Fan Clubs | beta

Guitar buying advice!

Guest Nicole

Thought I'd bring up this thread to tell of my sneakyness.

Went to PMT in Birmingham to pick up some monitors with J. Was looking around guitar section, and we stopped at the Jacksons and they had the regular V and the Randy Rhodes version. I was like oooh jacksons, this ones nice - pointed the regular, and he said he wasn't that struck and he preferred the other one. SCORE.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Jackson---JS30-RR---Rhoads~ID~4145.asp

Thats what he's getting now :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Epiphone's these days are a lot better than they were like 7-8 years ago. I bought one and changed half of it, pickups, tuning pegs, switches etc.

But I bought a LP Custom a few years ago and that's miles better.

And 15 watts will be fine, but remember people watts means power not volume. Look at the size of the speakers for an example of how loud something is. But yeah I used to have a Marshall 10 watt when I first started and that is fine for bedroom playing.

Guest Kanenite
Epiphone's these days are a lot better than they were like 7-8 years ago. I bought one and changed half of it, pickups, tuning pegs, switches etc.

But I bought a LP Custom a few years ago and that's miles better.

And 15 watts will be fine, but remember people watts means power not volume. Look at the size of the speakers for an example of how loud something is. But yeah I used to have a Marshall 10 watt when I first started and that is fine for bedroom playing.

Cheers :xyx I ended up buying it this morning, delivery is estimated tomorrow so i'm chuffed, can't wait!

Guest Kanenite
I got my guitar today, it's awesome. I've not really done much with it, just getting used to everything, i'm going to sit down and watch the Tutorial DVD I got with it in a bit to see what that has to offer.

Be aware that a bolt on neck will lose an amount of sustain and you'll need to keep an eye of your action if you don't store it in it's case or on a proper stand as the bolt can be a source of neck warp although it's easier to sort out than through necks or set in necks....

Guest Kanenite
Cheers for the advice guys, any websites would be appreciated. I think i'm a bit more accurate than yesterday. I've just been going through basic strumming, a few notes and some chords. I realise I need to be a lot more precise with my positioning or the note sounds flat as i'm doing a lot. Last night I thought bloody hell this is so hard I doubt i'll ever get it, but I realise when i'll stick with it i'll gradually get better, it's the patience I need, but i'm going to keep at it definitely, it's great so far.

Guest Nicole
Eugh I've changed my mind again. I think I'm gonna get him the ESP LTD EX 50 in Titanium now. He's got an explorer already, but it's black and an epiphone so it would be cool for him to have a different colour guitar.

Buy a chord book and go through all the major chords and then all the minor chords and practice them. When you feel comfortable with that then try some of the variants and you'll soon find it easier to get to grips with them. I never got lessons so my technical knowledge of scales and what precise chord names are is shocking but there's no reason you can't be a decent guitarist by just "knowing" what shapes make what chords. Play as much as possible as that will also fixate in your head what chords sound like making it easier when being creative to "know" where to go for the next chord instead of trying every possible combo from a book! :D

I'd also advise trying to pick up a cheap accoustic. They require a little more effort to play using your fretting hand which helps build up strength in it. electrics are easy to play in comparison fretting wise so use that to practice new chords or scales and then have a good long strum (oo er) on the acoustic afterwards to improve your overall playing.

Just my advice....

Edited by Omega