Cloverfield

BRM

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The early numbers are in...

Cloverfield Crushes The CompetitionThe monster movie has a monster weekend

So, it turns out that rather a lot of people were curious to see that monster. This weekend Cloverfield, JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves' secretive disaster movie, took a mammoth $41 million at the US box office. That makes it the highest 3-day January opening ever, eclipsing Star Wars: Special Edition, which puiled in $35.9 million in 1997. America is currently enjoying the 4-day Martin Luther King holiday, so final opening weekend numbers for the film won't be known until tomorrow, but are expecting to top out at just shy of $50 million. That would put it way ahead of the previous Martin Luther King Jr record holder Black Hawk Down, which took $33.6million in 2002.

That's pretty spectacular for a movie that cost just $25 million to make and with no stars. Expect it to be endlessly imitated after this success. But, please Messrs Abrams and Reeves, do not now be tempted to make a sequel to your brilliant spin on the monster genre, because you'll ruin the whole point of this movie (all experience, no explanation) and likely cause us to roll our eyes and tut audibly.

Opening at number two, Katherine Heigl showed that she has movie star power without Judd Apatow as her first solo vehicle, romantic comedy 27 Dresses, opened strong with $22.4 million.

Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman continued to enjoy a twilight years hit with The Bucket List at number three. The movie's now at $42.7 million in four weeks.

Juno is still looking strong in its march toward $100 million. The much lauded comedy added an extra $10.3 million to its haul, to bring it up to $85.4 million.

Rounding out the top five is National Treasure: Book of Secrets, which is about to cross $200 million, having this weekend brought its total to $198 million.

There was one other notable entry into the charts. Katie Holmes comedy Mad Money took a so-so $7.7 million and the seventh spot, thus given snarky headline writers across the world the opportunity to riff cruelly on the movie's title.

Olly Richards

That the movie has made a profit already (almost 100% at the time of going to press) is phenomenal. Not releasing any images of the monster has paid off in spades.

Kudos also to the cast and crew of National Treasure 2, which has not had a lot of media coverage over here.

One other movie I'm really looking forward to seeing is The Bucket List. It stars Freeman and Nicholson as two men with a terminal disease and a knowledge of how long they have left. They escape the hospital and do all the things that old men with a terminal disease are not meant to do; the titular "Bucket List" of things to do before they die. This includes going shooting, parachute jumping and other high-risk activities.

Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson in a movie should be enough, but to see their charisma put to use in this way sounds fantastic. The trailer is also pretty sweet.

Edited by DC

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this film and i have to say its a pretty/very good film tho the ending did disappoint a bit. There were some funny and intense scenes in the film. i'd give it 3.5/5 stars

EDIT-just saw the monster shown on movie web-THAT IS NOT THE MONSTER IN THE FILM!

Guest Al Stevens
Oh the motion sickenss hit me. I was verging on throwing up from about 20 minutes in right to the end but it was an AWESOME film.

Question would you say the motion is a bad or worse as the first Blair witch project?

Question would you say the motion is a bad or worse as the first Blair witch project?

Definitely worse I had to leave the theatre. Blair Witch didn't bother me.

Far far FAR worse. To the point I had to look away about 6 or 7 times to get my brain back. Thing is, as sick as I felt, it didn't distract from the enjoyment of the film and I honestly don't think the film would have worked as well without it.

There are even warnings in the cinema that it might make people feel sick!

Guest Al Stevens
Definitely worse I had to leave the theatre. Blair Witch didn't bother me.

Oh nice, i shale be looking forward to this (motion sickness never bothered me at all)

Oh nice, i shale be looking forward to this (motion sickness never bothered me at all)

It doesn't usually bother me either. This film is different though. Can't explain it.

Guest Al Stevens
I wont care, just as long as i see Clover field thats all what matters, this is the first time a monster has gotten me amped since they did the Devil in series 2 of Doctor Who

I wont care, just as long as i see Clover field thats all what matters, this is the first time a monster has gotten me amped since they did the Devil in series 2 of Doctor Who

You'll probably enjoy it. Take a mag with just to cover you eyes every once in a while. I wish they would make a new Godzilla movie he's my favorite monster.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
You'll probably enjoy it. Take a mag with just to cover you eyes every once in a while. I wish they would make a new Godzilla movie he's my favorite monster.
There was talk of a 'Son Of Godzilla' movie being made in 2008 and we are now in 2008 so who knows, its apprently why they left the egg in the end of the first Zilla movie to set it up :)