Fan Clubs | beta

Cloverfield

BRM

This film is an experience rather than just a movie. It's bloody brilliant and is the most intense experience I have ever had in a movie theatre.

The filming style is daring for a movie of this size, but it works amazingly well. There isn't a wasted moment in the movie (even the set-up is worth it, as we really get to know the dynamics between the characters), and I jumped quite a few times.

As for the monster itself; all I'll say is that I'm so glad I didn't have it spoiled for me before hand.

It is probably the most impressive movie monster I've seen in regards to spectacle and aura.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sparrow

After having a rare date with my girlfriend taken over by Renz and the gang, I must say I enjoyed this movie.

The camera work did freak me out quite a bit but after a while I got used to it and loved the move.

The monster was awesome and at one point acturally scared me, and I don't scare to easily.

Sparrow's rating 10/10

Edited by Sparrow

I didn't actually get scared in the film, but it's because I was SO wrapped up in the awesomeness in it, at some points I almost felt I was in it. As an aspiring film director, this film has really inspired me, I can't say how good it was, I'll even go to say it will become one of my favourite films ever. I understand why people wouldn't like it, same with Grindhouse, as they didn't "get it".

The story was awesome, I absolutly LOVE the camera work, and the CGI was amazing.

Seriously, as DC says it's more than just a film, it's an experience. Never before have I felt like this after watching a film, it was so intense, so exciting and god damn it, I'm seeing it again.

Regarding the monster, I thought it was

Orca, if you know your Godzilla films

, but I'm glad it wasn't.

King Reno's rating:

20/10. Seriously.

Edited by Reno

See, I didn't jump very often, nowhere near as many times as DC, and I wasn't that scared either. But I tend to only get scared by films that are more realistic and as awesome as that monster was, I can't see it being REAL real...:lol

Guest Sparrow
rumours of a sequel going about now after success of first film.

I heard rumours of a prequel...

Edit: Looks like there is a sequel in the works, but with no script written, it could be a while before we see it. Its on total film anyway, so if you believe that site then yea, theres a swquel on its way.

Edited by Sparrow

Total Film is as reliable as it gets. A sequel has been greenlit (to the dismay of many; myself included), but there is nothing in regards to a storyline as of yet.

There has been talk of it being about the same story as Cloverfield, but from a different perspective. In the movie, there's another guy filming the carnage as they cross the bridge. The talk has been about the same situation viewed through that guy's camera.

This has been mooted, but is unlikely to be all there is. My main hope is that the sequel doesn't explain things or give us an origin of the beast. I'm also unsure if is should be filmed the same way, as this would take away from the mystique that Cloverfield has generated.

It may just follow directly on from where this one left off, which, IMO, would be the best idea.

I said to Becky yesterday that this movie won't work on a TV screen. You need that sensory deprivation that a cinema screen gives you. That way, there is nothing to distract you from what's going on.

Oh the motion sickenss hit me. I was verging on throwing up from about 20 minutes in right to the end but it was an AWESOME film.

Definitely worse I had to leave the theatre. Blair Witch didn't bother me.

Far far FAR worse. To the point I had to look away about 6 or 7 times to get my brain back. Thing is, as sick as I felt, it didn't distract from the enjoyment of the film and I honestly don't think the film would have worked as well without it.

There are even warnings in the cinema that it might make people feel sick!

Just watched it, agree with the above! I had to look away quite a few times...my head is still spinning!

I liked it, the monster was good but the motion sickness didnt make it as enjoyable as it could have been for me. But as Becca said if you didnt have it filmed that way it would have taken away some of the impact of the film.

Guest Al Stevens
Wow, I have never seen such a love/hate divide for a film before. the boards at imdb are awash with negative reviews and comments.

I use the IMDB so i know thats just an normal day at the office for them :lol

King "I thought it was one of the worst films Ive seen in a long time"

Nope that honor goes to I am Legend :xyx

Guest Al Stevens

Well everyone is different which is great.

However quickly jumping back to the IMDB forums for one second to say (baring from myself and most normal people) that the iwc is hard done for Cena hate, the sort of people who post on those forums are worse than any smark i have ever come across. I have been on forums of films that was only announced and because it didn't have there hero of a director or there flavore of the month the forums are flooded with "This movie is going to suck" and "who in there right mind would go and see this film".

Edited by Al Stevens

I thought it was one of the worst films Ive seen in a long time but opinions vary.

I know, but in this case it is such a wide divide. I havent seen one view that said it was fair-good, its either been labelled as brillaint or rubbish.

To be honest, I feel it has the same effect as grindhouse towards to viewers. Lots of people didn't "get it" meaning they didn't like it, and the ones that did "get it" seemed to love it, but just remember that this is my opinion. I was reading somewhere that hated Cloverfield as it was too "original". I am all for original idea's, and this is seriously one of the best films I've ever seen, I'm not sure what it was about it but it was just... amazing. Whereas I heard alot of tuts and complaints after the movie ended.