Fan Clubs | beta

Guitar buying advice!

Guest Nicole

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explorers, V's. BC Rich's are just horrible looking because there all spiky looking and crap and Deans just don't sound or look nice. The shape of the ESP Grynch is nice aswell as it's simple, yet works really well.

Guest SimonJamesJones
I missed your point about them not looking hardcore, whats that got to do with how good a guitar is?
My point was that I never understood why metal guys, would end up with a Les Paul. Music industry is 95% image, and you see some hardcore metal band looking all gnarly, with some poncey looking guitar ruining the aesthetic.

I also said I didn't particularly like the feel, or the way they played. It wasn't just about how they look, I just don't like them at all, never have, and never understood why people cream over them

Guest Al Stevens
Honestly, I just don't see why having a "cool" shape has any bearing on what kind of guitar you'd buy. Just because it's the same shape as one played by Dimebag don't mean your going to sound like him. Surely sound quality and playability are more important?

The ones i have put up are the ones i am going to get because i have played and i know feel comfortable with, i guess the best way to look at it is like Cricket bats. Why go for the heaviest bats when you can't get the timing right but if you go for a light bat well your stroke play would result in you booking yourself into clinics for going to earily.

So yeah because i have played them i know there nice and i can manage them easy (also there is nothing wrong with the Encore Telecaster which you can pick up from Littlewoods for about £69, i would feel happy taking that on stage as well).

Oh and there is nowt wrong with the Les Pauls as well

Guest The Crippler

Jeez guys, some of those guitars posted in this thread are diabolical. :lol

I wouldn't get a V shaped guitar because they are rather naff.

I got myself a new Fender Telecaster this week and it is bloody ace. I can't put it down and I feel like I'm a much better guitarist than I had previously thought!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this back up but I've been sifting through www.guitarampkeyboard.co.uk (which i'm told is the cheapest place on the internet), and i'm making a shortlist of guitars. Just thought I might get a little feedback from the guitar playing people of TWO...

Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/rs/pic/58862.jpg

Price: £329

Specifications: Classic pickups, mahogany neck and body, carved maple top, 22-fret rosewood fingerboard, cream binding on body, fingerboard, and headstock, block pearloid inlays.

Epiphone G400

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/rs/pic/19889.jpg

Price: £179

Specifications: Pickups - 2 Alnico V Humbuckers, Hardware - chrome, Scale - 24.75", Nut Width - 1.68", Neck Joint - Set, Neck Material - Mahogany, Fingerboard - Rosewood/Trapezoid, Binding - None, Body Material - Mahogany, Finishes - Cherry

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/rs/pic/60870.jpg

Price: £289

Specifications: Classic LP design, classic chrome humbuckers, mahogany body, carved maple top, Rosewood fingerboard, cream body and fretboard binding, chrome hardware.

At the moment they're the three I'm leaning between, although I'm also quite intrigued by this...

Epiphone Les Paul Studio Pirates of the Caribbean Due 07

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/rs/pic/9871318.jpg

Price: £299

Specifications: Body: Solid Mahogany, Neck: Mahogany, Fingerboard: Rosewood, Inlay: Skull & Crossbone, Neck Join: Set, Scale: 24.75", Pickups: 2x Open Coil Humbuckers, Controls: 2x Vol, 2x Tone, 3-Way Switch, Hardware: Black Chrome, Finish: Ebony with Pirate Artwork

However, I am also considering this acoustic guitar...

Yamaha FG413S

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/rs/pic/8970758.jpg

Price: £165

Specification Top: Solid sitka spruce, Back & sides: Nato, Neck: Nato, Fingerboard: Rosewood, Bridge: Rosewood, Body depth: 100-118mm (3.93“-4.64“), Scale length: 650mm (25.59“), Tuning machines: Diecast chrome, Shape: Dreadnought, Finish: High gloss.

Just wondered if you guys (and girls) had any thoughts on these guitars, which could help me decide. Cheers.

Sorry to drag this back up but I've been sifting through www.guitarampkeyboard.co.uk (which i'm told is the cheapest place on the internet), and i'm making a shortlist of guitars. Just thought I might get a little feedback from the guitar playing people of TWO...

Just wondered if you guys (and girls) had any thoughts on these guitars, which could help me decide. Cheers.

For my taste and for the money I'd go all the way with the Black Beauty, solid mahogany neck and body is going to give you the most amazing tone and sustain for what is really a bargain price. the triple humbuckers will give you a very powerful rock sound but will probably take the treble off the top of the sound but with any solid body guitar thats as thickly cut as a les paul.

The SG is for my money a compromise between being as rocky as a les paul and giving up some of the sustain and bass for a slightly more trebley top end that will work with some styles of music but it'll won;t give you that "balls to wall" feel of a Les Paul.

The Les Paul standard is a great guitar and the maple top is I think an iconic and bautiful pice of crafting whatever colour you get it in. For £50 les than the BB it's a tempting price.

You'll regret paying extra money for artwok on a guitar which will date within a few years. The matt machine heads and metal work is nice but I think you'd regret having a POTC guitar when your a serious player.

As for the acoustic, well the most important thing with any acoustic is to give is a really solid play for 30 mins or more and see what it does to your fingers. if the actions is too high or it sits uncomfortably when you play then you'll be stuck trying to flog it for as close the price you bought it for. Acoustics (unlike electrics) aren't as closely governed by make or model. You should playa s many as you can and see which you like the feel and sound of. New Acoustics will change over time to give a mellower, more round sound. I own a 1970's fender dreadnought which was my dads, when first bought it was quite bright and thin but through 30 years of playing it has a tone you couldn't replicate with a new guitar if you tried. 2nd hand acoustics can be nicer than new but thats again something you should try out first.

any help Ray-Ray?

At the moment they're the three I'm leaning between, although I'm also quite intrigued by this...

However, I am also considering this acoustic guitar...

Personally, I think Epiphone's suck, but they're fine if you're just gonna play with yourself... hehehe.

Can I ask why you think they suck?

My first electric was a brand new epiphone les paul and I had all kinds of problems from the pickups, to the neck bending, to a random killswitch automatically showing up. The guitar cost twice as much as the sticker with all the repairs. The sound was fine for what I doing... when the sound worked.

Guest Nicole

J's got an epiphone Explorer and nothings ever gone wrong with it. Only thing he's ever done to it is upgrade the pickups to EMG's *** they sound sexy.

Still haven't decided on a guitar yet :S Plenty of time yet.

Nic, are you buying an amp/monitors aswell?

I think I might hint to his family to get him those things.

He definately needs a pair of in-ear monitors, and I've seen a shure pair which are nice and stuff.

He's currently using a Vox amp as his gigging amp, which to be fair has had a lot of compliments from people who use a head and cab. I think he's buying a cab to go with his vox to see if it changes the sound too much.

I think I'll end up buying gig bags, stands, pics and strings and so on to go with the main present of the guitar because it's all things which will make his life, and my life easier hopefully.

Edited by Nicole

Guest Kanenite

I've been pretty serious about getting a guitar for the past couple of months and now i'm going to start saving for one, I should have enough my March time and if I get a job even sooner. So i've been looking at quite a lot of guitars and I think i'm pretty much dead set on getting this beauty:

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Epiphone-Les-Paul-100---Ebony~ID~2790.asp

Also amp wise and kit i'm thinking of this:

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall---Rock-Box-Guitar-Amp-Kit~ID~3661.asp

Any advice? They any good?

Guest Al Stevens

For a practice amp you wouldnt really need that much of a watts. I mean i have a 15 watt bass amp (cause my first guitar was a bass) and thats even nice to use now for trying to crack out some riffs on.

Gutair wise it's a nice looking guitar, the pick ups are the same ones off my new guitar which gives off a very nice tone and also yes one final tip if your strings break (and they will) i would personally use Erine Ball super slinky (there in a pink package) gauge 9 or 10. i have them on my encore and they dont feel like they are taking layers off the fingers

For new players I'd advised 9's as Tens can feel heavy and unbendable to the uninitiated! Tens will give you a thicker, mroe rocky, bassey sound and the nines are lighter (duh!), easier to bend abnd solo on. Alot of peole buy hybrid sets with 10's for the lower strings and 9's (or even 8's) on the top for the widdly bits.

I use nines on my strat and tele and 10's on my les paul given the different jobs they do and the fact I don't really play lead..