hands. :lol

Guest The Beltster
Actually they dont have to let you have it if they mislable it, but thats off topic. :P
Are you sure? I was always under the impression that if its their mistake, they have to allow it. The guy behind the counter looked at it odd, then spoke to this colleague and the guy said "Well you cant change it now, you have to let him have it!"

Maybe he was just being polite. Either way, bargain game, class! :)

Well when I worked at Tesco that was the policy I was also told was in place. It comes under the consumer goods act and fair trading policies i was told.

As a side note, how much do Games cost to rent generally? Particularly Halo3?

Guest The Beltster
Well when I worked at Tesco that was the policy I was also told was in place. It comes under the consumer goods act and fair trading policies i was told.

As a side note, how much do Games cost to rent generally? Particularly Halo3?

Yeah I always thought that if its priced wrong and you take it to the checkout, you get it for the price thats on it, right or wrong.

As for rental, I think its £3.50 for 3 days in Choices, but I'm not 100% sure.

The price on a product ie: a sticker, is only classed as an 'offer' in law.

The store has no legal obligation to sell it to you if it has been priced incorrectly.

Known officially as an 'invitation to treat' the store can refuse to sell the goods to you without even giving a reason.

Edited by BRM

The price on a product ie: a sticker, is only classed as an 'offer' in law.

The store has no legal obligation to sell it to you if it has been priced incorrectly.

Known officially as an 'invitation to treat' the store can refuse to sell the goods to you without even giving a reason.

Exactly. Though most places let you have most stuff at the mis-labled price.

Are you sure? I was always under the impression that if its their mistake, they have to allow it. The guy behind the counter looked at it odd, then spoke to this colleague and the guy said "Well you cant change it now, you have to let him have it!"

Maybe he was just being polite. Either way, bargain game, class! :)

That kinda worked in reverse for me. I picked up a second-hand copy of Spider-Man 3 (PS3) for £29.99, but when I got to the till and the woman scanned it, it came up as £19.99. I got the cheaper price, even though it was labelled higher.

I think it was meant to be £29.99 but the pre-owned barcode they put on it was for the PS2 version.